Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 958879 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #2805 on: March 06, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Just watched "The boy who harnessed the Wind" on Netflix. Its such a good movie and based on a true story! There  subtitles mixed in but its worth the watch for sure. Best movie I have seen in a long while!!!!

« Reply #2806 on: March 09, 2019, 02:57:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Captain Marvel. I’d put it slightly below average in terms of Marvel movies, which makes it just “decent”. I liked some of the throwbacks to the 90s, the CGI was great overall, and there’s a cool cat in it. The plot wasn’t anything special, and Captain Marvel herself didn’t strike me as the most powerful hero in the universe.

In terms of recent movies, it’s behind Black Panther and Infinity War, but ahead of Antman and the Wasp.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2807 on: March 09, 2019, 07:33:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Watched Captain Marvel. I can see why it's getting a lot of bad reviews. Not up to the humor or sense of jeopardy found in current MCU movies. Its predicatable in a lot of scenes so much so that you can probably get up from your seat and use the rest room and not feel like you are missing a thing. I saw a few people get up and use the rest room more than I ever saw during a movie and I didnt think they missed anything. The lead never feels relatable and isn't a person you get to empathize with. There is just so much wrong with how they wrote this movie. And if you are a comic book fan then this movie can be like "The Last Jedi" for you. I liked the action scenes but the problem was they don't fit the story it's as if they said, here is something cool we can do who cares if it doesn't make much sense why it's happening. It's more of a bad story/script in my opinion than actually bad directing or acting. If you love special effects like me than it can be worth a watch but its not a must see not even for MCU fans. I cant recommended spending money to see it I'd say wait for red box.

« Reply #2808 on: March 09, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Watched Captain Marvel. I can see why it's getting a lot of bad reviews. Not up to the humor or sense of jeopardy found in current MCU movies. Its predicatable in a lot of scenes so much so that you can probably get up from your seat and use the rest room and not feel like you are missing a thing. I saw a few people get up and use the rest room more than I ever saw during a movie and I didnt think they missed anything. The lead never feels relatable and isn't a person you get to empathize with. There is just so much wrong with how they wrote this movie. And if you are a comic book fan then this movie can be like "The Last Jedi" for you. I liked the action scenes but the problem was they don't fit the story it's as if they said, here is something cool we can do who cares if it doesn't make much sense why it's happening. It's more of a bad story/script in my opinion than actually bad directing or acting. If you love special effects like me than it can be worth a watch but its not a must see not even for MCU fans. I cant recommended spending money to see it I'd say wait for red box.
To be clear, it's not getting bad reviews.  It has a 65/100 on Metacritic which puts it above some other Marvel movies like "Thor: Dark World", "Iron-Man 2", "Ant Man", "The Incredible Hulk"...

It's certainly on the lower tier of the MCU catalog, but it's not getting panned.

What's happening is that it's getting brigaded by internet trolls on review sites.  In general, user reviews are completely useless because of things like self-selection bias and how easily they are to manipulate... but this is pretty malicious and targeted. 

Brie Larson made some comments a while ago in support of diversity in the film critic community. Statistically, it’s primarily white men. Her point was that with a movie like “Wrinkle in Time”, which celebrated diversity and made for a diverse audience, there aren’t many professional critics who reflect that audience. Her actual quote: “I don’t want to hear what a white man has to say about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ I want to hear what a woman of color, a biracial woman has to say about the film. I want to hear what teenagers think about the film. If you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is a chance that a woman of color does not have access to review and critique your film.”

Now to be fair... I thought "Wrinkle in Time" was a garbage movie was garbage acting all-around and some weird interpretations of a book I loved as a kid, but I understand her point.  If you make a movie specifically to pander to a certain demographic, perhaps that demographic should be reflected in the body of professional critics.   I don't think anything about her intended message is really bad. 

The internet took that quote out of context and labeled her “racist” for “hating white people”. Even before Captain Marvel came out there were internet trolls ready to bash this movie, “because Brie Larson hates white men and doesn’t care about our opinion”. That combined with the movie being strongly pro-feminist has resulted in a toxic mix of online hate for an ok Marvel movie.

This is unfortunate, but should be ignored:

It's not one of their best, but definitely not their worst.  One valid piece of criticism I agree with is that her character was a little dull.  I don't blame that on Brie Larson.  She's a great actress.  It's the character...  she spends the entire movie with amnesia.  She's supposed to be a solider.  There's not a lot of room for her to have a personality. 

