Author Topic: What trade do you think Danny is working on?  (Read 29985 times)

Re: What trade do you think Danny is working on?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 06:48:20 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Bradley Beal hopefully... 8)

I am not as high on Bradley Beal.
But just for kicks; What would you give up for him?
Smart + brown + yabu + Memphis pick would be what I would give up without getting into a bidding war

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 06:51:42 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Bradley Beal hopefully... 8)

I am not as high on Bradley Beal.
But just for kicks; What would you give up for him?
Smart + brown + yabu + Memphis pick would be what I would give up without getting into a bidding war

I don’t think Beal is good enough to warrant such a generous return..that’s even more than what the Clips gave up for George.

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 07:01:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
That does seem strange.  Let me offer this:

Towns and Wiggins for Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford, Carson Edwards, and Yabusele.

We may need to include more salary to get that to work. Theis? Other?

I'll get killed for that, but what the heck....

Salaries work!  Not what I’d do, but I like the creativity!

I honestly can’t think of what it would be — it would need to be something that wouldn’t be there in 30 days or wouldn’t work if the draftee(s)’ salary was included.  Getting involved in a Miami-OKC or Houston-OKC deal perhaps?

OKC sends Westbrook, receives Jaylen, Eric Gordon, and a C’s draftee.
Houston sends Capela, Gordon, one of their young guys making the minimum, receives Westbrook and Rob Williams.
Celtics send Jaylen, Williams, and a draftee, receives Capela, Houston minimum salary prospect.

I’m not a fan, as I’ve been advocating for Jaylen, but it seems like the type of trade OKC and Houston would both do.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I don't think there's anything going on.  If Danny had any reasonable expectation of moving our draft picks, I think they'd be held out of summer league.

At some point Yabu needs to get his walking papers, though.  We'll probably keep him until mid-January at least, but the guy doesn't deserve a roster spot.

I don’t think that’s accurate.  I doubt the draftee would be the centerpiece of a deal, so an injury would not scuttle a deal or another draftee would be put in his place if it were such a problem.

I don’t think a deal is likely, mind you, but it’s quite odd that the C’s haven’t signed any of their picks.  It’s also holding up Theis and Kanter signing their deals, because presumably they’ll use cap room to give Edwards a little more than the rookie minimum in year 1.  There’s enough potentially brewing for agents to be patient and not demand to sign yet.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 07:10:57 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
more draft picks so he can draft more guards
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 07:13:52 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I don't think there's anything going on.  If Danny had any reasonable expectation of moving our draft picks, I think they'd be held out of summer league.

At some point Yabu needs to get his walking papers, though.  We'll probably keep him until mid-January at least, but the guy doesn't deserve a roster spot.

I don’t think that’s accurate.  I doubt the draftee would be the centerpiece of a deal, so an injury would not scuttle a deal or another draftee would be put in his place if it were such a problem.

I don’t think a deal is likely, mind you, but it’s quite odd that the C’s haven’t signed any of their picks.  It’s also holding up Theis and Kanter signing their deals, because presumably they’ll use cap room to give Edwards a little more than the rookie minimum in year 1.  There’s enough potentially brewing for agents to be patient and not demand to sign yet.

Keith Smith had a tweet 4 hrs ago, he said he looked into it and that nothing was happening. They are expected to sign soon.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 07:24:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Keith Smith had a tweet 4 hrs ago, he said he looked into it and that nothing was happening. They are expected to sign soon.

So I guess there is a trade brewing, then.

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

So I guess there is a trade brewing, then.
Trade Brown for a big?

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
That does seem strange.  Let me offer this:

Towns and Wiggins for Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford, Carson Edwards, and Yabusele.

We may need to include more salary to get that to work. Theis? Other?

I'll get killed for that, but what the heck....

I agree that almost any trade for Town that may occur because of a deteriorating competitive situation in Minnesota will involve taking on the Wiggins albatross contract. I'm not sure that they would be interested in Hayward but that tempting platter of young players other than Yabusele is interesting and it's possible that Hayward might opt out of his final year. Maybe?

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Not that I think anything is happening, but our highest (and highest paid) draft pick is not playing in summer league. I highly doubt the Cs give up Grant or Carsen just based on contract value. And I can't imagine Tremont Waters is make or break in any deal.

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't think players are generally that interchangeable.  Teams usually make trades because they like individual players, although I suppose the "pick one" approach has happened at least once before (Kedrick Brown vs. Joe Johnson to Phoenix).

My guess is that the team is just negotiating Edwards' contract, and that they'll do a press conference with the top three rookies all at once.  To that point:

Adam Himmelsbach
‏Verified account @AdamHimmelsbach
6h6 hours ago

Hearing that the Celtics have been having contract discussions with second-round pick Carsen Edwards, looking at a few different concepts related to guarantees etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:40:52 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see any trade happening.  just an unusually slow signing of players.  at most, maybe a deal of Yabu and Waters for a cheap vet on an expiring deal that the other team would like to dump

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 08:54:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I don't think players are generally that interchangeable.  Teams usually make trades because they like individual players, although I suppose the "pick one" approach has happened at least once before (Kedrick Brown vs. Joe Johnson to Phoenix).

My guess is that the team is just negotiating Edwards' contract, and that they'll do a press conference with the top three rookies all at once.  To that point:

Adam Himmelsbach
‏Verified account @AdamHimmelsbach
6h6 hours ago

Hearing that the Celtics have been having contract discussions with second-round pick Carsen Edwards, looking at a few different concepts related to guarantees etc.

Even so, that would still be a departure from 2017, when Tatum and Zizic signed July 1st, and Ojeleye signed his deal on July 18th.  Edwards would hold up the signing of Theis and Kanter for cap reasons, but Langford and Williams have a cap hold which will equal their salary.

Again, it’s likely there is no deal, and this thread was meant to be more entertaining (come up with your crazy Towns-Wiggins trade ideas) than some have taken it, but the most plausible reason for Langford and Williams to have not signed is because there is some possibility that Ainge is keeping open.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I thinks its more apt to have a trade once recemtly signed players have been here for long enough to be able to be traded. 90 days I believe?

Then you have kanter, yabu, langford, theis as possible trade pieces.

All at over 3 mill per players. Some closer to 5 million and with 3 potential first round picks next season there is plenty of ability to snag a player somewhere.

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 03:22:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I thinks its more apt to have a trade once recemtly signed players have been here for long enough to be able to be traded. 90 days I believe?

Then you have kanter, yabu, langford, theis as possible trade pieces.

All at over 3 mill per players. Some closer to 5 million and with 3 potential first round picks next season there is plenty of ability to snag a player somewhere.
After signing for the Celtics, Kanter and Theis won't be able to be traded til Decmber/January.

The roster is quite balanced at the moment, there are screaming gaps in one place over another. That makes me think that it wouldn't be a sideways move he's looking at. Around the league there are a few high level players closer to becoming available like Beal and Towns. But they aren't quite there yet.

If I had to guess I think it'd be a big trade involving the Hayward contract, but as I want to keep him I'm gonna call the chances low  ;D