Author Topic: Sheed vs SWilliams: I feel safer with SWilliams on the floor  (Read 11904 times)

Re: Sheed vs SWilliams: I feel safer with SWilliams on the floor
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Safer in terms of what?

Wallace is the better defender.

Wallace is the better post threat.

Heck, Wallace is the better guy to pull the other defender out of the paint.

And the one thing Williams does better, rebound, doesn't improve the team rebounding when he is out there.  In fact, defensive rebounding drops by 5% when he is on the court. 

He is the perverbial 3rd QB in the NFL.  Never plays but the fans think he is a star.

I don't believe anyone is claiming that Shelden is a star.

And while Sheed is certainly a better offensive player, I don't quite get this firm conviction that 2010 Sheed is a better defender.

Mike

Seeing what Wallace can do to a player like Howard this season is all I need to see.  Williams has never shown that against even lesser players.

Wallace may be a step slow on rotations, but at least he seems to know the rotations.

I think you're only remembering the first two Bos-Orl games where the C's shut Howard down and forgetting the last two where Howard did much better offensively.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »

Offline DrGlen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
He needs to play well for us to pump him up. I have a feeling people know what he is and that's why he couldn't get the money he wanted in the first place.

BBD is fat and lazy. But he loves the spotlight, and tries to get up for big games. So he will be given spot minutes in the playoffs to remind other teams what he can do.

Then POOF. Danny unloads him.  ;D

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think there is no valid argument about replacing Sheed's playing time with Shelden, Sheed is far too superior. The argument should be replacing Davis' time with Shelden.

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Safer in terms of what?

And the one thing Williams does better, rebound, doesn't improve the team rebounding when he is out there.  In fact, defensive rebounding drops by 5% when he is on the court. 

He is the perverbial 3rd QB in the NFL.  Never plays but the fans think he is a star.

And while Sheed is certainly a better offensive player, I don't quite get this firm conviction that 2010 Sheed is a better defender.

Mike

Seeing what Wallace can do to a player like Howard this season is all I need to see.  Williams has never shown that against even lesser players.

Wallace may be a step slow on rotations, but at least he seems to know the rotations.

I think you're only remembering the first two Bos-Orl games where the C's shut Howard down and forgetting the last two where Howard did much better offensively.

Mike

Can you remember one instance when Williams had that type of effect?  

In his entire career?

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Safer in terms of what?

Mike

Mike

In his entire career?

He was a beast playing in front of the Cameron Crazies.

How do you think he got the nickname The Landlord?

Speaking of which, how funny is it when guys get nicknames early in their career only to either bust or flame out quickly. Highly entertaining. Can you think of any more?

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
Safer in terms of what?

Mike

Mike

In his entire career?

A.  I suspect that Perk had a lot more to do with shutting down Howard than Sheed.

B.  Howard isn't the only big the Cs are going to have to defend in the playoffs.  For instance, I think I'd rather see Shelden matched up defensively against Sideshow Bob than Sheed.

C.  Shelden stopped getting regular minutes on the court after the December 20th game against Minnesota.  At that point, the Cs were 20 and 5.  They've gone 18 and 16 since Shelden was exiled to the bench.  At the very least that argues for Shelden getting more playing time than he has.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
MBunge, I have to disagree.  As well as Perkins plays Howard, I really felt that Rasheed played him even better.  To top it off, Sheed seemed to get in less foul trouble while guarding Howard than Perk did.

sheed vs sheldon isn't really an argument, even during boring regular season games.  Sheldon and Davis should be splitting time, depending on matchups. 

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
MBunge, I have to disagree.  As well as Perkins plays Howard, I really felt that Rasheed played him even better.  To top it off, Sheed seemed to get in less foul trouble while guarding Howard than Perk did.

sheed vs sheldon isn't really an argument, even during boring regular season games.  Sheldon and Davis should be splitting time, depending on matchups

Too bad one of these guys is a big child and probably wouldn't respond well to a platoon.

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

sheed vs sheldon isn't really an argument, even during boring regular season games.  Sheldon and Davis should be splitting time, depending on matchups. 
This would make sense.  I like Sheldon but 'sheed the enigma he is can do more than any big we have except kg.  I think everyone ever associated w/ sheed has felt the same frustration we all feel now.  Guy is a game changer but doesn't seem to bring much more than his C game most nights.  I do think he gets a bit more flak than deserved here, i feel he does play good d but agree with all on jacking the 3's.  Of course I'd rather have him shooting those than Davis thinking he's Elvin Hayes!