« Reply #2809 on: March 09, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
To be clear, it's not getting bad reviews.  It has a 65/100 on Metacritic which puts it above some other Marvel movies like "Thor: Dark World", "Iron-Man 2", "Ant Man", "The Incredible Hulk"...

It's certainly on the lower tier of the MCU catalog, but it's not getting panned.

What's happening is that it's getting brigaded by internet trolls on review sites.  In general, user reviews are completely useless because of things like self-selection bias and how easily they are to manipulate... but this is pretty malicious and targeted. 

Brie Larson made some comments a while ago in support of diversity in the film critic community. Statistically, it’s primarily white men. Her point was that with a movie like “Wrinkle in Time”, which celebrated diversity and made for a diverse audience, there aren’t many professional critics who reflect that audience. Her actual quote: “I don’t want to hear what a white man has to say about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ I want to hear what a woman of color, a biracial woman has to say about the film. I want to hear what teenagers think about the film. If you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is a chance that a woman of color does not have access to review and critique your film.”

Now to be fair... I thought "Wrinkle in Time" was a garbage movie was garbage acting all-around and some weird interpretations of a book I loved as a kid, but I understand her point.  If you make a movie specifically to pander to a certain demographic, perhaps that demographic should be reflected in the body of professional critics.   I don't think anything about her intended message is really bad. 

The internet took that quote out of context and labeled her “racist” for “hating white people”. Even before Captain Marvel came out there were internet trolls ready to bash this movie, “because Brie Larson hates white men and doesn’t care about our opinion”. That combined with the movie being strongly pro-feminist has resulted in a toxic mix of online hate for an ok Marvel movie.

This is unfortunate, but should be ignored:

It's not one of their best, but definitely not their worst.  One valid piece of criticism I agree with is that her character was a little dull.  I don't blame that on Brie Larson.  She's a great actress.  It's the character...  she spends the entire movie with amnesia.  She's supposed to be a solider.  There's not a lot of room for her to have a personality.
I have no problems with how she acted or how thing was directed as I said before it's the script/story that's bad. I don't care about the Internet trolling or backgrounds of the actors. I am judging the movie. All I heard before going on reviews was that there was controversy some people said it was trolling and backlash that was being corrected while others said the movie was indeed bad and it was a cover up of bad reviews going down. For me it was well below Thor 2, Antman, Iron man 2 and most the other MCU movies. But definitely better than the Hulk movies.

« Reply #2810 on: March 11, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I think the MCU does a good job with their origin stories, and Captain Marvel was no exception. My main complaint, was I wish the music was better incorporated to what was on the screen. Obviously Guardians of the Galaxy set the bar to another level in that regard, but I feel Captain Marvel missed a great opportunity since it was set in the 90’s.

I do have to say Captain Marvel had by far and away, the best opening MCU logo sequence to date and may never be topped. Also, there was a great Stan Lee cameo, where he finally plays himself. I believe he was reading a script for the 1995 movie Mallrates, which he had a cameo role in.

I would probably rank Captain Marvel in the middle of the MCU. I still think the best MCU movie is The Incredible Hulk, followed by Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. For me, Captain America Civil War is hands down their worst movie to date. I do wish I was excited as everyone else about seeing Avengers Endgame, but I just don’t trust the Russo brothers.

« Reply #2811 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:50 AM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60

I would probably rank Captain Marvel in the middle of the MCU. I still think the best MCU movie is The Incredible Hulk, followed by Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. For me, Captain America Civil War is hands down their worst movie to date. I do wish I was excited as everyone else about seeing Avengers Endgame, but I just don’t trust the Russo brothers.

Curious, what didn't you like about Civil War? I thought it was slightly above average for a Marvel movie, below GotG, Infinity War, Black Panther, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, Avengers but in the same tier as Ant Man, Incredible Hulk, Ant Man and the Wasp, Avengers 2. Captain Marvel I'd rate with Iron Man 2, Thor 1 & 2, Captain America 1. The only Marvel movie I've really, intensely disliked was Iron Man 3.

I found Brie a little wooden, but otherwise fine. Just lacking the charisma of some of the major actors and actresses like Robert Downy, Chris Evans and Hemsworth, Benedict, Pratt, Tessa Thompson, Scarlett, Zoe. And the plot <spoiler> I found a little nonsensical. SPOILER - why is a faster than light drive so important when you can warp across the galaxy in hours? Huh? There were about a dozen little moments like that where things just didn't seem to add up right, which always annoys me. The Last Jedi was the same way - it was like it didn't respect the intelligence of the viewer.

