Poll

Would you trade Bradley for a top 15 pick in the 2012 draft?

yes
10 (17.9%)
no
46 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Would you trade Bradley for a top 15 pick in the 2012 draft?  (Read 10152 times)

Re: Would you trade Bradley for a top 15 pick in the 2012 draft?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 06:22:53 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
NO. Bird in hand worth 2 in bush.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
No.  Bradley has proven, without question, that he is a potential All-Defensive 1st teamer. Those don't walk through your door every day.

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »

Offline KevinConnor

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
I don't know I m still not completely convinced about AB. Him being only 6ft2 is a bit of a concern also.

What about the two first rounders and AB for the number 1 pick, would you guys do that?

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 08:32:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Top 5...yes.

Top 6-10...really have to think about it.

Top 11-15...no.
Agreed but top 5/6-10/11-15 player not pick.

All depends on your grade on who is still on the board. Getting a guy who's talented but slipping like evans did or other players would be worth it.
That's kinda what I meant.

My top 5 players are Davis, Robinson, Kidd-Gilchrist, Beal, Barnes. I would probably trade him any one of them and Drummond. Other than that I keep him.
This.

Bradley won't get a top 5-6 pick in this draft.  other than that, stick with him.  He's gone from looking like a bust to a solid rotation player in 30 games this year.  imagine what he could look like next year with an actual training camp under his belt.

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I voted yes, because if Bradley was in this draft I don't think he goes in the top 15.  As an example, nbadraft.net has Jared Sullinger at 15 right now, who would you rather have going forward?  Given he has already had a fairly serious knee injury and his game is predicated a great deal on athleticism, I would make that trade and wouldn't give it a second thought.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I don't know I m still not completely convinced about AB. Him being only 6ft2 is a bit of a concern also.

What about the two first rounders and AB for the number 1 pick, would you guys do that?

In a heartbeat, but CHA (or whoever) wouldn't.

I'm not convinced about Bradley either as a starter in the future.  AB definitely has all-Defensive team possibilities if he was defending the PG every night, but he's an undersized SG with limited mid-range offense assuming that opposing coaches eventually plan to take his cuts behind the defense away.  If he's not starting, All-D teams will be hard to make even if he's the best defensive guard in the NBA.

If opponents let him sit in the corner and cover him when he cuts to the basket, then he's a below average SG offensively. He doesn't go left (look at his shot charts) and draws a extremely low number of FTs because his basic move is mid-range catch-and-shoot or one-two dribbles and shoot. He's a below-average long-2 and 3FG shooter. Has always had tunnel vision with the ball in his hands and isn't a PG in any sense of the word other than getting the ball over half court.  Doesn't appear to have a great handle either. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect that he'll revert to his mean offensively when the opposition wises up and pays attention to his cutting to the basket without the ball. I can't recall anyone making a livintg off doing that in the NBA although he is exceptionally quick.

If you read his DraftExpress write-ups you'll see the same things you see now, except for the off-ball cuts to the basket which are defensible, and a better FT stroke than before (on a small sample). Defensively, we can expect more post-ups like Wade did (unsuccessfully, but on an off-night)and AB's not going to be able to overcome size issues on simple fade-aways.  My guess is a little better player than Lindsey Hunter albeit with a mid-range vs 3-ball game or a lesser T Allen. Borderline starter. I acknowledge he may have more upside, but a lot of his offensive "progress" to date seems to be the off-ball cutting and playing under more control (he was simply one of the worst offensive guards I've ever seen earlier in the season and I think opposing teams haven't wised up to him yet because of that).

I'd trade him for a top 10 pick to get a big.  After that, in this over-rated draft, it's a crap shoot and I'd keep him and hope for the best.

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
No.  Bradley has proven that he can be a good rotation player in the NBA.  There's no guarantee that a guy chosen in the late lottery will be able to match his production.

This was my immediate thought.

I don't think you give up a proven asset like Bradley, who has a specific skill (his defense) that'll keep him on a team on a team's rotation no matter how poor the rest of his game. Not that it's poor - I actually think he's become incredible intelligent off the ball - but that defense is always going to be there no matter what.

You don't give that up unless it's for an absolute sure thing.

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I voted yes, because if Bradley was in this draft I don't think he goes in the top 15.  As an example, nbadraft.net has Jared Sullinger at 15 right now, who would you rather have going forward?  Given he has already had a fairly serious knee injury and his game is predicated a great deal on athleticism, I would make that trade and wouldn't give it a second thought.  
I have serious issues with the thinking that Sullinger is going to be a very good NBA player. He has very little quickness or wingspan compared to the better portion of NBA power forwards and has no facing the basket game. Help defenses with big long centers and PFs will eat him alive in the post.

