Author Topic: Red Sox 2010  (Read 71477 times)

Re: Red Sox 2010
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
According to an article I just read on ESPN.com, no Red Sox has ever started 4-9 and made it to the post-season.  It's still very early in an extremely long regular season for the Sox, but I have a hard time seeing that happen, too.

The off-season plan for the Red Sox seems to have failed pretty miserably so far.  

You're negative about every team in Boston PosImpos.  

THE BRUINS WON TONIGHT AND ARE DOING GREAT AGAINST A HIGHER SEEDED TEAM!  WOOOOOOHOOO!!!!

Happy?  ::) (that was genuine enthusiasm)

Tell me, what is there to be positive about with the Red Sox?  One of their most productive hitters is a career minor-leaguer they called up because Mike Cameron passed a kidney stone?

How about two walkoffs in two nights!  And a pitching staff that still is the best in baseball and will be by the end of the season. 

And you must not be a hockey fan or otherwise how the hell can you not be excited about the Bruins win tonight!

Sure I'm excited.  Not a ton, but it is nice that the Bruins won. 

How are you not a ton excited after these last two nights?
The Yanks and Rays are just very good this year and it's very easy to not make the playoffs in the MLB.

It's not to early to anoint the Rays as being very good this year and better than the Sox, but it is to early to write the Sox off?

To early in the season to make these judgements.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Despite the last couple of days heroics, I still have serious concern about this Sox team.  The starting pitching isn't there yet and I continue to have real doubt this offense as currently construed will be able to manufacture runs. 

I think the Theo & friends got enamored with these defensive metrics to the extent that they really neglected the fact that this team had genuine offensive question marks and they didn't really address them.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Would love to see someone post a list of all the moves Theo has made since he's been here, including the free agents he's let go.
It's a good thing for him that he has almost unlimited money to throw at free agents, it's difficult to field an uncompetitive team when you can outspend your competition, but he's trying harder every year!
How about these great moves for just a few examples(not hindsight, I hated these moves at the time)-
 J D Drew- $14Million/year
 Dice K- $100million/5 years
 Eric Gagne
 Mike Cameron- oh yeah, he's a real upgrade over Ellsbury,lol
 Julio Lugo

As far as this run prevention/defense nonsense which Red Sox nation seems to have swallowed-
1) Does anyone really believe that Jason Bay's supposedly weak defense cost the team any games? He didn't look like a bad outfielder to me.
2) If they really believed in "run prevention" why did they not re-sign Alex Gonzales, probably the best defensive shortstop they've ever had?

Anyway, I gag every time I hear that Cameron and Scutaro are "upgrades".

Sorry to be so negative, but the team is BORING and I'm just glad that I'm not a big enough baseball fan to really care.
I agree with all of this.  I'm very tired of the revolving shortstop too.  I was happy with Gonzalez years ago and I'd be happy with him now.

Scutaro is an upgrade over Gonzalez and it is a stopgap until Joe Iglesias is ready to go.  Cameron isn't an upgrade over Ellsbury they are about on par, but Ellsbury is a huge upgrade over Bay defensively in left.

The Sox will be fine it is to early to make these judgements.  And if you call a team that has had two walk-off wins in two nights in a row boring then idk what would excite you with a baseball team.  

If the Sox can get a trade done for someone like Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder they are by far my pick to win the World Series.  If they don't they still have a good chance because their pitching is going to be dominant and make it, it is just early in the season for pitchers.   Pitchers are never ready early in the season like everyone else is.

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 10:53:57 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Despite the last couple of days heroics, I still have serious concern about this Sox team.  The starting pitching isn't there yet and I continue to have real doubt this offense as currently construed will be able to manufacture runs. 

I think the Theo & friends got enamored with these defensive metrics to the extent that they really neglected the fact that this team had genuine offensive question marks and they didn't really address them.

Starting pitching always comes around slower than everything else in baseball.  Also they team may not have huge power in the lineup, but throughout the lineup they have decent power and most of the guys in the lineup can go off for 20 homeruns any year.

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I agree.  Personally I believe the Pitching will straighten itself out.  I just think there is too much talent for them to be this bad the whole season.  (Course i said the same thing about the celts for most of the second half.)  I think while their are some offensive question marks, I think there wasnt a guy out there that was going to fix answer those this year.  There was no Teixara.  I do believe that this is a bridge year.  And I think this team will resemble the A's of the early 2000's.  Get to the playoffs on pitching, and lose in the first round to a team that can hit good pitching. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 11:01:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Starting pitching always comes around slower than everything else in baseball.  Also they team may not have huge power in the lineup, but throughout the lineup they have decent power and most of the guys in the lineup can go off for 20 homeruns any year.

Starting pitching is not my ultimate concern.  I expect guys like Beckett, Lackey, and Lester to come around and resort to their historical levels.

I'm not sold on the lineup at all.  Its success hinges on too many "what-ifs" and best case scenarios.  They might be able to generate runs against 4th & 5th starters but, as currently constructed, they are going to have major problems against top notch pitching, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 11:02:47 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

These guys are the A's of the early 2000's. I think we'll make the playoffs but we'll need something more from the offense to threaten the Yanks.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Starting pitching is not my ultimate concern.  I expect guys like Beckett, Lackey, and Lester to come around and resort to their historical levels.

I'm not sold on the lineup at all.  Its success hinges on too many "what-ifs" and best case scenarios.  They might be able to generate runs against 4th & 5th starters but, as currently constructed, they are going to have major problems against top notch pitching, IMO.

The bullpen is a concern that is a good point, but I think our lineup isn't that bad having Pedroia, Martinez, and Youk.  I think that the slump we've been in makes it look worse then it really is. 

Also I'm hoping we can trade for someone like Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder.  If that happens then I really feel that we got a good chance to win the World Series, but if not we still have a shot because of our starting pitching.

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
One of the unrealistic things this team could use is a 2nd DH slot so they could find a decent catcher and use Martinez's bat.
Yup

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
One of the unrealistic things this team could use is a 2nd DH slot so they could find a decent catcher and use Martinez's bat.

IMO I feel that Vic will get better defensively as a catcher as the season goes along with more repetitions as being an everyday catcher.

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
They're not gonna blow this are they?
Yup

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2010, 10:48:39 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Thank god no!

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Thank god no!

definitely got a little hairy there!
Yup

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2010, 11:07:45 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Thank god no!

definitely got a little hairy there!

Someone must have gave Papelbon and Ramirez this.

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bad call at home plate.