« Reply #2812 on: March 11, 2019, 12:02:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Just saw Captain Marvel this weekend.  It was great.  Not "The Godfather" great.  But great fun.  It was everything one should expect from an MCU movie.

The actors in particular were all top notch.  Mendelsohn is brilliant and kind of steals every scene.    I actually liked the music because they chose a lot of less well known 90s pieces.  I mean, any scene with Garbage as the theme music is gonna work for me.   Entertaining action sequences and top quality CGI.

Some parts of the plot were predictable - the deception of the Kree in particular.   But (SPOILER) I doubt many (especially die hard comic readers) saw the Skrull refugee twist coming.    That characterization was a major deviation from the comics.   I liked it because it provided a layer of complexity to their culture that is missing in the comics portrayal as two-dimensional villains.

Nice that they included the true 'original female Captain Marvel' as a character in this movie -- that would be Lt. Trouble.  Comic fans know she was the first woman to use that title.   Carol Danvers was actually only the third.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2813 on: March 11, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Curious, what didn't you like about Civil War? I thought it was slightly above average for a Marvel movie, below GotG, Infinity War, Black Panther, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, Avengers but in the same tier as Ant Man, Incredible Hulk, Ant Man and the Wasp, Avengers 2. Captain Marvel I'd rate with Iron Man 2, Thor 1 & 2, Captain America 1. The only Marvel movie I've really, intensely disliked was Iron Man 3.

I found Brie a little wooden, but otherwise fine. Just lacking the charisma of some of the major actors and actresses like Robert Downy, Chris Evans and Hemsworth, Benedict, Pratt, Tessa Thompson, Scarlett, Zoe. And the plot <spoiler> I found a little nonsensical. SPOILER - why is a faster than light drive so important when you can warp across the galaxy in hours? Huh? There were about a dozen little moments like that where things just didn't seem to add up right, which always annoys me. The Last Jedi was the same way - it was like it didn't respect the intelligence of the viewer.

I think the FTL drive was a bit of misdirection.

On one hand, an FTL drive in the hands of the Skulls-as-refugees would be a potential avenue for them to escape genocide.  So sure, that sounds important for the superficial geopolitics.

But the fact that the drive was powered by the Tesseract was the real important factor.   If you recall, the Tesseract contains one of the Infinity Stones (the Space stone).   That makes it potentially one of the most powerful weapons in the universe.

I concur with your general take.  The movie was not the best MCU movie, but way, way better than some of the worst.  I concur with rating it similar to the mid-tier movies like Ant Man & the first Thor movie.   Like you, I'd put Iron Man 3 way down at the bottom, imho.  What a garbage fest that turned out to be.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2814 on: March 11, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

This is a pretty unusual set of takes (not criticizing it, to each their own) on the MCU, not many people like the Hulk movie that much (I thought it was ok but below-average) or consider Civil War the worst (liked it fine, probably a bit above average).

Haven't seen Capt. Marvel yet but my top 3 in some order are Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians 1, Winter Soldier.  My least favorite are probably Iron Man 2 and Thor: Dark World.

« Reply #2815 on: March 11, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Favorites: Winter Soldier, Black Panther, GOTG, Avengers

Least Favorite: Iron Man 3, Thor 2

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2816 on: March 11, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Just watched a Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapssodi, Creed 2.  Creed 2 was my favorite out of those.  Best movie I’ve seen in a while is Free Solo.  Love it!

« Reply #2817 on: March 11, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Not a 'movie', but I also recently binge-watched season 1 of the Umbrella Academy on Netflix.

Strongly recommend watching that.  Quirky, weird and endearing.

« Reply #2818 on: March 11, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Iron Man 3 wasn't great by any means but I genuinely enjoyed the Mandarin swerve and the theme that Tony is Iron Man whether he's wearing the suit (or the suit has him in it) or not. It's too bad they seem to have ditched all the drone suit stuff after that, but maybe it'll come up again in Endgame.  Iron Man 2 had a lot of hype because of how good #1 was, and a couple great moments that were either in the trailer or involved Vanko's bird, but just kinda seemed to sputter out at the end. Felt unfinished.

Also enjoying Umbrella Academy a lot - I'm watching it with my very early bedtime wife so I'm only halfway through though.

« Reply #2819 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Equalizer 2 and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Both very good.