Author Topic: What is Danny's plan for the PF spot?  (Read 10478 times)

Re: What is Danny's plan for the PF spot?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
First and foremost, I think there's a decent chance that Jeff Green starts at the PF spot.  Even if he doesn't start there, he's going to get significant minutes there.  Danny Ainge isn't going to give him fairly big money to play 15 mpg behind Paul Pierce.  People can gripe about it, but it's going to be a reality regardless of how you feel. 

Second, I think the C's have to be hesitant to give Bass a long deal.  Bass is very good at what he does--hitting open jumpers and finishing around the basket when he's set up--but he is very much a role player.  How soon will it be before Sullinger and/or Johnson surpass him on the depth chart?  And since none of those three are particularly well equipped to play the 5 (at least not paired with each other), Bass could very well be an overpaid bench player getting very little time in the not so distant future. 

Short term it would be nice to hold onto Bass, but I'd be worried about him getting beaten out by the younger guys and then losing his value as a trade commodity as he rots on the bench. 

I'd rather go with Green, Sullinger, and Johnson (with some mixing in of KG).  Then I'd focus on centers like Wilcox and Krstic.  That gives the C's more flexibility as a guy like Wilcox can play the 4 or 5.  Both also would be more likely to agree to smaller and cheaper deals. 

I wonder if we could get Bass for a 1 year, $8 mil deal, similar to the one Humphries got.  Maybe a partially guaranteed 2nd year.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
if we have to spend 8m on PF, i'd rather get Carl Landry, the Nets is interested in him.

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
First and foremost, I think there's a decent chance that Jeff Green starts at the PF spot.  Even if he doesn't start there, he's going to get significant minutes there.  Danny Ainge isn't going to give him fairly big money to play 15 mpg behind Paul Pierce.  People can gripe about it, but it's going to be a reality regardless of how you feel. 

Second, I think the C's have to be hesitant to give Bass a long deal.  Bass is very good at what he does--hitting open jumpers and finishing around the basket when he's set up--but he is very much a role player.  How soon will it be before Sullinger and/or Johnson surpass him on the depth chart?  And since none of those three are particularly well equipped to play the 5 (at least not paired with each other), Bass could very well be an overpaid bench player getting very little time in the not so distant future. 

Short term it would be nice to hold onto Bass, but I'd be worried about him getting beaten out by the younger guys and then losing his value as a trade commodity as he rots on the bench. 

I'd rather go with Green, Sullinger, and Johnson (with some mixing in of KG).  Then I'd focus on centers like Wilcox and Krstic.  That gives the C's more flexibility as a guy like Wilcox can play the 4 or 5.  Both also would be more likely to agree to smaller and cheaper deals. 

I wonder if we could get Bass for a 1 year, $8 mil deal, similar to the one Humphries got.  Maybe a partially guaranteed 2nd year.

I'd love for that to happen.  I'd even go two years at 8 million per year.  I'm just afraid we go 4 years and by year 2 he's rotting behind Sullinger and/or JJJ and he's lost all his value as a trade commodity. 

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Stuck with Bass starting. Unfortunately.

It's looking more and more likely. I think Ainge intends to resign Bass.

That means once KG hits the bench the paint will open like the red sea once again.
Really feeling less and less like I want Bass back.  With a vet center, it allows KG to mainly play PF, and gives Doc more options for how to protect the paint.  The extra bonus with Camby over Bass is better rebounding, which was been a major issue for this team.

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
I wouldn't be at all opposed to sticking w/ Bass - it works for now. Especially if Danny finally gets  this team a bench. Terry, Green, Sullinger, Steimsma, could provide enough D and offense to turn this team into defensive version of the Spurs with depth and limited minutes for our vets.

I do feel, as I can see other do too, that a quality starter at the 4 would take us from dark horse contender to legit top 3 team. Josh Smith may be a pipe dream with the recent moves in ATL, Jefferson or Scola would be very helpful and very addable pieces. With all the moves being made by the Nets it would be nice to ensure we stay well above them and Philly in the Atlantic. Still waiting for that big move... (Yes I know, it may not come)

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
As for the OP, we just have to hope Bass doesn't bail for another suitor.

I think our best bet to upgrade the PF spot is in a midseason trade.

Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, Big Al, Luis Scola... all could be available depending on what our assets are looking like (do our rookies storm out of the gate?  JJJ? Stiemsma? Will we have Krstic on a short-team deal as ballast?).

I am really hoping to get it done this summer and I do like the 4 guys you mentioned. Reading this post makes me realize how quickly people forget about our AWFUL rebounding. My wife asked me to stop watching because all I scream about is the lack of rebounding. >:(

We have to get a rebounder, we would be so much better and be able to finish teams off easier.

With Terry signing, and if we get Ray back (which I'm not sure I want back for $6 mill), Danny could use AB in a trade to get a rebounder.

AB and Bass does that get us one of those guys?

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
It'll be Garnett. He's been open about his opposition to playing center next year. There had to have been some sort of promise when he re-signed that he would be moved back to the 4.

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 10:53:35 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

I wish we could do a Steamer for Randolph sign and trade and give Randolph a crack at the starting lineup..dude is a beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gj8IXhxnK8

Would be electrifying to see him on the court with Rondo. Dude reminds me of a young KG.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:59:45 PM by LEHGOCELTICS »

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
I like Randolph, he'd be a beast if he learned how to focus and play D next to KG. He can board and block shots no problem. He can finish at the rim and would be a great foil to Bass, a beefy, shooter and a lanky rebounder.

I bet Danny sits tight with Bass, Sully and JJJ already on the roster. Another PF would just steal minutes from the developing youngsters. Afterall, Randolph is a project still.

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
I wish we had a "project" like Anthony Randolph to keep me awake at night worrying whether he will be good enough.
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Watch the association Boston celtics I want cry we had chances but caught some bad break. [dang]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:34:35 PM by Celtics Fan »

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Oh I'm feeling the pain.

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I hope Sully doesn't slim down and lose all the strength he relied on to rip boards in college

Do we still have Xavier McDaniel's bird rights? Might not be a bad option.

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
I wish we had a "project" like Anthony Randolph to keep me awake at night worrying whether he will be good enough.

Here you go:

JaJuan Johnson, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo,

Is JJJ the next poor mans Ryan Anderson?

Is Sully the next Elton Brand? (Pre-injury Elton of course)

Is Melo the next Perkins?