Author Topic: Chris Forsberg (ESPN) C's should get Shaq  (Read 11334 times)

Re: Chris Forsberg (ESPN) C's should get Shaq
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Isn’t Dampier still out there?

He hasn't been cut by Charlotte yet -- they have dreams of getting Chris Paul for him (yeah right... with what else, DJ Augustin?).

Once cut -- he would have been headed for Denver had they not spent so much on Al Harrington. Now i think he's strongly in play for the Cs.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
My initial reaction was that we absolutely cannot use Wallace's deal to nab another big man.  However, if we do sign and trade for Shaq or if Wallace comes back, we could potentially explore trading Baby or Perk.  Both have reasonable deals and both are expiring next summer.  While that's not ideal, it would likely be the only way to nab a respectable wing if Wallace's deal goes off the table. 

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 04:25:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Isn’t Dampier still out there?

He hasn't been cut by Charlotte yet -- they have dreams of getting Chris Paul for him (yeah right... with what else, DJ Augustin?).

Once cut -- he would have been headed for Denver had they not spent so much on Al Harrington. Now i think he's strongly in play for the Cs.
When they void his contract he'll have to sign a new contract and will probably be signed to a one year deal. This means that he'll be in a contract year. Which is great news, hey he might even actually try this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 04:27:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My initial reaction was that we absolutely cannot use Wallace's deal to nab another big man.  However, if we do sign and trade for Shaq or if Wallace comes back, we could potentially explore trading Baby or Perk.  Both have reasonable deals and both are expiring next summer.  While that's not ideal, it would likely be the only way to nab a respectable wing if Wallace's deal goes off the table. 

I suppose in the short term we could try to grab one of Cleveland's excess wings in the deal, as well. 

Between Sheed, LaFayette, and Gaffney, we can take back about $9.9 million in salary.

Signing Shaq for $6 million leaves $3.9 million for one of Cleveland's wings.  That's enough for J. Moon or A. Parker.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've been down with the Shaq idea from day 1... or as soon as Perkins went down with an injury and Sheed was leaning towards retirement.

Shaq can still give a very solid 20 MPG. Thats all we need.

Take back Moon and/or Parker as well, and we are all systems go.

Flip Cleveland the pupu platter (non guaranteed contracts, cash, first round pick). The Cavs save money and get a pick for parts they don't need.
How about Earl Barron & Wilson Chandler for Sheeds contract? NY is shopping Chandler. He'd be a good backup to Pierce & Barron solves our big man need.

shopping him doesn't mean they want to give him away for nothing.
They are shopping him under the pretext that whoever gets him has to take Eddie Curry off their hands. Tough pill to swallow there.

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I really hate this idea. The idea of going into the post season hoping KG AND Jermaine O'Neal AND Shaq are all healthy and ready to compete at a high level scares the daylights out of me.

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I've been down with the Shaq idea from day 1... or as soon as Perkins went down with an injury and Sheed was leaning towards retirement.

Shaq can still give a very solid 20 MPG. Thats all we need.

Take back Moon and/or Parker as well, and we are all systems go.

Flip Cleveland the pupu platter (non guaranteed contracts, cash, first round pick). The Cavs save money and get a pick for parts they don't need.
How about Earl Barron & Wilson Chandler for Sheeds contract? NY is shopping Chandler. He'd be a good backup to Pierce & Barron solves our big man need.

shopping him doesn't mean they want to give him away for nothing.
They are shopping him under the pretext that whoever gets him has to take Eddie Curry off their hands. Tough pill to swallow there.

I don't even know if its that.  I think they are trying to use him as a piece to get a better player.  I don't think they care as much about getting rid of Curry's contract right now, they want to turn Curry's contract into another star, and Chandler is one of the few assets they have remaining, since they have traded so many of their picks.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I really hate this idea. The idea of going into the post season hoping KG AND Jermaine O'Neal AND Shaq are all healthy and ready to compete at a high level scares the daylights out of me.

You are right on there... Thats alot of old tired that need to be ready to run out of the gates.

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

You are right on there... Thats alot of old tired that need to be ready to run out of the gates.

I think if we added Shaq (and/or T-Mac) to this roster, Eddie Lacerte would run off to Bali under cover of darkness.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd rather the C's get a wing before Shaq..the big "if" is my hope that J.O. will remain healthy, which I'm believing that he will.

Celtics with J.O. and Shaq? That's a lot of clutter in the middle, yes, but we still need someone on the wings. Ray and Pierce can do it for a while, but our biggest need right now, IMO, is a wing.

Shaq - if we can get you (and a solid wing), I'm all for it.

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

True.  That's why I'd prefer them to just trade Wallace for a wing.  

I also wouldn't hate Roy's idea.  While I still think I'd prefer Howard over Parker, Parker is a good shooter who could definitely fill it up off the bench.  With one of the O'Neals on the bench, plus Nate, Bradley, Parker, and BBD, the days of struggling to put the ball in the basket when the starters are on the bench would be over.  

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'm kind of liking the idea of doing a S&T for Shaq and Moon or Parker.  Shaq's close to done, we know that.  He's probably going to play one more season, then we'll have the lockout, and he'll be retired.  So, two-year deal at something just above the MLE, should be about what he's looking for.

Plenty of times in the finals when the C's offense bogged down in the halfcourt.  Times like that, it'd be real nice to call on the big fellow down low.  Even at his age, who on Miami is going to be able to slow down Shaq?  

Having Shaq would require some adjustments to how the team plays D.  Have to adjust to his not being able to move, not being able to switch.  But, I trust in Doc and Lawrence Frank to figure out a way to have him be effective on the defensive end.  You still aren't wanting to drive on him, he'll pick up fouls but you're going to FEEL them.

In the end...  I can't see him in Miami, he doesn't want to play for the minimum and I don't blame him.  He wants to win, he wants to beat Kobe and I have to believe that he'd love to help stop the Miami crew at least once.  He's shown that he can play a more limited role.  We wouldn't need him for more than 20 MPG.    Miami's weakness is going to be in the middle, having Perk and Shaq and KG and Jermaine O'Neil and Big Game Davis...   forget about how we match up with Miami, how do they deal with that size?

IF you can do this as a S&T and get a backup wing, I don't see many other possible trades with a better possible upside.  Moon or Parker to absorb some of Pierce and Ray's minutes, and Shaq to solidify the 5 spot and to give us a legitimate low-post option in the halfcourt.  

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
And while I don't love the Shaq/Parker idea, because it's not the upgrade I'd like at the 2/3; it does have some merits.  We could probably get by with Parker and Bradley or Parker and a minimum guy backing up Pierce and Allen if we had Shaq, Nate, and BBD playing next to them.  All three of those guys can put the ball in the basket, so we wouldn't necessarily need those two to be the big time scorer off the bench that we'd hope a guy like Howard would be. 

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
This might work, Dan Gilbert might throw us a bone to get back at Lebron.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
My main problem with a sign and trade for Shaq is that if he ends up not fitting in well, whether that be because of his personality and/or effect in the clubhouse or whether that be because he is a bad fit on the court, the sign and trade means we are acquiescing to his demands for more than $4 million a year for 2 years. If he doesn't fit in, everyone will know why and in trying to get rid of him we would get 10 cents on the dollar for his worth.

If we sign him to a veteran's minimum contract, which BTW is league subsidized so we would only be responsible for about half of his salary(or thereabouts), if he doesn't work out, cut him. The most you are going to have to spend on him is his yearly subsidized salary and the luxury tax money, which is minor.