Author Topic: I Love me some Rondo but...  (Read 6160 times)

I Love me some Rondo but...
« on: December 16, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I hope the Celtics front office is keeping an open mind about possibly trading him if it can put us in a better position to compete for a title this year. I know alot of you will disagree with me but i see Rondo far from untouchable.

Let me just say that over the past 5 years Rondo has become one of my favorite players to watch and has more than earned my respect with his gutsy performances in the playoffs but i'm far from convinced that he's the best player to have running this years team because of how much he dominates the ball. I know it's an unpopular opinion but i just think guys like Jason Terry and Jeff Green could do alot more damage on the offensive end if Rondo wasn't dribbling at the top of the key for half the shot clock. Guys like that need more ball handling time.

From what i've seen from the games without Rondo this year is that the Celtics arent so horrible without him. Pierce, Lee and Terry are capable of stepping up with more ball handling duties.

Rondo's appeal across the league is that he's a potential hall of famer on a VERY reasonable contract. I think that could land us a borderline all star big and a solid PG. No one else on the Celtics roster can net us the type of player Rondo can, not even in package deals.

As good as Rondo is, he'd have to play at an all time great level for this team to be make it to the finals (like 20/13/8) which would be really REALLY  tough ecspecially given how the Eastern conference is looking this year.. Not that it can't be done but 6"1 ball dominating point guards don't really tend to be win teams titles. The last few point starting PG's to win titles are Chalmers, Kidd, and Fisher. But all those teams had quality bigs. Something the Celtics desperately need to be in contention.

A few Rondo trades i'd consider...

*Celtics get: Mo Williams & Enes Kanter
Jazz get: Rajon Rondo, Jason Collins & a pick.

Williams/ Terry
Bradley/ Lee
Pierce/ Green
Garnett/ Sullinger/ Bass
Kanter/ Wilcox

Rebuild with Bradley, Green, Sullinger, Kanter. Not shabby at all.

*Celtics get: DeMarcus Cousins, Aaron Brooks & Francisco Garcia
*Kings get: Rajon Rondo, Fab Melo, Kris Joseph and a pick

Terry/ Brooks
Bradley/ Lee
Pierce/ Green
Garnett/ Sullinger/ Bass
Cousins/ Wilcox

*Celtics get: Ty Lawson & JaVale McGee
*Denver gets: Rajon Rondo, Fab Melo, 1st rounder

Lawson/ Terry
Bradley/ Lee
Pierce/ Green
Garnett/ Bass/ Sullinger
McGee/ Wilcox

Let the crucifiction begin.

Re: I Love me some Rondo but...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Finally a man who knows a good deal!  You got any expensive, inefficient Ferrari lying around?  I would love to trade you a spacious mini-van and a cost effective bicycle for it.  That way you can get where you want to go NOW and save money for the future!
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
(1) Not sold enough on Kanter to part with Rondo. Not sure how much upside is there.

(2) Cousins is an excellent talent but he is too far away for the team to still be a title contender after moving Rondo. As part of a larger rebuilding move (blow it all up), it may be worth considering.

(3) Lukewarm interest. Probably not.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
haha. enes kanter will not win you a championship. and rondo is untouchable for trading.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Finally a man who knows a good deal!  You got any expensive, inefficient Ferrari lying around?  I would love to trade you a spacious mini-van and a cost effective bicycle for it.  That way you can get where you want to go NOW and save money for the future!

sheesh....sorry i got out of bed this morning. It's sarcastic/ negative/unfunny/ unconstructive comments like this why i don't spend too much time on CelticsBlog.

The way you just reacted to my completely rational thought it's as if i suggested to trade the entire roster for Adam Morrison. Good day to you, sir.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker

sheesh....sorry i got out of bed this morning. It's sarcastic/ negative/unfunny/ unconstructive comments like this why i don't spend too much time on CelticsBlog.

The way you just reacted to my completely rational thought it's as if i suggested to trade the entire roster for Adam Morrison. Good day to you, sir.
his analogy was actually perfect. You want to trade a top 10 player in the game for enes kanter, a no-name. You have an obsession with moving KG to the pf position  and think it will be better even though he's lost all lateral quickness and cant play PF anymore. You're out of touch with this team. KG is a top 4 center in the east last time i checked.

KG hasnt played power forward full time in nearly 2 years

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There was a time when I strongly defended a trade rumor where we were trying to trade Rondo for Steph Curry.   I defended it for a number of reasons.  #1 - Curry was still on his rookie contract and it would have given us even more flexibility if we were starting over.   #2 - Curry is a completely different type of player than Rondo, but I love his game... probably one of the top 5 shooters in the game.  The rumor was actually that Golden State turned down Boston.

