Author Topic: 76ers are the Fifth best team in the East  (Read 3137 times)

Re: 76ers are the Fifth best team in the East
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 10:17:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It was a good trade because come playoff time they will have a guy who can score in big moments and defend. Will be interested to see how we match up with them.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
seems like a strange thread to bring up when Butler has missed the last 2 games.

Kinda'. It's gloating for sure. But Hayward and Horford have missed the last two games for the Cs too. And Brown before that. And Irving before that.
Hayward played against the Hawks.  He missed the previous 2 games.  It is obvious that we have the depth to make up for our better players being out and the Sixers don't. 

The silliness of the OP's post was to say Butler doesn't move the needle for the Sixers.  If anything their last 2 losses without him shows that he does quite a lot.  Does any team besides GSW have a better #2 star than Butler? 

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If they sign a 4th guy for max this offseason I think their trade was brilliant

What player would be happy to be the 4th banana on a team with 3 ball dominant players? It won't be a true max guy (Klay, Irving, Kemba, Durant, etc.). If anything, it would be a good player who isn't worthy of a max, that the Sixers would have to overpay in order to play 4th fiddle. Plus, I'm pretty certain adding this imaginary 4th guy would mean not re-signing Redick. Yeah, not good.

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
seems like a strange thread to bring up when Butler has missed the last 2 games.

Kinda'. It's gloating for sure. But Hayward and Horford have missed the last two games for the Cs too. And Brown before that. And Irving before that.
Hayward played against the Hawks.  He missed the previous 2 games.  It is obvious that we have the depth to make up for our better players being out and the Sixers don't. 

The silliness of the OP's post was to say Butler doesn't move the needle for the Sixers.  If anything their last 2 losses without him shows that he does quite a lot.  Does any team besides GSW have a better #2 star than Butler?
ESPN had Butler at 14.  The Rockets, Thunder, and Warriors all had 2 players ranked higher than Butler.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

ESPN had Butler at 14.  The Rockets, Thunder, and Warriors all had 2 players ranked higher than Butler.
That's only 3 teams and George and especially Paul above Butler is debatable. 

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

What player would be happy to be the 4th banana on a team with 3 ball dominant players? It won't be a true max guy (Klay, Irving, Kemba, Durant, etc.). If anything, it would be a good player who isn't worthy of a max, that the Sixers would have to overpay in order to play 4th fiddle. Plus, I'm pretty certain adding this imaginary 4th guy would mean not re-signing Redick. Yeah, not good.
I generally agree but I think there are exceptions.  If they could re-sign Butler and somehow manage to steal Middleton from the Bucks that would be a big improvement even though they'd lose Redick (and Fultz) to do it.  Obviously they'd still have their depth issue to address.   

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Chris Paul being ranked higher than Butler seems wrong. Felt that way before season started. And I’m not a huge Jimmy Butler fan.

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 12:21:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I generally agree but I think there are exceptions.  If they could re-sign Butler and somehow manage to steal Middleton from the Bucks that would be a big improvement even though they'd lose Redick (and Fultz) to do it.  Obviously they'd still have their depth issue to address.

Yeah I was going to say, Middleton could be someone. But other guys like Durant, Irving, Klay, etc. I don't see as viable options the way that team is constructed.

I mean, Lebron could have easily joined PHI this past summer but didn't, and I'm guessing part of the reason was because Lebron knew he'd have to adapt since Simmons was the ball-dominant guy on that team (or vice versa, but in that case unless Simmons can shoot better, what good is Simmons then?). If Klay leaves I think he'd go to the Lakers but I think they find a way to keep him (Draymond is the "odd man out" IMO on the Warriors)

In a way, you could say Butler was their max-FA acquisition for 2019 and beyond, and that their next addition is just a "bonus", though idk if adding Middleton in place of Reddick, Fultz and a chunk of their bench truly takes them to that "next step". 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 10:23:04 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Celtics are now the fifth best team in the East.  Looks like trading for Kyrie didn't move the needle much for us
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 11:56:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Celtics are now the fifth best team in the East.  Looks like trading for Kyrie didn't move the needle much for us

My vote for pettiest post of the season. Despite having one more
Loss 76ers are percentage points ahead of celtics.

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 12:21:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pretty nonsensical conclusion right there
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 12:55:20 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

The norm on this forum nowadays.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 12:58:30 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Has butler even played 20 games with Philly yet?

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 12:59:49 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The norm on this forum nowadays.
celts literally are in 5th place right now

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 01:22:08 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The 76ers should be better in the postseason with a decent closer in Jimmy. My real point is that he's 30 when he's getting a new deal.

Butler is another Horford. Good for two years of the deal, but those last two years you might regret giving him Max dollars.