Author Topic: Rondo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wall  (Read 10539 times)

Re: Rondo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wall
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
There is no question that Wall is more physically gifted than Rondo. Wall is faster, jumps higher and has a stronger body. When Wall figures out from experience how to control himself and make his team mates better, watch out D Rose...
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
There is no question that Wall is more physically gifted than Rondo. Wall is faster, jumps higher and has a stronger body. When Wall figures out from experience how to control himself and make his team mates better, watch out D Rose...

Being more physically gifted doesn't always make a better player. BBIQ, court awareness, how quickly you see things develop are just as important.

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  Just the fact that a thread like this has to be made comparing a first year player with a fifth year player says a lot about where they both stand. 

It's probably in response to all of the recent claims that Wall is a better pg than Rondo. Rondo's multiple appearances in all-star games and the all-defense teams as well as his ring and all those playoff triple doubles say more about where he stands than a thread here does.

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
KungPoweChicke,

What about the assist to turnover ratio? Do you just not care for that stat?

I understand the stat. I just don't see the relevancy or applicability when applying it to Rondo's game. Doesn't he turn down layups to get assists? How many other point guards in the league turn down two layups a game just to get two more assists on the stat sheet? Doesn't Rondo also play with three hall of fame players, who you could argue are three of the best jump shooters at their positions (which makes them perfect for getting assists).

One other thing about this: you claim that it's a lot easier for Rondo to get assists than Wall because he's passing the ball to better shooters. The opposite is probably true. What you're missing is that PP/RA/KG are more likely to pass the ball after getting it than Wall's teammates. You often hear that the Celts over-pass the ball. That's not a huge problem for the Wizards.

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Rondo is better than him now, but it's Wall's first season and I think talent-wise he ultimately has a higher ceiling than Rondo.

Depends on whether Rondo's jumper gets a little better or not. But having a higher ceiling and reaching it are two different things.

You are absolutely correct on this Bball.  So far Rondo has shown steady progress the last few years and has gotten himself to an all star level.  In that same respect it will be interesting to see how Wall progresses next year, what sort of leap will he make (if he makes any at all.)  They've cleared out the roster for him, they've got a patient and experienced head coach in Flip and they mentioned Sam Cassell was working hard with Wall the other night on the sidelines during the game.  The Wizards chances of improving will directly correlate with how much Wall improves.  We'll see where he's at in year 5.

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »

Offline ben_from_boston

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
I feel like some people have forgotten Rondo's performance in the playoffs last year and at the start of the regular season this year, when he was a leading candidate for MVP with unreal assist numbers.

Then mid-season fatigue and injuries take their toll and Rondo decides that maintaining all-star level play simply isn't worth the possible injuries that may carry over to the playoffs.  Thus his play declines and people forget very quickly just how guard our point guard can be. 

When he moves his feet he is as good as any superstar in the league.  His current play [i.e., taking games off] in no way resembles how he will perform in the playoffs. 

Seriously, I'd choose him over any other point guard in the game to build my team around.