Author Topic: Who HAS to be our 'X Factor'  (Read 6091 times)

Re: Who HAS to be our 'X Factor'
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Our whole team is an X Factor.

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 04:51:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Olynyk will play better than many expect IMO.

I think Olynyk is one guy who is going to get destroyed in this series, IMO.

The Cavs front court is going to eat him up.

I disagree

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Marcus Smart on the offensive end.

Agreed.

If Smart can turn a whole new gear, and really try to draw as much as fouls, while playing tough defense on Irving, I can see him having a huge impact.

The only hope for winning a game (never mind the series) is if miraculous "new gears" appear for Smart, Olynyk and Sully.   I think we've already seen the best we can hope for from Bass, Turner, Zeller, Thomas, Bradley, Crowder and Jerebko/Datome.   It's Marcus, Kelly and Sullinger who just might have something available to kick it up a notch in this series.   

Another "X" factor could be Gerald Wallace (and I use the "could" here very generously as I highly doubt it).  But, Gerald is strong, savvy and has great energy. He's been a disaster offensively, but I wonder if he'll be given the opportunity to provide 10-15 VERY physical minutes on Lebron.   I think Stevens really has to try to frustrate Lebron -- doubt it will happen, but I think this is the key to being anywhere near making this a series.

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think the issue if Wallace plays is our one advantage should be that we can exploit their weak defenders, and he's just a nothing offensively at this point.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
I like this question. I expect IT to blow up in the playoffs, and I think he will have to if we want to win.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 08:43:29 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
isaih thomas can't be our x factor, he's our best player

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley have to give Lebron and Kyrie nightmares and PTSD. If they can do that then we have a shot. If they can't it seems very difficult.

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Has to be a case that 'a champion team will beat a team of champions'. So everybody contributing at both ends - making sure the X factor of CBS astute planning is put into action.

Two main things I think we need to go right, hit a lot of threes and harry, pester, annoy, frustrate, vex and taunt James. While the Cavs are not one dimensional, putting him off his game will go a long way to beating them. I also agree it has to be a shared responsibility with fresh guys picking him up every five minutes or sooner.

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Coaching.  They have to execute a great game plan.  They have guys who can play, but if you can get guys to execute a really great strategy, then any team has a chance.  These are all pro players.  They can all shoot, play defense, rebound etc.  if one coach does a better job at putting players in a position to succeed, they're more likely to win.  Honestly, I think James has ego issues, and is as much of a liability to any team as he is an asset.  Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants for him to lose this series to the Celtics?  That's almost enough reason for it to happen right there.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »

Offline Jayman

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
IT is both our best, and our X-Factor in my opinion.

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley have to give Lebron and Kyrie nightmares and PTSD. If they can do that then we have a shot. If they can't it seems very difficult.

What's the over/under on games Smart fouls out and/or has his minutes seriously limited by foul trouble?
Yup

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 09:17:32 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jae Crowder. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
Olynyk!

If he's aggressive and hitting his shots it could really spread them out and force Irving and Love to play D without a Mozgov or Thompson behind them.

Agreed -- Olynyk's jump-shooting and passing ability from the center position is key to taking advantage of Timofey Mozgov who wants to hang around the paint defensively. It will hurt Cleveland's defensive integrity since (1) Mozgov is uncomfotable defending away from basket (2) they have no interior defense without Mozgov being allowed to camp out in the paint. Giving Boston the advantage at the center position.

Mozgov is a limited center. He is exactly the sort of player that a highly skilled albeit defensively flawed center like Olynyk can take advantage of. This is an excellent opportunity for Olynyk.

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 10:20:24 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I don't think olynyk is an X factor cuz if u plug in any other front court player we have
Sully, zeller, jerebko

We can still get killed by them
As their frontcourt of love and mozgov is still a better rebounding tandem and would capitalise off misses and our lack of front court defense

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
The X factor could be Bradley and smart

They are great defensively
So would it be possible for a combination of them to try shut down Irving

Also smart said before he wanted to guard Lebron
Here he has his chance to try