Author Topic: Celtics shopping the #3 pick aggressively  (Read 11105 times)

Re: Celtics shopping the #3 pick aggressively
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2016, 05:34:01 PM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14

This isn't a coincidence.  Lots of intentional leaks and posturing this time of year.  These teams are definitely talking with each other.

Didn't Sherrod work for Philly?  I wonder if he still has some loyalty to that franchise because it certainly doesn't help the C's to have rumors like this spread if they are trying to make a move.
2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

Bender>Brown>Dunn>Murray>Hield

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2016, 09:48:58 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Wasn't Okafor the guy Ainge almost got at the trade deadline? That was the rumor.

Okafor was pretty good last year until Noel came back and they competed for time. Then his offense dropped. Neither could play the 4.

Philly apparently backed out of the deal last year. Hard to tell where this is right now. I would guess Philly has checked around the league, and may be holding out for more than the #3.But Dunn would be perfect for them at PG, and they should pull the trigger if Danny is still interested. Keep in mind the Colangelos and Ainge have ties from the Phoenix days. And with Phoenix drafting 4th, you wonder if there is any 3-way connect there.

I still think it's early. Love could also be in the picture for the 3. And that will have to wait a few days.

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I don't.

It's obvious the pick's greatest value to the Celtics is in a trade.

Now, where that trade goes is anyone's guess. I have no doubt Ainge will kick the tires on the Kevin Love fire sale that's coming, on Okafor and on other deals we have no idea about.

I am totally meh drafting another non-shooter in Jaylen Brown. But that's better than Bender - about 100 times.

The draft isn't going to provide this team a lot of help. A trade could. The pick most assuredly should be shopped first.

Ergo, the report by Clark is a good one. Just because the draftniks don't like it is no reason to bash the messenger.

You have this fantasy that with a trade here or there, we are going to be champions again. That is not going to happen. Sometimes you have to be patient in rebuilding a team. This is not the same as 2007, when our best player (by far) was in the back 9 of his career, and threatening to be traded if we didn't hurry up and do something.  We caught lightening in a bottle, a lot of luck was involved.

I am content to take our time to rebuild this team the best way, one player at a time.  We may not compete for the championship realistically for another 2-3 years, and I am fine with that. The impatience of some bloggers just boggles my mind. Life doesn't work that way. It is as if they think that since we are the Celtics, anything other than winning the championship is a total disgrace.

News flash: Danny Ainge, and his mediocre draft record, is still the general manager.

The bizarre fascination of some here with the draft, despite our repeated failures to markedly improve our team with it, amazes me, as does the acceptance of mediocrity here - so much so that some of us chat off line on the message function about it.

Nothing mediocre about how this GM has set up this franchise.

No, but at some point you have to take a chance on a deal.
You have to grab your b@lls and pull the trigger

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I don't.

Now, where that trade goes is anyone's guess. I have no doubt Ainge will kick the tires on the Kevin Love fire sale that's coming, on Okafor and on other deals we have no idea about.

I am totally meh drafting another non-shooter in Jaylen Brown. But that's better than Bender - about 100 times.

The draft isn't going to provide this team a lot of help. A trade could. The pick most assuredly should be shopped first.

Ergo, the report by Clark is a good one. Just because the draftniks don't like it is no reason to bash the messenger.

You have this fantasy that with a trade here or there, we are going to be champions again. That is not going to happen. Sometimes you have to be patient in rebuilding a team. This is not the same as 2007, when our best player (by far) was in the back 9 of his career, and threatening to be traded if we didn't hurry up and do something.  We caught lightening in a bottle, a lot of luck was involved.

I am content to take our time to rebuild this team the best way, one player at a time.  We may not compete for the championship realistically for another 2-3 years, and I am fine with that. The impatience of some bloggers just boggles my mind. Life doesn't work that way. It is as if they think that since we are the Celtics, anything other than winning the championship is a total disgrace.

News flash: Danny Ainge, and his mediocre draft record, is still the general manager.

The bizarre fascination of some here with the draft, despite our repeated failures to markedly improve our team with it, amazes me, as does the acceptance of mediocrity here - so much so that some of us chat off line on the message function about it.

didnt he pull the trigger in 2007?

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't.

didnt he pull the trigger in 2007?

And what about the last draft, all those picks for Winslow, and Jordan turned it down for Frank the Tank. And what about this year with the supposed Okafor, and Philly backed out. He's layed them out there, just no ones grabbed them yet. 

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2016, 10:41:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I feel confident that if Brown is picked, his game will translate well to the NBA just like Smarts game has. If Smart can improve on his shot so can Jaylen Brown. He does have a nice in the arc scoring ability he's just gotta work on his outside shooting. He will gain strength as his second and third year he will develop into a strong threat in the paint. If the Celtics keep the pick and draft Jaylen I'd be happy with that

Well I'd say that is more of the problem. Offensively Smart's game hasn't done jack ****, he can't shoot and doesn't drive, can't seem to take anyone off the dribble, has no go to move and makes you squirm every time he touches the ball worried something bad is going to happen. Going into year 3 he is at best a rotation player right now.

Cosign, and TP for the laugh.

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 12:23:37 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't.

Same here.  The only thing I will say, though, is that we could really stockpile a ton of talent just in this draft alone so that we wouldn't have to wait 3-5 years to get all the players we need.  We have a unique opportunity, here, to dramatically reshape our team for the better, imo, but of course in order for that to happen, Ainge actually has to draft well.  God help us.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:37:20 AM by Beat LA »