Without an outside game to compliment his back to the basket game, I see him struggling in the NBA. His ceiling might be Kris Humphries. I would rather have Bradley and his excellent shooting mechanics, superb defense and ability to learn and grow than Sullinger.

Actually as Sullinger gets measured out and does the various workouts for teams, my guess is his stock will fall, possibly out of the lottery.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:44:15 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I voted yes, because if Bradley was in this draft I don't think he goes in the top 15.  As an example, nbadraft.net has Jared Sullinger at 15 right now, who would you rather have going forward?  Given he has already had a fairly serious knee injury and his game is predicated a great deal on athleticism, I would make that trade and wouldn't give it a second thought.  
I have serious issues with the thinking that Sullinger is going to be a very good NBA player. He has very little or wingspan compared to the better portion of NBA power forwards and has no facing the basket game. help defenses with big long centers and PFs with eat him alive in the post.

Without an outside game to compliment his back to the basket game, I see him struggling in the NBA. His ceiling might be Kris Humphries. I would rather have Bradley and his excellent shooting mechanics, superb defense and ability to learn and grow than Sullinger.

Actually as Sullinger gets measured out and does the various workouts for teams, my guess is his stock will fall, possibly out of the lottery.
15 is out of the lottery.  Terrence Ross is projected at 19.  He is better than Bradley in my opinion. 

Bradley is an undersized SG that relies on athleticism that had already had one serious knee injury.  He isn't a great outside shooter.  His ball handling is below average for SG's, which means he can't start at PG, but his size will be a big problem against many SG's (he will just get backed down and shot over).  Bradley is a solid first guard off the bench type player, but that is the best he will ever be.  I'd much rather take the chance on a young guy that could be a lot more (nbadraft.net picks 11-15 are Tyler Zeller, Meyers Leonard, Perry Jones, Kendall Marhsall, Jared Sullinger - heck even 16-20 seem like better options to me they are - Moe Harkless, John Henson, Doron Lamb, Terrence Ross, Terrence Jones).  I'd probably take every single one of those players over Avery Bradley. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:07 AM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Trading a 21 year old, who you've been working with & developing the last 2-3 years ?

Heck no.  Tony Allen type defender, with actual offense to boot.  His shot will only continue to get better, & better, & better.....

You continue developing him & make everybody that doubted him eat there words when he becomes flat out better than a guy like John Wall.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

If you're not convinced about AB, how can you be convinced with someone who has never even played in the NBA yet?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Not now he is playing really well right now. Didn't realize he had 19 last night. Gotta keep him simply the best on ball defense I have seen in a long time. he is insanse. Very rare do you  see a 21 your old who is in his second year be such a great defender.

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 12:01:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Bradley had stayed in college and developed for the past two seasons, I think he might have shown enough improvement (I'd expect his 3P% in college to be better than the 37% he shot in the D-League last season) that he would be drafted somewhere ahead of Damian Lillard and Austin Rivers as the third or fourth guard taken overall.

I'm not saying Bradley will eventually be an above-average starting shooting guard in the NBA, but I have serious doubts about the talent evaluation abilities of anyone who says he has zero chance of doing so.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118

If you're not convinced about AB, how can you be convinced with someone who has never even played in the NBA yet?

I think it's ok for people not to be convinced about Bradley yet.  As long as they realize the kid is still only 21, & his game can still be developed & improved.  Let's talk when he's 23-25 & see where he's at then.  Sky is the limit.

Now if someone is offering a #1 pick for him & our picks, of course your pulling the trigger on that.  You take your chance on what the Kentucky star can do in this league, as compared to Bradley and what he'll become.  Easy gamble.

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
No.  Bradley has proven that he can be a good rotation player in the NBA.  There's no guarantee that a guy chosen in the late lottery will be able to match his production.

Honestly Bradley seems like he has Rondo type potential. Meaning he was darted late in the first round and has All-Star Ability. I truly believe AB is on his way to becoming one of the top 20-30 players in this league in three years.

His defense is that good. He has a knack for cutting to the basket. His mid-range is good also. He will finally get an opportunity to really practice his skills in summer league and he is an underrated athlete. I see the same potential in him that I saw in Rondo in 2008.

He may be small but that boy is strong. You don't defend Wade like he did if you aren't athletic and surprisingly strong. I think he can be a starting SG in the NBA no problem and then some.

I'm also not saying this because of this hot streak. I have been a fan since he was at UT and was so happy we stole him at 19 in the draft. He has Russell Westbrook type athleticism and his ceiling is very very high.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14