Author Topic: Rondo settling in now  (Read 20428 times)

Re: Rondo settling in now
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2014, 01:09:41 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Where did I say Rondo was perfect? And where did I say he didn't have to practice here? You chose to highlight that quote as some sort of indictment, I just provided the context. Next time, pick a better quote.
I didn't provide the quote, the author of the story did. And whatever context it comes in, it begs the question, "Why didn't you work as hard in Boston"?

Also,when you choose to say that you worked more in two days with your new team than you did for two months with your old one, you don't need indictments from old forum geezers like me -- you've already put foot in mouth quite skillfully yourself.

It's called exaggeration.  People do it all the time.  The article even acknowledges it by calling it "a stretch".  I hope you don't take everything said so literally.  You should also realize that Rondo missed all of preseason because of the hand injury and was projected to miss a couple weeks of regular season but worked hard and was able to get himself ready for the 1st game.   How about you produce some quotes by Ainge, Stevens or the other players indicating that Rondo was dogging it in practice to actually support your assertion? 

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2014, 01:11:24 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
The length people will go to hate on Rondo is insane...

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2014, 01:22:28 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Good win tonight by Dallas. Their offense seems to have recovered from the initial shock of integrating Rondo.

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2014, 03:55:39 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Good win tonight by Dallas. Their offense seems to have recovered from the initial shock of integrating Rondo.
Interesting game tonight.  His shooting has been better so far (43%/37%/40%) and his assists are down (7.8 ) which suggests they aren't totally giving him the keys to the offense.  Will be interesting to see what his stats look like by the end of the year.  If Rondo doesn't lead the league in assists, can anyone still consider him the "best pure point guard in the league"?

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2014, 06:02:18 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
Interesting game tonight.  His shooting has been better so far (43%/37%/40%) and his assists are down (7.8 ) which suggests they aren't totally giving him the keys to the offense.  Will be interesting to see what his stats look like by the end of the year.  If Rondo doesn't lead the league in assists, can anyone still consider him the "best pure point guard in the league"?

It depends if they win a ring this season.

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2014, 06:18:16 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
He's looking good as the 4th option in that offense. My point for the last two years has been proven. Rondo is a good role player and nowhere near the star level talent people made him out to be. He was a product of playing with the big three and this is a deal that worked out for both teams. I'll enjoy seeing the Lakers pay him max money next year.

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He's looking good as the 4th option in that offense. My point for the last two years has been proven. Rondo is a good role player and nowhere near the star level talent people made him out to be. He was a product of playing with the big three and this is a deal that worked out for both teams. I'll enjoy seeing the Lakers pay him max money next year.
sorry but "a good role player" doesn't put up numbers like rondos has
actually few hall of famers have put up numbers like rondo has

I feel rondo will morph into whatever the team needs him to do.  Seems like a quick meeting with carlisle and it was worked out rondo and ellis would share ball, rondo would be defensive guard and he would shoot more.

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2014, 08:10:01 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Where did I say Rondo was perfect? And where did I say he didn't have to practice here? You chose to highlight that quote as some sort of indictment, I just provided the context. Next time, pick a better quote.
I didn't provide the quote, the author of the story did. And whatever context it comes in, it begs the question, "Why didn't you work as hard in Boston"?

Also,when you choose to say that you worked more in two days with your new team than you did for two months with your old one, you don't need indictments from old forum geezers like me -- you've already put foot in mouth quite skillfully yourself.

It's called exaggeration.  People do it all the time.  The article even acknowledges it by calling it "a stretch".  I hope you don't take everything said so literally.  You should also realize that Rondo missed all of preseason because of the hand injury and was projected to miss a couple weeks of regular season but worked hard and was able to get himself ready for the 1st game.   How about you produce some quotes by Ainge, Stevens or the other players indicating that Rondo was dogging it in practice to actually support your assertion?

Expecting Ainge, Stevens, or other players to say something negative about Rondo in practice or anywhere else is not realistic. It would be unprofessional and looking in the rearview. However, Bill Simmons said that Rondo wasn't practicing hard and that made life hard for Stevens with the amount of influential young players on the team. Is that really difficult to fathom? you really think a player that's effort level would wane depending on the opponent consistently gave it his all in practice?

He’s always up to stuff when he’s locked in, and I think that’s the guy that Dallas is getting,” Grantland editor-in-chief Bill Simmons told writer Zach Lowe during their podcast last week. “In Boston, he would just give up the ball and just stand there, and I do think they had to trade him. It was too bad that was the way it worked out, not just from what we were seeing from the games, but from what I was hearing. In practice, when you have your guy who’s the unquestioned best guy on the team and the quote unquote ‘leader’ of the team, and he’s just not going hard in practice at all, that puts a coach who is trying to get through to young players in a really bad spot. And I think they knew they had to trade him.”
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:26:09 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Have you actually watched any of the games or do you just look at the box score?  No one but you were suggesting that Dallas was going to hand him the keys to the offense.  Dallas got Rondo for his defense and overall abilities.  Not only does Rondo the load share running the offense with Ellis but he also shares it with Barea and Harris to a lesser extent.  Dallas' cup runneth over with play making guards.  And to think the bashers said Rondo couldn't fit in with other players that need the ball.  I'd call Rondo "the best passing point guard in the league" and the way it is going in Dallas so far he should be also be called "the most versatile point guard in the league".  Maybe they actually have found their Jason Kidd 2.0. 

