Author Topic: Are you loving the Tatum and Brown era yet?  (Read 13254 times)

Re: Are you loving the Tatum and Brown era yet?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Absolutely loving it.

Both guys seem to be putting up consistent 20+/6+ type numbers every game and are consistently impacting winning.

Sure, they still have some flaws and more room to grow, but this is very encouraging. Kyrie and Rozier leaving did wonders for these guys, and others on the team it seems. More opportunities, and better overall team chemistry.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Tatum still has the potential to become the best player from the 2017 Draft. I'd argue he already is, marginally over Mitchell who I also love watching
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2019, 02:13:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We’ll be even better when our best wing returns :)

Right now Tatum's looking like the best wing player the Celts have.

Most likely it will be Kemba and Tatum in the All-Star game.

Tatum is our highest volume wing, but I don't think that's why we've been successful. He's shooting like 41% from the field which is pretty terrible compared to Brown and Hayward who are just behind him in ppg. I actually have been most impressed with Tatum's defense, rebounding, and passing. We all know he has it in him to be a go-to scorer in this league, but I need to see much better efficiency before I declare him 'best wing player the Cs have.'

I like the idea of Hayward and Tatum helping anchor the 2nd unit while Kemba and Brown are out of the game (all four are starters of course). The Hayward/Brown combo has also proven to be lethal in the past so that is another option...honestly, the Cs have a lot of options. They really are such a breath of fresh air this year!

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
I'm really loving it now that we have a PG that has no issue sharing the ball on offense
Yes, yes, me too. Kemba has been superb. He has impressed me immensely with his ability to play both on and off the ball this season. Rare to have a scoring PG who can do both so seamlessly.

Kemba has been a huge factor in the success of Tatum, Jaylen and Hayward. Given them the freedom to exhibit their full range of talents instead of fighting their way out of someone else's shadow. 

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm really loving it now that we have a PG that has no issue sharing the ball on offense
Yes, yes, me too. Kemba has been superb. He has impressed me immensely with his ability to play both on and off the ball this season. Rare to have a scoring PG who can do both so seamlessly.

Kemba has been a huge factor in the success of Tatum, Jaylen and Hayward. Given them the freedom to exhibit their full range of talents instead of fighting their way out of someone else's shadow. 
I agree that having Kemba instead of Kyrie is a big reason behind the surge of Jaylen and Jayson this year.  far more encouraging of them and supporting their development into strong, key players on this team. 

My take on it is that Kyrie sees himself as THE alpha on a team and the unquestioned leader.  winning only matters if it's due to his glorious efforts.  Kemba sees himself as a key player that's endured a lot of losing but is now able to enjoy winning with better teammates.

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2019, 09:40:53 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I love having 4 guys on the team who I’m not sure who is (or will be considered by the end of the year) the best player on the team. And a 5th player who some consider the team’s MVP. 

Yes, I am loving this era.

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I agree that having Kemba instead of Kyrie is a big reason behind the surge of Jaylen and Jayson this year.  far more encouraging of them and supporting their development into strong, key players on this team. 

My take on it is that Kyrie sees himself as THE alpha on a team and the unquestioned leader.  winning only matters if it's due to his glorious efforts.  Kemba sees himself as a key player that's endured a lot of losing but is now able to enjoy winning with better teammates.

I would agree. Swapping out Kyrie for Kemba has essentially made the Celtics markedly better.

Also, while I originally thought Kyrie was a better individual talent, I underestimated how good of an overall player Kemba is.

Not having watched many Hornets games, I thought he was mostly a perimeter player.

However, he's a jack of all trades. Attacks the basket, mid-range shooting, gets involved on defense and is a very good passer.

I definitely agree Kemba's arrival has single-handedly changed the entire culture of the team and has helped buoy Jaylen and Tatum's game.

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2019, 12:31:58 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
More than the Jays, replacing Kyrie with Kemba has been huge for this team. On court chemistry has been noticeably better and I gotta believe it starts when your best player is willing to give up shots and the limelight to others.

Also, with less mouths to feed, I gotta believe losing Horford, Morris and Rozier has helped.
- LilRip

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2019, 01:08:31 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Dangerous Duo....Love both of them--I think Hayward will be back within the next 2 games, then it's time to Smoke the League~!! Nobody can keep up with our wings...maybe one or two, but not all 3.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2019, 01:13:03 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
You know, This is what Bias and Lewis should have been.
Red had us set up for a long run.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2019, 07:02:05 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

What could have been:(

Or imagine if we had Pierce and Allen to start their careers.

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2019, 07:20:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

What could have been:(

Or imagine if we had Pierce and Allen to start their careers.
Or if we kept Billups and Johnson alongside Pierce.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2019, 07:59:34 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
More than the Jays, replacing Kyrie with Kemba has been huge for this team. On court chemistry has been noticeably better and I gotta believe it starts when your best player is willing to give up shots and the limelight to others.

Also, with less mouths to feed, I gotta believe losing Horford, Morris and Rozier has helped.

I also prefer Kemba to Kyrie, but I think people gloss over this second point far too much. It's hard to argue that Horford being on the team was a net negative for Brown and Tatum, but Morris and Rozier clearly were me-first guys who took way too many shots and unnecessary playing time away from them.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate Morris and Rozier while they were here, I just hated them for this team. Honestly, if they weren't on the 18-19 team, I believe Jaylen and Hayward would have been far more comfortable which likely would have led to Kyrie being more comfortable and he would probably be our starting PG today.

I am not unhappy with the way things have worked out - this team is truly a joy to watch - but a team with a happy Kyrie, AD, Horford, Brown, and Hayward would also be pretty dominant.

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2019, 09:22:05 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
So the last game against the Cavs I noticed they had 0 rim protection and Hayward exposed it. As I was watching it I was saying that I wish JB was playing because he would of had a career high in points.  I think this game JB will absolutely shred the Cavs for 30+.

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Six years ago 6/27/13, the "Boston BKN Blockbuster deal in works" thread. 45 pages long:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=66010.0

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2019, 10:20:36 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Some team chemistry issues get cleared up and both of them pick up exactly where they left off from the 2018 playoffs. Shocking.