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

MBunge
"C.  Shelden stopped getting regular minutes on the court after the December 20th game against Minnesota.  At that point, the Cs were 20 and 5.  They've gone 18 and 16 since Shelden was exiled to the bench.  At the very least that argues for Shelden getting more playing time than he has."

This is what I'm talking about. I in no way think you could make an argument about him vs Sheed. But vs Baby..........
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Sheed is a better defender
Sheed is a better rebounder
Sheed is a better interior scorer
Sheed has better hands
Sheed is a better outside shooter
Sheed is a better passer
Sheed is a better FT shooter
Willams gets less Techs although he did get one last night..

Also in regards to the Sheed fouling instead of challenging some of that is be design.  Check the time in the period and the player he's fouling before assuming he's taking the easy way out.
This is the old Trent Dilfer vs Brett Farve thing. Give me Dilfer. 

Sheed may actually be the better outside shooter. But that's sort of a problem, isn't it?

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
This is what I'm talking about. I in no way think you could make an argument about him vs Sheed. But vs Baby..........

Why should only Baby grab some bench if he's playing like crap?  People seem to be overlooking that in quite a few of the Celtics inexplicable losses this season, Sheed's awful play has been a moderate-to-big factor in those defeats.

I'm not saying Shelden is better than Sheed.  I'm saying that if Sheed OR Baby are playing poorly, Shelden's not going to lose the darn game if you put out there for 5 to 8 minutes a half.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Why should only Baby grab some bench if he's playing like crap?  People seem to be overlooking that in quite a few of the Celtics inexplicable losses this season, Sheed's awful play has been a moderate-to-big factor in those defeats.

I'm not saying Shelden is better than Sheed.  I'm saying that if Sheed OR Baby are playing poorly, Shelden's not going to lose the darn game if you put out there for 5 to 8 minutes a half.

Mike
Oh I've got not problem with putting Sheed at the end of the bench when he's stinking it up. But I know it will never happen so I won't even bother talking about it.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Sheed is a better rebounder

Sheed is a better outside shooter

First of all I think Williams should get some of Baby's minutes not Sheeds. We got Sheed so even if I can't stand him we should use him.

But I don't know about Sheed being a better rebounder at this point and time. Perhaps years ago but not anymore. That would take effort.

Outside shooter? He's better because Williams knows he can't do that. Sheed hasn't figured out that he can't do it either and still shoots them.

Williams is only a slightly better rebounder than Davis and everything else without question goes to Davis.  Especially DEFENSE.  So no IMO he's not better than Sheed at rebounding and although he did make that great turn around jumper (lol) last night he's not in Sheed's class in outside shooting.  Sheed is easy target but, if he doesn't play well in the playoffs we have no shot.  Williams on the other end could be out for the rest of the year and it wouldn't make a blip on the radar of the NBA.
Well I don't think Williams should replace Sheed.

I don't agree with you on Baby. I've seen NOTHING from him as of late. He can take a charge but that's about it. Probably has more to do with his gravitational pull bringing players into him rather then skill. I think last years playoff run has got into his head and he thinks he's more that just a roll player. He isn't and I think a little competition for his minutes could do him some good. Bring him back down to earth.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....TP.
Davis doesn't have to jump or step into a charge. He's already glued to the ground with his lack of a vertical jump, so it's just a matter of his rolls being in the circle or not.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I'll take Sheed over Sheldon any day. Better defense, offense, game IQ.

Glen Davis on the other hand..... I'm loosing faith over the course of this season. He's becoming a black hole / turnover machine on offense, and his lack of height will always be a defensive issue.

I liked him better when he was hustling for loose balls, getting garbage points, and WIDE OPEN jump shots. Hopefully he'll find his true game again.

That was his game 2 days ago when he had a key charge (which by the way he leads the team with only playing 29 games)and scored double digits.  Charges are stat not really not recognized on celticsblog
I'll take rebonds and knowing your roll more then a few charges. Basically I can't stand Baby anymore. He's weak in the head and now he's weak on the floor.  But Doc likes him more so this argument is useless.

Like I mentioned I like Davis on this team for this exact reason.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10