Author Topic: Rondo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wall  (Read 10544 times)

Re: Rondo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wall
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 12:45:27 AM »

Offline PseudoElite

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 42
I would truly HOPE that Rondo is better than Wall, a first year rookie.

If Rondo can fix his Shooting/FT problems and become more consistent, he will become a true all star.

Otherwise, Wall, Rose, D.Williams, are a lot of good competition in the East for that All-Star spot.
Celtics' turn on switch for the playoffs: the last bastion of hope for battered Celtic fans.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 01:27:27 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Give Wall 2-3 years and he'll leap ahead of Rondo just like Rose and Westbrook have done.

Westbrook really isn't a better player than Rondo.

Yeah, he is.  He's a statistical twin with Derrick Rose (and Rose doesn't have to share the ball with Kevin Durant).  

Neither Westbrook nor Rose would be as good a fit for this team as Rondo (at his best) is.  However, both Rose and Westbrook are better overall players than Rondo, and all things being equal I'd choose Rose or Westbrook as a core piece ahead of Rondo.

There are 6 or 7 point guards I would choose over Rondo if I were starting an NBA franchise, considering age: Paul, Williams, Wall, Rose, Westbrook, and Curry. Rondo isn't in any of those players leagues as far as overall talent is concerned.  

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 01:31:15 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Give Wall 2-3 years and he'll leap ahead of Rondo just like Rose and Westbrook have done.

Yeah, he is.  He's a statistical twin with Derrick Rose (and Rose doesn't have to share the ball with Kevin Durant).  

Neither Westbrook nor Rose would be as good a fit for this team as Rondo (at his best) is.  However, both Rose and Westbrook are better overall players than Rondo, and all things being equal I'd choose Rose or Westbrook as a core piece ahead of Rondo.

There are 6 or 7 point guards I would choose over Rondo if I were starting an NBA franchise, considering age: Paul, Williams, Wall, Rose, Westbrook, and Curry. Rondo isn't in any of those players leagues as far as overall talent is concerned.  

And that's because you say so.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 01:33:09 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

No, the stats do.

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 01:38:26 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166

I absolutely agree. As much as I don't like to say it, that's the truth. Rondo, unless he really kicks it up a notch, has hit a plateau.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 01:40:50 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Totally agree, (TP), and I'll believe the other when it happens.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

No, the stats do.

You're entitled to interpret the stats that way, but that's very debatable.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:42 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

What is there to believe? Westbrook is the better all around player. Do you ever sit back and think how flawed of a player Rondo is? He has no offensive game at all. He is a majorly flawed player. What is Westbrook's biggest weakness? You want to hear Rondo's? He's shooting 54% from the line, 24% from 3pt land, and he still cannot hit the most wide open 15 footers any player in the NBA gets.

If you think Rondo is the better overall player than Westbrook, give me a stat of Westbrook's that is as egregious as an NBA point guard shooting 54% from the line.

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 01:55:47 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

What is there to believe? Westbrook is the better all around player. Do you ever sit back and think how flawed of a player Rondo is? He has no offensive game at all. He is a majorly flawed player. What is Westbrook's biggest weakness? You want to hear Rondo's? He's shooting 54% from the line, 24% from 3pt land, and he still cannot hit the most wide open 15 footers any player in the NBA gets.

If you think Rondo is the better overall player than Westbrook, give me a stat of Westbrook's that is as egregious as an NBA point guard shooting 54% from the line.

Sorry for answering a question intended for Bakhu, but having an assist to turnover ratio of 2.12 is a pretty egregious stat for a point guard as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:25:30 AM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 02:02:28 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Let's add that according HoopData, Rondo is shooting 41% from 16-23 ft. while Westbrook's percentage from that distance is at 35%. 

Let me also add that I really like Russell Westbrook as a player, but would rather have Rajon Rondo running the show. 

Just my opinion. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 02:09:37 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Let's add that according HoopData, Rondo is shooting 41% from 16-23 ft. while Westbrook's percentage from that distance is at 35%. 

Let me also add that I really like Russell Westbrook as a player, but would rather have Rajon Rondo running the show. 

Just my opinion. 

According to 82games, Rondo shoots 38% on jump shots, Westbrook shoots 37%. Consider the fact that Westbrook doesn't get to consistently face defenses that don't cover him like Rondo does.

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 02:13:25 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

This may be nitpicking, but after tonight's 6 for 6 from the line, Rondo's free throw percentage is now .569.  I'll feel comfortable rounding that up to 57%.  I know you chose to round 54.8% down to 54%. I'll spare you explaining the rules on rounding decimals as I'm sure you already know them.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 02:21:40 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Just my opinion. 

According to 82games, Rondo shoots 38% on jump shots, Westbrook shoots 37%. Consider the fact that Westbrook doesn't get to consistently face defenses that don't cover him like Rondo does.

I don't watch that many Thunder games, but I doubt defenders are being told to really try to crowd Westbrook on the perimeter because that's where he'll hurt you.

Also, I suspect that the numbers from 82games are a week or so behind.  The ones on HoopData looked similar to that while Rondo was in the middle of his really horrible slump.  He's actually upped that a little lately by starting to hit some of his jumpers again. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 02:28:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
KungPoweChicke,

What about the assist to turnover ratio? Do you just not care for that stat?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
KungPoweChicke,

What about the assist to turnover ratio? Do you just not care for that stat?

I understand the stat. I just don't see the relevancy or applicability when applying it to Rondo's game. Doesn't he turn down layups to get assists? How many other point guards in the league turn down two layups a game just to get two more assists on the stat sheet? Doesn't Rondo also play with three hall of fame players, who you could argue are three of the best jump shooters at their positions (which makes them perfect for getting assists).

Also, the stat is highly relevant to who your teammates are. However, the free throw percentage stat has no relevancy to who your teammates are. To put it this way, if Rondo were playing for the Wizards not only would he still be shooting 57% from the free throw line, but it is my opinion that he would also be playing with John Wall's assist to turnover ratio.

And for the record, my name is actually KungPoweChicken, but the n gets cut off.