This year (so far) I actually feel slightly vindicated for defending that rumor.  Curry is on the last year of his rookie contract, The Warriors are 16-8 and Curry is playing great ball... averaging 20 points, 6.5 assists, 4 rebounds, 1.7 steals. His shot is coming around (only 42% FG), but he's still shooting 41% from three and 90% from the line.

So far, Curry is the 6th best PG in the league this season.    So far... Rondo is #1.  For the first time ever, Rondo is actually statistically outperforming Chris Paul.  Mo Williams and Enes Kanter has to be a joke.  I think Kanter has potential too, but that's the kind of value you get back for an aging star on his last legs... not a freakin allstar point guard in his 20s.  You lost me at that one.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
There was a time when I strongly defended a trade rumor where we were trying to trade Rondo for Steph Curry.   I defended it for a number of reasons.  #1 - Curry was still on his rookie contract and it would have given us even more flexibility if we were starting over.   #2 - Curry is a completely different type of player than Rondo, but I love his game... probably one of the top 5 shooters in the game.  The rumor was actually that Golden State turned down Boston.

This year (so far) I actually feel slightly vindicated for defending that rumor.  Curry is on the last year of his rookie contract, The Warriors are 16-8 and Curry is playing great ball... averaging 20 points, 6.5 assists, 4 rebounds, 1.7 steals. His shot is coming around (only 42% FG), but he's still shooting 41% from three and 90% from the line.

So far, Curry is the 6th best PG in the league this season.    So far... Rondo is #1.  For the first time ever, Rondo is actually statistically outperforming Chris Paul.  Mo Williams and Enes Kanter has to be a joke.  I think Kanter has potential too, but that's the kind of value you get back for an aging star on his last legs... not a freakin allstar point guard in his 20s.  You lost me at that one.
enes kanter for rajon rondo

HAHAHAHAAHH

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
In a Rajon Rondo trade, I'd aim high for the stars, or you can forget it. Rondo is borderline superstar in this league on a discounted contract.

Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins 4 Rondo

Championship starting unit:

Tyreke
Avery
Pierce
Garnett
Cousins

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

enes kanter for rajon rondo

HAHAHAHAAHH

I don't think Rondo is completely untradeable.  The second trade where he put in Cousins was a little more sensible, but it would have to include another quality player like Tyreke Evans.  This is the first year that I really have nothing negative to say about Rondo's play.  How can you argue with the performance of a guy who is literally outperforming ALL of his peers.  I do believe Chris Paul is a better player, but at the moment... Rondo is statistically outperforming Paul.  Can't argue with that.

If we were going to trade Rondo, I'd expect to get back another very talented PG prospect AND a quality big.   Something like Brandon Jennings + Larry Sanders... or Rubio + Derrick Williams... or Jrue Holiday + Thad Young (who isn't really a big)...   Still probably would say no to those trades, but that's the kind of framework you'd want. 

I don't see Bradley as a future starting PG, but I don't see Bradley as a future starting SG either... I'm probably alone on that one.  I didn't get carried away by his limited performance last year.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

his analogy was actually perfect. You want to trade a top 10 player in the game for enes kanter, a no-name. You have an obsession with moving KG to the pf position  and think it will be better even though he's lost all lateral quickness and cant play PF anymore. You're out of touch with this team. KG is a top 4 center in the east last time i checked.

Okay well Rondo isnt a top 10 player in the league. And no one outside of Boston would ever think that. If he was there is no way the Celtics would be 12-11 with the talent they have surrounding him.. Best passer? Absolutely. Quickest? Yup. Top 10? Nah dude.

You act as if it would completely shatter KG's game if he moved to PF. I can name several PF's in the game whose lateral movement is quite slower than KG's. If anything it would help him playing with a true Center who can finish at the rim and help defend the basket.

I will admit i was misinformed about Enes Kanter. I'm not exactly an avid Utah Jazz fans and don't watch their games, i thought he was at least a 12/9 guy, not a 5/5 guy. Still upside there but i'd leave him out of the previously proposed trade and maybe throw millsap in there.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255

Just some friendly ribbing.  Nothing negative :)  My trade ideas are just as silly, only on the other end of the spectrum. 
I thought I was mild compared to crucifixion.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'd do Rondo for Jennings, Sanders, Mbah a Moute.

Do Bucks do it? Do we need to add Sully or Melo?

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Okay well Rondo isnt a top 10 player in the league. And no one outside of Boston would ever think that.

I'd have to assume you never talk to people outside of Boston.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

In spite of the fact that Rondo's leading all point guards in efficiency I'll point out that you can't point to any single stat as a definitive measure of how good players are compared to each other.