Author Topic: Can we have a real bench next year?  (Read 10760 times)

Can we have a real bench next year?
« on: May 19, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Alright I'll ask it...

Will DA actually provide our team with a bench this offseason?

During these playoffs I've watched teams like the spurs, mavs last year, pacers, even the sixers. They all have players who provide quality minutes off the bench.

Our bench is unreliable... it has been all season. Technically ray off the bench was meant to provide a spark but his ankle is shot, I don't expect him to do much for the rest of the playoffs. Pietrus has been inconsistent, I'm not really sure what the deal with him is. Reminds me of J.R Smith a bit, great one night terrible the next. Dooling has been ok in the playoffs ill give him that. But the problem is no one at all is reliable. When the starters begin to slump, we have no one to pick up the slack.

Now I understand that DA had to rush it a bit this past offseason, but this team definitely needs to be reconstructed in this offseason. We need to get pieces that fit the puzzle, we need a reliable bench. We shouldn't be surprised when our bench puts up numbers, it should be common in the system of a championship level team.

Re: Can we have a real bench next year?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

Offline RajonRondo9Dime

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
You want a bench next year...?

Why, because you think the Big 3 era is going to still be here? No.

This is it, get over it.

This team isn't a bench from winning a championship. They are old. Move on.

Danny was very close to adding David West to a bench that already had Brandon Bass, and Jeff Green.

Dooling
Pietrus
Green
West
Green
Wilcox
Ray/Bradley

Don't tell me that's not a good bench. It's not Danny's fault things didn't work out.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

This is it, get over it.

Danny was very close to adding David West to a bench that already had Brandon Bass, and Jeff Green.

Dooling
Pietrus
Green
West
Green
Wilcox
Ray/Bradley

Don't tell me that's not a good bench. It's not Danny's fault things didn't work out.

It has nothing to do with the big 3 era... I don't think they'll be here either. But big 3 era or no big 3 a team requires a reliable bench. I know DA had no control over the heart ailments or West deciding on Indiana, I'm not even bashing him. I'm just hoping hes watching these games and works hard in the offseason to create a good bench to compliment whoever starts next year. Thats it

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »

Offline RajonRondo9Dime

• Brad Stevens

This is it, get over it.

Dooling
Pietrus
Green
West
Green
Wilcox
Ray/Bradley

It has nothing to do with the big 3 era... I don't think they'll be here either. But big 3 era or no big 3 a team requires a reliable bench. I know DA had no control over the heart ailments or West deciding on Indiana, I'm not even bashing him. I'm just hoping hes watching these games and works hard in the offseason to create a good bench to compliment whoever starts next year. Thats it

I guess, but what's the point of having a strong bench when you're a team destined for the lottery..? I mean, why waste the effort? lol.

I'm not one of those "fans" that expects a competitive team next year, or even the year after next. Patience. It's gonna be a long process.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
C'mon, don't act like two of our best bench player didn't go down.  Remember Green and Wilcox?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This is it, get over it.

Dooling
Pietrus
Green
West
Green
Wilcox
Ray/Bradley

you don't get a bench unless you have a starting unit worth having a bench for. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The question should be "Can we have a real starting lineup next year?"

60% of the starting lineup are free agents.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
The question should be "Can we have a real starting lineup next year?"

60% of the starting lineup are free agents.

Ray doesn't start. 40% maybe if Bass opts-out.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
C'mon, don't act like two of our best bench player didn't go down.  Remember Green and Wilcox?

Seriously. And to heart defects. What can Danny do about that?

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
C'mon, don't act like two of our best bench player didn't go down.  Remember Green and Wilcox?

Danny did a terrific job of putting a bench together.  We're still reeling from the mistake of signing somebody with the history of dogging it O'Neal had.  But he couldn't have done a much better job of building a bench.

The blessing of the circumstances is that we have a solid backup center and a starting guard....Neither of whom we'd have found out much about without.

Green and Wilcox both might be starters next year.  If Garnett isn't resigned...Green might be going back to being an undersized 4.  

With a training camp...It'd be fun to watch a 4 try to keep up with Green and Rondo on the break.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

With a training camp...It'd be fun to watch a 4 try to keep up with Green and Rondo on the break.

Yeah. On those increasingly rare occasions when it dawns on Rondo to push the basketball ...
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
To me the big questions are

1) Will KG return?

2) Will Danny manage to upgrade at starting PF?

3) Will he do something more drastic trading players we think will be back?

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Yeah. On those increasingly rare occasions when it dawns on Rondo to push the basketball ...

Do you expect him to push the pace on every possession of every game?  He needs to do what he does, which is keep a balance between when to run and when to slow it down and run some half court sets.

I love it when our old guys get up and down the court, but we are not built to be a full time running team with 3 of our top 4 players being 35 or older. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »

Offline RajonRondo9Dime

• Brad Stevens
To me the big questions are

1) Will KG return?

2) Will Danny manage to upgrade at starting PF?

3) Will he do something more drastic trading players we think will be back?

As sad as it would be to see Paul go, I would like to see them move him.

Would make sense for the future, and ray and kg will be gone

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This is it, get over it.

Dooling
Pietrus
Green
West
Green
Wilcox
Ray/Bradley

I guess, but what's the point of having a strong bench when you're a team destined for the lottery..? I mean, why waste the effort? lol.

I'm not one of those "fans" that expects a competitive team next year, or even the year after next. Patience. It's gonna be a long process.
Forget about what "might have been" with West.  The ACTUAL second unit was

Dooling
Pietrus
Bass
Wilcox
Bradley
and Green was supposed to be part of it too.
Sorry, it just is not Danny's fault.