Author Topic: Can we have a real bench next year?  (Read 10764 times)

Re: Can we have a real bench next year?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
sure we can have a real bench next year .

Sign Kaman or Humpheries on a one year 8 mil deal
resign Jeff Green for 2 yr deal at 5 mil
Hope Bass doesn't opt out
resign Ray for 1 year deal
sign or draft a backup PG

PG: Rondo           / Vet PG or Pick
SG: Bradley         / Ray
SF: PP              / Green
PF: Humpheris or KG / Bass / Green
 C: Kaman or KG    / 1st rnd pick

Thats a lot more fire power off the bench
Do you think that team is a legit contender?

I think that team is (on paper), significantly better than the team that is a potential contender right now.

....I also think a rotation like this is wishful thinking at best.  They won't be able to afford to keep everyone, bring back Green, and bring in a big man like Kaman or Humphries.
I don't actually think that team is appreciably better than the current team and certainly don't think it is a legit contender, so I don't see the point. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think that team is (on paper), significantly better than the team that is a potential contender right now.

....I also think a rotation like this is wishful thinking at best.  They won't be able to afford to keep everyone, bring back Green, and bring in a big man like Kaman or Humphries.
I don't actually think that team is appreciably better than the current team and certainly don't think it is a legit contender, so I don't see the point. 

Because you think the older guys will deteriorate that much (which I can certainly see)?

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We're contenders this year, I don't see why adding Humphries and Green would be a big step backwards.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »

Offline RajonRondo9Dime

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9

We're contenders this year, I don't see why adding Humphries and Green would be a big step backwards.

Because Garnett would be 37 and Pierce would be 35 come playoff time....

You really think two guys of that age can be lead dogs on a championship team? The answer is no. Absolutely not. They haven't won since 2008, I don't get why people think they will now.

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You really think two guys of that age can be lead dogs on a championship team? The answer is no. Absolutely not. They haven't won since 2008, I don't get why people think they will now.

I would say guys 34 and 36 wouldn't be able to lead a team with no real depth to a very good chance at the ECF (and perhaps more).  And we are watching that happen. So, anything is possible. 

But again, its a moot point, because they couldn't afford that Roster.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The only reason our bench suffers currently is due to injuries. Making all these hypotheticals about a potential roster for a "real" bench is meaningless if we factor in the injury problems we've had this year, and these new rosters in no way prevents that.

We have very solid bench at the moment, just very banged up and a bit misued in some areas. Pietrus is a very good back-up, but quite banged up. No need to speak of our PF/C rotation as that was the one hardest hit by injuries, particulaly with how Wilcox was playing as he got healthier until the heart problems.

Oh, and we got Ray on the bench playing through the bone spurs thing and he's had a very solid playoffs so far. Problems at the 3pt and FT line, but still putting quality minutes and finding other ways to score. A couple of games where he's been awful here and there, but that's nothing new. He's had plenty of very good games too. Well, isn't that pretty much what you ask of bench players? So he fits the role quite well.

And Dooling, the one people hated through the season, he's stepped up quite a bit during the playoffs. A bit of trouble running the offense, but he's been hitting his shots and playing solid defense. He's been having some trouble against Philly.

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Because you think the older guys will deteriorate that much (which I can certainly see)?
Absolutely and they will miss a lot of time.  I mean look at Allen, dude can barely walk right now and missed a bunch of time.  Pierce is hobbled and has been average at best this year.  Garnett seems rejuvinated, but how low can that really last.  Even assuming you could add Humphries or Kaman and keep Ray, KG, and Green (which I don't think you can), you aren't improving the team that much.  Kaman is always missing time and isn't a rebounder or defender.  Humphries is a solid role player, but not much more than that (same with Green). 

And let's be realistic, if Al Horford was healthy, Boston doesn't beat Atlanta and if Rose doesn't go down, Chicago beats Boston this round.  The only reason Boston has a shot (a very small shot mind you) is because of major injuries to key players on better teams and Boston's relative health (Allen, Pierce, and Bradley are all ailing, but they are all playing).

