Author Topic: Rondo settling in now  (Read 20428 times)

Re: Rondo settling in now
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
I think the biggest mistake people are making in this "debate" is comparing the Mavs to Boston.  "Oh Boston is losing games and Mavs are winning games... so clearly the trade was bad". 

GOtta keep reminding yourselves that Boston was a 25 win team last year... they had a 16 win pace in games that Rondo played. 

Gotta keep reminding yourselves that Dallas had the highest scoring and most efficient offense in the league prior to the trade... they were one of the top playoff seeds in the West before the move.

Boston is still bad.  Dallas is still good.  I just don't think Rondo makes as much a difference as people believe.  Danny didn't either... hence why we got rid of him for next to nothing.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that this trade would make Dallas terrible and Boston suddenly world-beaters.  That wasn't the point.

Its like the Nets/KG/PP trade.  The small hope of a championship run that will fail.  Dallas has too many flaws.

I'm just disgusted at the increase in effort from our former "leader".

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm probably being stubborn, but I'm still not sold on Dallas at all.  Not convinced that Rondo makes them better.   They were a solid team without him... I think their offense got a little worse.   THey've yet to beat anyone substantial with Rondo.  Yeah I know they beat Spurs C-team and Oklahoma without Durant... let's see how they do against real competition, though.
You conviniently chose to ignore the fact that Dallas played without Tyson who, at this moment, means more to Dallas than Durant means to OKC with Westbrook playing the way he has been.

You also 'forgot' to mention that Rondo completely shut down Westbrook, in the 4th especially.

And this:

...says that Rondo actually makes the difference.
First of all... Chandler makes more of a difference than Durant?  Cute.

Second of all... You mean to tell me Dallas plays better with rondo vs his backup ?  wooooOah. 

You're missing the point.  How has Dallas played in games with rondo vs how they were playing prior to the trade.  Rondos effectiveness vs his backup does not answer that question.   That graphic in no way proves that Dallas is better now.  It proves that rondo through a handful of games is more effective than whoever is playing backup PG in Dallas.

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
With some posters on here, DAL will have to win it all this year before they are convinced that Rondo contributed significantly to it.

Even then, they will point out "Dirk's increased PPG production".....or, "The addition of Parsons" made the difference.....or, "Tyson Chandler reasserts himself on the defensive end, thus making the difference in DAL".......or........LOL.

Rajon Rondo will never catch a break with some on here. You'd think that he was the 2nd coming of Mark Blount.

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'm probably being stubborn, but I'm still not sold on Dallas at all.  Not convinced that Rondo makes them better.   They were a solid team without him... I think their offense got a little worse.   THey've yet to beat anyone substantial with Rondo.  Yeah I know they beat Spurs C-team and Oklahoma without Durant... let's see how they do against real competition, though.
You conviniently chose to ignore the fact that Dallas played without Tyson who, at this moment, means more to Dallas than Durant means to OKC with Westbrook playing the way he has been.

You also 'forgot' to mention that Rondo completely shut down Westbrook, in the 4th especially.

And this:

Second of all... You mean to tell me Dallas plays better with rondo vs his backup ?  wooooOah. 

You're missing the point.  How has Dallas played in games with rondo vs how they were playing prior to the trade.  Rondos effectiveness vs his backup does not answer that question.   That graphic in no way proves that Dallas is better now.  It proves that rondo through a handful of games is more effective than whoever is playing backup PG in Dallas.

1. Yeah, right now Chandler who has no backup and there is 0 interior defense without him means more to Dallas than OKC misses KD when Westbrook is playing out of his mind.

2. Well, the backup prior and after the trade stayed the same. And it shows how much Rondo means to them right now, especially on D.

I mean, what are you trying to argue here? That Mavs were better/the same with Nelson? If you think they would've won yesterday with him and that they had ANY chance of coming out of West with Jameer as their PG we have nothing to talk about. With Rondo they have a legitimate chance for a Championship. Without him, no way.

Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

And this:

1. Yeah, right now Chandler who has no backup and there is 0 interior defense without him means more to Dallas than OKC misses KD when Westbrook is playing out of his mind.

2. Well, the backup prior and after the trade stayed the same. And it shows how much Rondo means to them right now, especially on D.

