Author Topic: Once Zion is in the NBA...  (Read 6616 times)

Once Zion is in the NBA...
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
How will his game translate? He’s a man amongst boys in the NCAA right now, just bulls everyone over...It won’t be that simple once he gets to the NBA and other than his spectacular dunking ability, everything else seems raw. 3pt shooting 29%, FT 66%, Ast 2.2, Blk 1.8, Stl 2.2. Doesn’t  have great ball handling skills. What do you think his ceiling/floor is?

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Once Zion is in the NBA...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How will his game translate? He’s a man amongst boys in the NCAA right now, just bulls everyone over...It won’t be that simple once he gets to the NBA and other than his spectacular dunking ability, everything else seems raw. 3pt shooting 29%, FT 66%, Ast 2.2, Blk 1.8, Stl 2.2. Doesn’t  have great ball handling skills. What do you think his ceiling/floor is?
I think ten years from now people are going to look back and think how silly they were for thinking Zion was the next transcendental talent. Not saying he won't be good or won't be able to carve out a nice career, but the next Lebron/Barkley he is not.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:46:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think ten years from now people are going to look back and think how silly they were for thinking Zion was the next transcendental talent. Not saying he won't be good or won't be able to carve out a nice career, but the next Lebron/Barkley he is not.

That's how I feel.  Scottie Pippen said something along the lines of Zion being the biggest rookie prospect to hit the league since MJ.  It's crazy to me.

The guy is an insane athlete.  But, between his height and range, I don't think he's a lock to be a superstar.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:48:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think he's going to probably be a good pro.  absolute best case would be a healthy Larry Johnson.  Barring an unforeseen injury, I think his floor is a solid starter. 

not getting the hype where he'd be a prime centerpiece in a deal for AD when he hasn't proven anything in the NBA and has a lot of questions about how he'll do in the league

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:50:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think he'll put up pre-injury Larry Johnson type numbers, except with better defensive stats and less assists.

You don't dominate on both ends with such efficiency by being just an athletic freak
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
will make Bron look like a 20 year old 500,000 mile used car

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:10:10 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Who can guard Zion? With his size, athleticism and feel, who’s stopping him on offense?  And on defense he leads the acc in steals and was first team all defense. He’s also coming into the nba at a perfect time.  Very few big boys to throw at him with stretch 4s and 5s reigning supreme.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:12:17 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think he could have a career similar to Blake Griffin. A great athletic player but might take a little time to develop a game outside of dunking over people.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 11:13:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Right now, in an ACC playoff game, he’s 12/12 from the field for 27 points, with 11 boards.

I think “athletic freak” is certainly true but sells him short. He’s not just a straight-line, run and jump athlete; he’s also got good side to side mobility and is putting moves together. He can Euro step when that’s the right play, and explodes into his finish off the second step. His handle is already good and shows signs of being able to change pace. The distance shooting is a real question mark. But LeBron shot 29% from 3 his first year in the league. We’ll see what ZW can be. There’s a Greek player who does alright without a three point shot; some people even say he dominates because he’s a freak  ;)

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 11:23:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think he could have a career similar to Blake Griffin. A great athletic player but might take a little time to develop a game outside of dunking over people.

Might be. But for comparison, in his freshman year, Blake scored 20.7/40 minutes on .580 true shooting %. Zion is scoring 30.7/40 minutes, on a ridiculous .705 TS%, in a tougher conference.

ZW’s PER is over 42.

We literally haven’t seen a player like this before, statistically speaking.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:53:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Might be. But for comparison, in his freshman year, Blake scored 20.7/40 minutes on .580 true shooting %. Zion is scoring 30.7/40 minutes, on a ridiculous .705 TS%, in a tougher conference.

ZW’s PER is over 42.

We literally haven’t seen a player like this before, statistically speaking.
His PER is like, video game ridiculous. Never seen anything like it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 12:03:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think he'll be a superstar, his feel for the ball isn't bad at all.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 01:31:13 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
With his performance and physical ability it's more likely he'll be a superstar than not. The big questions are if he can develop a consistent 3, become a better passer/ball-handler in the NBA, and if his body is durable. He's not going to be able to bully through the post nearly as often in the NBA, so he'll need to get craftier and diversify his offense. But he will be athletically dominant, pretty much right away, and has good touch on the ball and feel for the game. That's not enough by itself but it's a huge head start.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 02:49:14 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think he has the potential to dominate. A lot of great players didn’t have a great shot coming into the league. Heck, Giannis still doesn’t and he may win the MVP this year.

If he puts in the work, he’s going to be scary. He’s too freakish an athlete.

He may not be amazing statistically right away, but the highlights are going to be nightly. Dunks, blocks, passes... he’s going to be a franchise player.

And if he goes to the right team, with a pass-first PG, he will be set.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 04:10:30 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That's how I feel.  Scottie Pippen said something along the lines of Zion being the biggest rookie prospect to hit the league since MJ.  It's crazy to me.

The guy is an insane athlete.  But, between his height and range, I don't think he's a lock to be a superstar.
I saw that Pippen video too and it confused me, because as someone who doesn't follow College ball at all I had been under the impression he wasn't even the best prospect at his own school. 

Should he be realistically seen as someone like Blake Griffin?