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
sorry but "a good role player" doesn't put up numbers like rondos has
actually few hall of famers have put up numbers like rondo has

I feel rondo will morph into whatever the team needs him to do.  Seems like a quick meeting with carlisle and it was worked out rondo and ellis would share ball, rondo would be defensive guard and he would shoot more.

Really? You actually think Rondo has the versatility to "morph into whatever" they need? He may be shooting more, but he's still awful at it (42.9% from the field/43.4% from the line). Going further, we needed him to score more and hit clutch shots down the stretch and he failed repeatedly to do ether.

A statistical comparison between Rondo and a player that isn't nearly as highly regarded as Rondo, especially on this board, but has actually outproduced him practically across the board.

Lawson vs Rondo

FG 41.4 - 41.2
FT 73.6 - 34.8
3PT 30.5 - 27.5
PPG 16.2 - 9.3
RPG 3.1 - 7.0
APG 10.3 - 10.1
SPG 1.4 - 1.7
TOV 3.0 - 3.4

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2014, 08:28:40 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Have you actually watched any of the games or do you just look at the box score?  No one but you were suggesting that Dallas was going to hand him the keys to the offense.  Dallas got Rondo for his defense and overall abilities.  Not only does Rondo the load share running the offense with Ellis but he also shares it with Barea and Harris to a lesser extent.  Dallas' cup runneth over with play making guards.  And to think the bashers said Rondo couldn't fit in with other players that need the ball.  I'd call Rondo "the best passing point guard in the league" and the way it is going in Dallas so far he should be also be called "the most versatile point guard in the league".  Maybe they actually have found their Jason Kidd 2.0.

Exactly.

Everyone is always saying Rondo can't play in an offense that requires moving the ball but he's been looking pretty good. A good motion offense needs multiple ballhandlers and that's why Dallas is a great team to run it. The reduced assists are a result of him playing a bit more off the ball and also his teammates (especially Greg Smith and Richard Jefferson) not being familiar with his passing yet. There's been a ton of bobbled catches over the first few games that would have been uncontested shots.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2014, 08:58:58 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Expecting Ainge, Stevens, or other players to say something negative about Rondo in practice or anywhere else is not realistic. It would be unprofessional and looking in the rearview. However, Bill Simmons said that Rondo wasn't practicing hard and that made life hard for Stevens with the amount of influential young players on the team. Is that really difficult to fathom? you really think a player that's effort level would wane depending on the opponent consistently gave it his on in practice?

He’s always up to stuff when he’s locked in, and I think that’s the guy that Dallas is getting,” Grantland editor-in-chief Bill Simmons told writer Zach Lowe during their podcast last week. “In Boston, he would just give up the ball and just stand there, and I do think they had to trade him. It was too bad that was the way it worked out, not just from what we were seeing from the games, but from what I was hearing. In practice, when you have your guy who’s the unquestioned best guy on the team and the quote unquote ‘leader’ of the team, and he’s just not going hard in practice at all, that puts a coach who is trying to get through to young players in a really bad spot. And I think they knew they had to trade him.”

I don't give Bill Simmons an ounce of credibility.  He hears what he wants to hear or maybe he just hears the voices in his head.  I find him an embarrassment as a Celtics fan and I've seen no evidence that he has any particular insight into or access to the Celtics.  He's just another ESPN talking head.  All players' effort levels and productivity vary over the course of a long season for a variety of reasons.  Young players and players fighting for playing time are naturally going to put more effort into practice.  Established veteran players generally less so.  If Rondo was just going through the motions, why did he work so hard after his hand injury to get back in time for the regular season when he was projected to be out a couple more weeks?  He could have pulled a Rose. 

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Expecting Ainge, Stevens, or other players to say something negative about Rondo in practice or anywhere else is not realistic. It would be unprofessional and looking in the rearview. However, Bill Simmons said that Rondo wasn't practicing hard and that made life hard for Stevens with the amount of influential young players on the team. Is that really difficult to fathom? you really think a player that's effort level would wane depending on the opponent consistently gave it his on in practice?

I don't give Bill Simmons an ounce of credibility.  He hears what he wants to hear or maybe he just hears the voices in his head.  I find him an embarrassment as a Celtics fan and I've seen no evidence that he has any particular insight into or access to the Celtics.  He's just another ESPN talking head.  All players' effort levels and productivity vary over the course of a long season for a variety of reasons.  Young players and players fighting for playing time are naturally going to put more effort into practice.  Established veteran players generally less so.  If Rondo was just going through the motions, why did he work so hard after his hand injury to get back in time for the regular season when he was projected to be out a couple more weeks?  He could have pulled a Rose.

You mean in a contract year you find it hard to believe he wouldn't want to miss the start of the season?

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
News Flash:  Rondo has always played well off the ball.  It's called IQ.  It's called knowing what to do with the ball when he receives it at any point in the shot clock.  He's a winner period.  Not a superstar.  Just a winner.  He'll probably be one of those non-superstars who goes to the hall of fame and people here will still be complaining that he's not a superstar.

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Expecting Ainge, Stevens, or other players to say something negative about Rondo in practice or anywhere else is not realistic. It would be unprofessional and looking in the rearview.

Just out of curiosity, why would you expect the "rearview" comments about Rondo to be any less negative than they were about Ray Allen? Do you think that the current team/coach is just that much more professional than Doc/PP/KG?