Author Topic: NBDL - an impediment to development?  (Read 3228 times)

NBDL - an impediment to development?
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:09:57 AM »

Offline Danimals

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
The NBDL keeps players in game-ready shape. And it may be the NBA's hope for additional viewers/revenues (in the distant future). But what if a player is a project and has no game to keep sharp? (Does player X really benefit from hoisting up 10-20 shots over other scrubs when his form needs to be completely overhauled?)

Maybe the NBDL works for pg projects being groomed as floor generals. But every game played costs a player prep time and recovery time. And now Walker and Giddens are reportedly banged up.

I'm wondering if their time would not have been better spent develping skills the old fashion way - grab a workout partner, head to an empty court at the Waltham facility, and and burn a few hours on drills. Work on their moves one-on-one for a few more hours. Finish up with a few thousand jumpers. With Myoplex, creatine, and lots of glutamine, they can repeat daily. Occasionally mix in supervision /coaching /scrimmages with other teammates.

I'm sure players sent down to the NBDL do work on BB skills between games. But can project players be told not to travel with the team and just stay in the Waltham gym to work on their games? Why can't the paid regular season be just like what these players should be doing during their summers off?

Re: NBDL - an impediment to development?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:05:01 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
No. Pruitt, Walker, and Giddens have all said that this is helped their game. This is a way for them to learn the game, stay hot in the game, and to advance their skills. The NBDL may not be as talented group of players as the NBA, but its still a step up from the NCAA and High School teams that they've been going up against for their careers so far.

Bill Walker at the beginning of his season in Utah used to just about foul out of every game, he'd score some buckets and rebound in the first half but was ineffective in the 2nd due to personal fouls, he has now righted that ship and has consistantly been a player that the Flash can count on.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:29:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
In most cases yes I think it's an absolute waste of time and is counter productive in comparison to the lost lessons a young player can learn by being on an NBA team.

In some cases I like it, namely (1) Young player learning a new position - if he actually gets to play that position in the NBDL which is not a given (2) Young player is so raw that he can't function in the NBA.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:47:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think it would be a lot better if each team had its own affiliate, and could use that affiliate as a true minor league team.  That means lifting some of the current restrictions, and letting the team send down players outside of just those in their first two seasons. 

Hopefully, when the D-League moves to Portland, the Celtics can at least have more of a say in the coaching / playing time philosophy for their D-Leaguers.  Right now, I've got to think that the Flash's first loyalty is to the Jazz, which means that our young guys aren't maximizing their time there as much be ideal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions