Author Topic: Jermaine O'Neal starts clothing line in spare time. REALLY??  (Read 10568 times)

Playing devil's advocate and saying good for him to be this open mindedness
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »

Offline missyP

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 10
How many stories of stars in the NBA have we heard that made a fortune and blew it all.
The guy realizes life doesn't start and end with basketball after all(excluding us fans.. basketball is only a business). I watched the video and I like what he is doing. I would be worried if he was working out 24-7 and playing video games in between.

The guy is an entrepreneur.. Anybody who has ever been to Indianapolis and been to that other ginormous club he owns?? Create jobs JO, keep looking outside the box, save your monies and most importantly come back healthy to help us get #18.

Re: Jermaine O'Neal starts clothing line in spare time. REALLY??
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It does seem strange that he didn't elect to have the surgery at the beginning. Maybe he'd be playing with us now and we could sure use him now.

Things sometimes go wrong, even in routine surgery.  I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to treat surgery as an option of last resort and avoid it as much as possible.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Do you think he spends 24 hours a day at the gym rehabbing?

I just went to the mall and got Paul Pierce's autograph; he's signing for about 300 people.  Are you going to criticize him for doing that before a game night?

What about Shaq going around town, filming Letterman, commericals, and TV shows?

Athletes do more than just play games, practice, and work out.  Actually they're human beings just like us and have lives.

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 09:15:06 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don't really buy the "he could have been rehabbing" argument.  I mean, guys can't work out (especially after surgery) 24-7.  He's got down time like everyone else, and rather than drinking and gambling, he's exploring his business horizons.  I can't blame him for that.

Now, if there was evidence that he's blowing off rehab to concentrate on business, that's another thing entirely.  However, until I hear to the contrary, I'm going to assume that there's room for both things in his life.

I agree 100%

That being said Jermaine has been a major disappointment. If he's not healthy for the playoffs his signing will look awful in retrospect.

I really don't think he cares though, he's always seemed like the type who was in it for nothing but the money to me.

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »

Offline Dunn

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hey at least we didn't see him eating cereal. I understand the frustration but what you gonna do. At least keep in mind that he was a blocking machine when he played, so he show something. Besides what if this clothesline takes off, this may be his last year. Ever think of that?

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 11:49:16 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Considering the turmoil Antoine Walker put himself in financially, I appreciate JO actually thinking about life after basketball like this.

I dunno why I should assume that he doesn't have time to do that and rehab at the same time.

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
I don't see anyone being negative towards another poster in this thread. People have posted their opinions on it and there's bound to be some disagreements. That's the way it is. From what I've seen, I haven't seen anyone berate Dark on his opinion. I think his opinion on it is silly, but that's MY opinion.

Well calling someone's opinion 'silly' is not insulting?
I guess that's your opinion. And if I felt it was insulting, does that make my opinion silly too?

Argument is great. Saying the op thinks JO is his own personal servant is not a disagreement. It's a put down. (can you tell I love to argue?)

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 12:40:05 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
No big deal. Unless, of course, Jermaine decides to make all of the clothes by himself and by hand  ;)

Like others said, good thing that he is thinking of life after basketball. Do you think Toine (and many others) probably wishes he'd done something similar?

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's kind of like seeing Charlie Sheen over and over on tv, without any actual new episodes of Two and a Half Men.

I don't feel very strongly about the clothing line, but I see why people might find it ridiculous. 

This must be more legit that Ron Artest's rap career, right :-\

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 01:31:46 AM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
I don't see anyone being negative towards another poster in this thread. People have posted their opinions on it and there's bound to be some disagreements. That's the way it is. From what I've seen, I haven't seen anyone berate Dark on his opinion. I think his opinion on it is silly, but that's MY opinion.

I guess that's your opinion. And if I felt it was insulting, does that make my opinion silly too?

Argument is great. Saying the op thinks JO is his own personal servant is not a disagreement. It's a put down. (can you tell I love to argue?)

It's really not insulting. If he's insulted by me saying his opinion is silly then.. uh.. wow. Sorry, but this forum is REALLY soft when it comes to this kind of stuff. If I get banned for saying that then so be it. Sometimes arguments get heated and people go back and forth. It's the name of the game. There has been no ad hominem in this thread from what I've seen. Everyone has been on topic. Everything isn't all hunky-dory, folks.

God forbid a poster threw in a line that he thought summed up the OP's post. It was a throw away line. Don't take is so personally.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 05:37:14 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Yes
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 07:50:15 AM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I wasn't mad that someone else called my opinion silly, that wasn't much of a put down at all. What got to me was when the other poster said that I thought JO should be my own personal servant and do what I say... that is really messed up to say for obvious reasons.

I can understand debates and healthy arguments cause I have had them on here but the key word is healthy arguments. I have gone back and forth with many on here, lol mainly on Nate Robinson, and it was all good... cause, I think, they respected my opinion and I respected theirs.

I obviously don't think everyone will agree, that is usually the point to something like the celticsblog but after all it's a blog. If you get so mad at a post that you feel the need to personally put someone down then you're in the wrong place, yeah arguments get heated but it's a blog and people will post opinions that aren't yours so why put down?

We don't need people of that ilk to interject an opinion that is based on such disrespect toward any op, not just me. I do not believe that commenting that I think that Jermaine should basically be my slave is needed in any thread. I honestly didn't have much beef with the other things the guy said, just the last two lines.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I wasn't mad that someone else called my opinion silly, that wasn't much of a put down at all. What got to me was when the other poster said that I thought JO should be my own personal servant and do what I say... that is really messed up to say for obvious reasons.

I can understand debates and healthy arguments cause I have had them on here but the key word is healthy arguments. I have gone back and forth with many on here, lol mainly on Nate Robinson, and it was all good... cause, I think, they respected my opinion and I respected theirs.

I obviously don't think everyone will agree, that is usually the point to something like the celticsblog but after all it's a blog. If you get so mad at a post that you feel the need to personally put someone down then you're in the wrong place, yeah arguments get heated but it's a blog and people will post opinions that aren't yours so why put down?

We don't need people of that ilk to interject an opinion that is based on such disrespect toward any op, not just me. I do not believe that commenting that I think that Jermaine should basically be my slave is needed in any thread. I honestly didn't have much beef with the other things the guy said, just the last two lines.

TP.

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 07:57:47 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
To OP i think you're taking the whole 'slave' thing too personally.
I think you should expect pretty negative reactions when you try and connect a celtics player who is trying to do something positive in his down time with being lazy or insinuating that he isn't doing any rehab.
It's pretty much negative assumption on your behalf which you have no proof or evidence of. I know you're entitled to your opinion but you basically stated because he is developing a clothing line and eating pebbles that he is a drain on our team and he should've been bought out- seems like you're brining in personal dislike for Jermaine and trying to back it up with quite empty examples.
No hate here just trying to make you see it from the other side.
I guess as you said, at the end of the day you're allowed to have you own opinion.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.