Poll

Who would you like to see the Sox add?

Adam Dunn
Victor Martinez
Matt Holliday
Adrian Gonzalez
Hanley Ramirez

Author Topic: Sox should Add a bat to the lineup  (Read 2464 times)

Sox should Add a bat to the lineup
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:02:12 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I assume we will have to give up Buchholz, Bowden, and maybe one of our young bullpen guys, but with Smoltz coming back I think the reason we have this stable of young pitching is to use them to get somebody to make an immediate impact. 

Obviously guys like Dunn or Holliday with expiring deals would require less in return. 

I think the way our bullpen and starting pitching has been performing we have a legit chance to win it all if we add a bat to the lineup. 

what do you all think?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Sox should Add a bat to the lineup
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I assume we will have to give up Buchholz, Bowden, and maybe one of our young bullpen guys, but with Smoltz coming back I think the reason we have this stable of young pitching is to use them to get somebody to make an immediate impact. 

Obviously guys like Dunn or Holliday with expiring deals would require less in return. 

I think the way our bullpen and starting pitching has been performing we have a legit chance to win it all if we add a bat to the lineup. 

what do you all think?

not all those guys are equivalent. I'd certainly give that package up for hanley, but not for adam dunn.

I voted hanley because he's far and away the best option in the poll, but im not sure he's realistic (no idea what the marlins stance on trading him is)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:18:39 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I personally dont think Hanley is the answer, as you said he would require alot in return.  Second of all he is not a defensive upgrade at short which we desperately need.  I think Adrian Gonzalez is our best option.  He is a big power option and has been for sometime.  And could be a solid first base option in the future when Lowell retires and Youk moves the third.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I just dont think Bay and Youk can carry this team no matter how well they do. 

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:47:29 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Hanley is the best player, and I voted for him, the best fit would be Victor Martinez he can catch and is just as good defensivly as Tek.  He would definitely be an upgrade offensivly at that position.
do it

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
All things being equal, Hanley is the obvious choice, but we would have to give up much better players to get him.

Martinez is interesting, as we will need to replace Tek at some point, but I will take the superstar in Hanley anyday.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:48:27 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
At this point I'd choose Victor or Adrian Gonzalez. Gonzalez plays solid defense at first so it allows Mikey to get a blow and we don't sacrifice any D on the corners. Victor of course catches plays 1st and DHs and both are solid hitters.

Really though right now I may just be okay with a decent prospect. The situation has changed since this thread's inception. Ortiz is hitting over .340 and slugging over 1.100 in June and Lowrie returns in July and Green has been playing fairly well lately. Right now I'd rather give Lowrie the chance to prove he can handle it and Ortiz the chance to prove that he can hit the rest of the year before looking at an outside solution.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would really stand pat for now.  I know the Sox have a surplus of pitching right now but its only mid-June and you never know what problems lie ahead.  The Sox offense seems to have different guys stepping up all the time.

I really don't want to make any drastic moves at this point.  Call me complacent but this team's relatively healthy now and it might not be in a month.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Here is a name I am surprised I have not heard yet.  What about Tajada, to play SS.  I know he is old but I read Houston is trying to dump his contract ( 14 million ) which means he can come cheap player wise.  Maybe something like Lugo and a prospect gets it done,  and not a top prospect. 

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
or

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Here is a name I am surprised I have not heard yet.  What about Tajada, to play SS.  I know he is old but I read Houston is trying to dump his contract ( 14 million ) which means he can come cheap player wise.  Maybe something like Lugo and a prospect gets it done,  and not a top prospect. 

Not a prayer. Houston had Lugo before, and it didn't go well. They won't deal Tejada with his production this year to reacquire Lugo.

Adrian Gonzalez is the best value. Hanley's too much, and Gonzalez is a mini-Teixeira with the glove, average, and power numbers
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."