Author Topic: Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million  (Read 34170 times)

Re: Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The Yankees are ruining baseball? Funny, they've been doing the same thing since 1919 and baseball is alive and well.

I'm a Billy Beane fan, and Oakland wins 90 games every year with a payroll that is way less than what the inept Orioles spend.  At least when the Yankees and Red Sox overspend, they win a few games.

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The Yankees are ruining baseball? Funny, they've been doing the same thing since 1919 and baseball is alive and well.

I'm a Billy Beane fan, and Oakland wins 90 games every year with a payroll that is way less than what the inept Orioles spend.  At least when the Yankees and Red Sox overspend, they win a few games.

Yawn.  Yeah I was expecting to read one of those.  While my post may have sounded like sour grapes, you missed my point, especially since I said that i was aware the Orioles have bigger problems to solve before being frustrated with this one.
Greg

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Yawn.  Yeah I was expecting to read one of those.  While my post may have sounded like sour grapes, you missed my point, especially since I said that i was aware the Orioles have bigger problems to solve before being frustrated with this one.

Hey, you guys have some hope, right? You did well with the Bedard trade and that Wieters guy looks like he could be special.

Besides, Oakland only won 75 games last year.

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Anyone else annoyed that they just committed over 400 million to 3 players, but they are still asking the taxpayers for additional money for their stadium

I know most of you are red sox fans, so excuse me if I sound over dramatic here, but this offseason has pushed me over the edge in regards to baseball.  I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan, and trust I'm very aware that we have bigger problems to solve before thinking about being competative with the Sox and Yankees again, but seriously the spending of the higher market teams has gotten out of hand IMO.  Baseball needs to do something to be able limit teams, namely the Yankees, from stealing every free agent on the market that they decide theyre interested in.  Every sport does something to at least make it difficult for teams who obviously think money is no object, except for baseball.

It's completely ruined the sport for me.  At least with the Red Sox they have a foundation of players they build around, the Yankees are just disgusting with me, and I guess the one only saving grace is it always backfires on them, but I still think it ruins the sport for the other 30 or so teams who actually could have benefited from these free agents had they had any kind of remote chance of signing them.  I just cant get into the sport anymore and I think Im done with it until things change (or if Angelos sold the team to Cal Ripken), and Im sure all of you are saying, thats easy for you to say, youre an O's fan, but either way....

Just my 2 cents.

I know what you are saying, but I am just pointing out the crazy nature of sports with stadiums.  The team should pay for the stadium themselves, they clearly dont need the money from the city. 

That is one of the reasons I have so much respect for Robert Kraft...He paid for the entire stadium himself.

I just dont understand how it makes sense that the yankee's can ask for hundreds of million from the city taxpayers...it is lunacy.  I am glad next year when I live in NY my soda and itunes will be taxed extra so that they can make up their budgetary shortfalls, the stadium being partly responsible (seriously, itunes and soda).

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
It's annoying that the Yankees spend so much more money than any other team. But we have had a different WS winner almost every year over the last 10-15 years. Not to mention, we've had small market teams like the Marlins and Rays exceed every expectation by making it to the WS (and in a couple cases, winning it).

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
people can stop suggesting manny.  that relationship is so broken it would never happen.  Theo mad digs at manny after he left, manny made digs at boston and the organization after he left, john henry made digs at manny, terry made digs at manny (remember his comments about howmuch more enjoyable the end of the year was to coach), the player smade digs at manny.  it isnt happening.  no chance.

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Hey, you guys have some hope, right? You did well with the Bedard trade and that Wieters guy looks like he could be special.

Yeah we actually have a half way desent farm system now and we got some promising rookies coming up.  IMO the Orioles wont really have any hope until that ambulance chaser Angelos is gone.  I'm pretty sure Markakis is gonna catch the first flight out of town after Angelos low balls him when he becomes a FA.  If Angelos would sell the team to Cal Ripken it would breathe so much life into that organization.
Greg

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

Yeah we actually have a half way desent farm system now and we got some promising rookies coming up.  IMO the Orioles wont really have any hope until that ambulance chaser Angelos is gone.  I'm pretty sure Markakis is gonna catch the first flight out of town after Angelos low balls him when he becomes a FA.  If Angelos would sell the team to Cal Ripken it would breathe so much life into that organization.
As a Sox fan, I'm in mourning today not for Mark Teixeira, but for the loss of our beloved Daniel Cabrera. That guy was good for at least 4 free wins for us every year. Too bad he's out of the division now.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If you wanna crown the Yankees, then crown their @$$!  But Teixeira is who we thought he was and we let him off the hook!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
If you wanna crown the Yankees, then crown their @$$!  But Teixeira is who we thought he was and we let him off the hook!

Good spot for this. ;D

In other news: Lars Anderson OPS'd .962 as a TWENTY YEAR OLD in limited time at Portland this year.......

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Good spot for this. ;D

In other news: Lars Anderson OPS'd .962 as a TWENTY YEAR OLD in limited time at Portland this year.......

Unfortunately we wont see Lars for at least 2 more years (that would be the early side of things...)  But the kid certainly looks like the real deal so far.

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Sure, this is annoying, but let's face it: the Sox wouldn't have won in 2004 and 2007 if they had had Oakland's payroll.  So let's not be hypocrites. 

Still, while this could very well be a very good thing for the Yankees, all these long term deals could blow up in their face in a very similar way that they did with guys like Kevin Brown, Javier Vasquez, and Carl Pavano.  A.J. Burnett has disaster written all over him when you combine the pressure of NY with his horrible injury history.  C.C. Sabbathia is very good; however, at 6-7, 300+ pounds, his body could easily fall apart.  Texeira is very good, but his contract is very long.  And while he's very good, I'm not quite sold on him being a top 5 player in baseball.  I could see him being no more than a .300 25-30 HR type guy, which is good, but nothing special at first base. 

Let's face it, we're all p---ed.  But I wouldn't coronate the Yanks as champs quite yet. 

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
This is the very reason i dont watch Soccer and Baseball'.. 4 highest payed players in the league? salary caps are the way to go.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff

Good spot for this. ;D

Unfortunately we wont see Lars for at least 2 more years (that would be the early side of things...)  But the kid certainly looks like the real deal so far.

Well, by "2 more years" do you mean 2010 or 2011? Because I can envision Anderson being in the Sox starting lineup as early as opening day 2010.

From what I hear, the hardest transition typically for a hitter is the jump from High A to AA. It took Lars Anderson like, one week to solve AA (if 160 PA's is enough of a sample for you. It's arguable that it isn't.) pitching. It's very possible he come's right out of the gate in '09 and tears AA apart. I don't know where he would go from there promotion wise, but a bat like his in terms of advancement hasn't come through system since I don't know when......

At the start of 2010 he'll be 22, FWIW.

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »

Offline WayneKreklow

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9

Anyone else annoyed that they just committed over 400 million to 3 players, but they are still asking the taxpayers for additional money for their stadium.

I love how they got $400 million to play in a city that's so close to bankruptcy. 38 new taxes are being put into motion, I wonder if the taxpayers would like that money back now