Poll

Will the Pacers trade Domantas Sabonis before the upcoming trade deadline?

Yes
13 (61.9%)
No
8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Rumor: Pacers are listening to trade offers for Domantas Sabonis  (Read 27310 times)

Re: Rumor: Pacers are listening to trade offers for Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2019, 08:16:46 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Siakam got $130M  over 4 years so I guess that is what Sabonis wants.  I like the player and the roster balancing it would create but too rich for me if we have to trade Brown and pay that much.  Hard to see a deal in this.  Indiana doesn't really need Brown when they have Brogdan, Olidipo, and Warren.  Maybe Langford and a future pick?  Probably not enough.

Just saw something that said Sabonis won't take a penny less than Myles Turner's current deal. If the Pacers can sign him for 4 yrs / $72M, they should probably just do it and then figure out the logistics later.

Edit: here is the tweet from Grant Afseth(?):
According to a league source, Indiana Pacers center Domantas Sabonis is not willing to take "a penny less" than what Myles Turner received on his four year, $72 million contract extension.

I'd trade modest assets for him if he'd do that deal with us. I'd much rather keep Brown, but if he's going to be a max-salary headache then locking down Sabonis for $18M/year and letting the Brown situation play out is somewhat attractive. In the meantime, we could roll out a Walker/ Brown/ Tatum/ Hayward/ Sabonis starting lineup which would be a real pain in the neck in the east.

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Siakam got $130M  over 4 years so I guess that is what Sabonis wants.  I like the player and the roster balancing it would create but too rich for me if we have to trade Brown and pay that much.  Hard to see a deal in this.  Indiana doesn't really need Brown when they have Brogdan, Olidipo, and Warren.  Maybe Langford and a future pick?  Probably not enough.

Just saw something that said Sabonis won't take a penny less than Myles Turner's current deal. If the Pacers can sign him for 4 yrs / $72M, they should probably just do it and then figure out the logistics later.

Edit: here is the tweet from Grant Afseth(?):
According to a league source, Indiana Pacers center Domantas Sabonis is not willing to take "a penny less" than what Myles Turner received on his four year, $72 million contract extension.

I'd trade modest assets for him if he'd do that deal with us. I'd much rather keep Brown, but if he's going to be a max-salary headache then locking down Sabonis for $18M/year and letting the Brown situation play out is somewhat attractive. In the meantime, we could roll out a Walker/ Brown/ Tatum/ Hayward/ Sabonis starting lineup which would be a real pain in the neck in the east.

Yeah, that's practically Terry Rozier money for Sabonis. I'd even give him 20 million a year for 4 years.

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If it is true that you can get Sabonis for Turner money and not Siakam money, that becomes much better value.

« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I知 not sure I see a need to push for a deal any time soon.  Why not wait until we get deeper into the season to see where Brown is with potentially better team chemistry?

« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I知 not sure I see a need to push for a deal any time soon.  Why not wait until we get deeper into the season to see where Brown is with potentially better team chemistry?

I知 not in favor of trading for Sabonis, but if the Pacers are looking to deal him, they池e presumably trying to do so in advance of the deadline for him to sign and extension on Monday, so that he could get one with his new team.

« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2019, 09:51:43 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I知 not in favor of trading for Sabonis, but if the Pacers are looking to deal him, they池e presumably trying to do so in advance of the deadline for him to sign and extension on Monday, so that he could get one with his new team.

Ahh that makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.

« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2019, 10:10:12 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I have no problem if the Celts decide they aren't interested in a Brown for Sabonis trade because they think Brown is a better player or that he has a brighter future, or they are worried about Sabonis' defense or they don't want to pay him the kind of money he's looking for. I just think some people are underestimating Sabonis, he's a very good young big with a bright future and his defense is not as bad as some here have suggested.

« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2019, 11:14:23 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I have no problem if the Celts decide they aren't interested in a Brown for Sabonis trade because they think Brown is a better player or that he has a brighter future, or they are worried about Sabonis' defense or they don't want to pay him the kind of money he's looking for. I just think some people are underestimating Sabonis, he's a very good young big with a bright future and his defense is not as bad as some here have suggested.

So true.

TP

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

If Sabonis or Brown were traded midseason, would their new teams still have their rights as restricted free agents?  Or would a midseason trade allow the players to be unrestricted after the season? 

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2019, 10:12:39 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

If Sabonis or Brown were traded midseason, would their new teams still have their rights as restricted free agents?  Or would a midseason trade allow the players to be unrestricted after the season? 

If Boston and Indiana swapped Brown and Saboins both teams would maintain full bird rights along with their RFA status.

« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2019, 10:26:08 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

If Boston and Indiana swapped Brown and Saboins both teams would maintain full bird rights along with their RFA status.

TP, thanks.  I was just wondering if this is something that could be revisited midseason.  If teams still have rights to their RFA status, then it could still make sense.

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think the point of Sabonis defense is being missed. The claim was that big men are more valuable. That is only true when a big provides a wider presence that improves the team defense. A subset of bigs do that. Most don't. Sabonis is not a terrible defender, but he just doesn't give a team the kind of rim protection and defensive size that makes a big worth more.

You could make an argument that Sabonis is a better player than Myles Turner. But Turner has the kind of defensive value that teams will overpay for.  Sabonis doesn't bring that.

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

TP, thanks.  I was just wondering if this is something that could be revisited midseason.  If teams still have rights to their RFA status, then it could still make sense.

At least from my POV the issue is a straight Brown/Sabonis swap isn't fair value for the Celtics.  I'd like to send them Hayward, but that would be extremely complicated.  Now, if Indiana was willing to add some other quality asset to a deal for Brown, that might be something that could work.

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

At least from my POV the issue is a straight Brown/Sabonis swap isn't fair value for the Celtics.  I'd like to send them Hayward, but that would be extremely complicated.  Now, if Indiana was willing to add some other quality asset to a deal for Brown, that might be something that could work.

I agree, but I think that could change during the season.  If Brown doesn't make the jump in his game that I'm hoping for and we see even modest improvements from Sabonis, it could be a fair trade in a few months and could address the team's needs.  I think it's worth monitoring if Indiana doesn't find another trade partner.

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So in trying to put the two reports together regarding Brown's and Sabonis' contract demands, have people's opinion changed on the matter?

For reference, Sabonis reportedly won't take less than $18M/yr over 4 years (Myles Turner contract) and Brown is reportedly close to signing for $120M over 4 years.

Would you rather have Sabonis at $18M/yr or Brown at $30M/yr? I have always been in the pro-Brown camp and believe his ceiling is higher moving forward, but I do wonder if Sabonis might represent better value at a position of more need.