I mean, what are you trying to argue here? That Mavs were better/the same with Nelson? If you think they would've won yesterday with him and that they had ANY chance of coming out of West with Jameer as their PG we have nothing to talk about. With Rondo they have a legitimate chance for a Championship. Without him, no way.

Chandler is also the Mavs best defensive rebounder by far.  So adding Rondo helps in that area also.  It is hard to see how anybody with a straight face could argue the Mavs were better with Nelson than Rondo.  If that were so, Boston would be a lock for the playoffs in the weak East.   

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

And this:

Do you really need graphics to prove that Dallas is better with Rondo than without him??
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

And this:

Do you really need graphics to prove that Dallas is better with Rondo than without him??

According to half the board we do, unfortunately. Trust me, makes no sense to me either.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

And this:

According to half the board we do, unfortunately. Trust me, makes no sense to me either.
Whether the trade will work for Dallas is a legit question for several reasons
i/ they gave up three rotation players. Their bench is much thinner now.
ii/RR's playing style might conflict with Dallas' ball movement and spacing.
If you want more http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rajon-rondo-trade-dallas-mavericks/
This has nothing to do with what I think of RR as a player and his contribution to the C's. I'm only talking of the specific circumstances of this trade.

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Rajon Rondo will never catch a break with some on here. You'd think that he was the 2nd coming of Mark Blount.
Funny you would say that, because there's an entire article on Rondo and his motivation and effort in the Dallas News today, complete with these quotes:

“If you’ve ever been in a company that’s failing … you know, the effort isn’t the same,” owner Mark Cuban said. “It’s no different.”
Rondo said he already has put in more practice time with the Mavericks than he did in the first couple months in Boston.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20141229-sefko-rescued-from-boston-rebuild-rondo-s-motivation-is-back-with-mavs.ece
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Rondo said he already has put in more practice time with the Mavericks than he did in the first couple months in Boston.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20141229-sefko-rescued-from-boston-rebuild-rondo-s-motivation-is-back-with-mavs.ece

??

He's cherry picking a quote and taking out of context. That was from the introductory press conference when Rondo was talking about having to learn a new playbook in such a short period of time. Carlisle followed it up by saying that he'd would be working a lot with him and Powell to get them caught up to speed. It stands to reason Rondo was speaking more figuratively than literally.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2014, 11:50:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

??

He's cherry picking a quote and taking out of context. That was from the introductory press conference when Rondo was talking about having to learn a new playbook in such a short period of time. Carlisle followed it up by saying that he'd would be working a lot with him and Powell to get them caught up to speed. It stands to reason Rondo was speaking more figuratively than literally.
Yes, I guess Rondo was so perfect here in Boston that he really had nothing to work on in practice. Whether he was speaking figuratively, or it was a Freudian slip -- we'll never know.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 11:59:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

??

Yes, I guess Rondo was so perfect here in Boston that he really had nothing to work on in practice. Whether he was speaking figuratively, or it was a Freudian slip -- we'll never know.

Where did I say Rondo was perfect? And where did I say he didn't have to practice here? You chose to highlight that quote as some sort of indictment, I just provided the context. Next time, pick a better quote.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Where did I say Rondo was perfect? And where did I say he didn't have to practice here? You chose to highlight that quote as some sort of indictment, I just provided the context. Next time, pick a better quote.
I didn't provide the quote, the author of the story did. And whatever context it comes in, it begs the question, "Why didn't you work as hard in Boston"?

Also,when you choose to say that you worked more in two days with your new team than you did for two months with your old one, you don't need indictments from old forum geezers like me -- you've already put foot in mouth quite skillfully yourself.

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2014, 12:49:14 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

And this:

Whether the trade will work for Dallas is a legit question for several reasons
i/ they gave up three rotation players. Their bench is much thinner now.
ii/RR's playing style might conflict with Dallas' ball movement and spacing.
If you want more http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rajon-rondo-trade-dallas-mavericks/
This has nothing to do with what I think of RR as a player and his contribution to the C's. I'm only talking of the specific circumstances of this trade.

Rondo replaces Nelson so their guards are much stronger now.  Dallas is looking to get Jermaine O'neal to come out of retirement to replace Wright.  Their existing bench players can probably replace Crowder's productivity but it would be good if they could pickup a defensive wing for their bench.  That's just for this year.  Next year, they can rework their bench after they resign Rondo, Ellis and Chandler.