Author Topic: Anthony Rizzo OK with taking pay cut for fewer games: We play too much baseball  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23218530/anthony-rizzo-chicago-cubs-ok-taking-pay-cut-fewer-games-says-play-too-much-baseball

agree or disagree?

Makes sense to me. 162 games season is way too long. Plus Weather conditions in April in some areas is unbearable/unrealiable

Suggestion: Move spring training to April.  Cut games down to 110-120. But to keep revenue about the same as a 162 season, expand the playoffs - 8 teams in each league (top 2 from each division + 2 wildcard spots).

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Another option that I believe he mentions is just shortening the season calendar-wise and playing more doubleheaders.

Good luck convincing the owners

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’m sure he would be in the minority, especially if you want to cut rookie/minimum contract guys salaries by nearly a third.

The owners would also never go for this as they would lose a lot of money by a reduction that drastic.

If they wanted to go to something like 148 games for a 10% salary reduction across the board, I can possibly see that (but probably not).

It is what it is. Too much money involved. It’s baseball, where a guy can go like 2 decades without missing a day. They get paid a lot more (and for a lot longer) than other sports.

I don’t feel bad for them playing in 40 degree weather in April. They will be fine.
CELTICS 2024

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'd be down with it, but we're past the point where any of the major North American sports leagues is going to cut anything, be it the number of games or the number of teams. For the owners, it's mostly about the Benjamins, so the number of teams in each sport is likely to keep increasing with time, and though I doubt the number of games will increase, they certainly won't decrease.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I’m sure he would be in the minority, especially if you want to cut rookie/minimum contract guys salaries by nearly a third.

The owners would also never go for this as they would lose a lot of money by a reduction that drastic.

If they wanted to go to something like 148 games for a 10% salary reduction across the board, I can possibly see that (but probably not).

It is what it is. Too much money involved. It’s baseball, where a guy can go like 2 decades without missing a day. They get paid a lot more (and for a lot longer) than other sports.

I don’t feel bad for them playing in 40 degree weather in April. They will be fine.

So what is wrong with the suggestion I threw out

instead expand the playoffs to 8 teams

Playoffs = higher ticket prices,  better TV revenue etc. 

Revenue sharing would still be in place

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Another option that I believe he mentions is just shortening the season calendar-wise and playing more doubleheaders.

Good luck convincing the owners

no way.   6 hour baseball day? 1 game is long enough already