That team should be slightly better, but only slightly and that doesn't make the Celtics a legit contender, so I don't see the point.  If Boston can't add a real player this year, they should go into full bore rebuilding, which means trading Pierce, not bringing back Allen or KG, and going with the young guys and getting a very high lottery pick.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Moranis, I am with you. The chances of them being even as healthy and productive as they are right now are very slim.  So the chances of contending are probably microscopic, unless Green suddenly reaches his potential, or Bradley takes another MAJOR jump.

With that said, with that roster (again, not realistic), their chances of contending would still likely be miles ahead of their chances if they didn't bring those guys back.

Unless you have a superstar in their prime(or 3), your chances of winning a championship in the NBA are microscopic, and need to rely on luck.  But, you are still better off with that small chance than no chance at all, which is where the C's would be if they completely blew it up.

Really though, its out of their hands.  It is all going to depend on the market.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The team went to the finals 2 years ago, they might this year and this is the only year since we won the title that we weren't arguably the best team in the league for a good stretch of time. I don't get why people act like our window closed in 2009.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

And let's be realistic, if Al Horford was healthy, Boston doesn't beat Atlanta and if Rose doesn't go down, Chicago beats Boston this round.  The only reason Boston has a shot (a very small shot mind you) is because of major injuries to key players on better teams and Boston's relative health (Allen, Pierce, and Bradley are all ailing, but they are all playing).

Realistically, if Horford was healthy we still probably win. If PP was healthy and KG and Rondo were playing like they are now the Bulls series could go either way, and if we're reasonably healthy we probably beat the Heat. But other teams having injuries helps, just like it helps the eventual winner every year. That's what it means to be a contender. If you're playing well and you get some breaks you can win a title. It doesn't mean that if you have injury problems and nobody else does you're still among the favorites.

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 02:03:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Moranis, I am with you. The chances of them being even as healthy and productive as they are right now are very slim.  So the chances of contending are probably microscopic, unless Green suddenly reaches his potential, or Bradley takes another MAJOR jump.

With that said, with that roster (again, not realistic), their chances of contending would still likely be miles ahead of their chances if they didn't bring those guys back.

Unless you have a superstar in their prime(or 3), your chances of winning a championship in the NBA are microscopic, and need to rely on luck.  But, you are still better off with that small chance than no chance at all, which is where the C's would be if they completely blew it up.

Really though, its out of their hands.  It is all going to depend on the market.
The team is going to have to rebuild at some point, so I'd rather just do it now and be better positioned for the summer of 2013 and hope that some of the young players are more attractive to potential free agents (and the lottery pick will also help that).  I can't see that team realistically getting out of the second round next year and even winning the division will be tough, and that just isn't a good place to be with an old team.  Celtics should just go young and start over and get what they can for Pierce and go into 2013 with cap room for two top tier free agents (Dwight Howard and Josh Smith for example). 

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Will DA actually provide our team with a bench this offseason?

I don't understand how anyone that followed the Cs from last season to this season can criticism Ainge on the roster.

He had the following bench in place for this season,

Jeff Green
Brandon Bass
Avery Bradley
Chris Wilcox
Keyon Dooling
Marquis Daniels
Greg Steimsma
JJJ
Moore
Sasha

That is a pretty solid lineup, then the inuries destroyed that grout and JO.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Will DA actually provide our team with a bench this offseason?

I don't understand how anyone that followed the Cs from last season to this season can criticism Ainge on the roster.

He had the following bench in place for this season,

Jeff Green
Brandon Bass
Avery Bradley
Chris Wilcox
Keyon Dooling
Marquis Daniels
Greg Steimsma
JJJ
Moore
Sasha
That is a pretty solid lineup, then the inuries destroyed that grout and JO.
agreed.  The bench Danny was going to build was pretty solid.  The one thing I think he really could have done a better job of was keeping Krstic with the team instead of having him skip to play Euro ball.  I don't think there's anyone here that wouldn't prefer Krispy to Hollins right now.

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
agreed.  The bench Danny was going to build was pretty solid.  The one thing I think he really could have done a better job of was keeping Krstic with the team instead of having him skip to play Euro ball.  I don't think there's anyone here that wouldn't prefer Krispy to Hollins right now.

but even that wasn't Danny's doing, he replaced Kristic with Wilcox. Wilcox > Kristic > Hollins
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Danny should have signed Jeff Green and Chris Wilcox  :'(