Author Topic: Tony Allen will miss the beginning of the regular season...  (Read 11623 times)

Re: Tony Allen will miss the beginning of the regular season...
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 01:28:14 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
The biggest lead the Celtics ever had on the Lakers was 43 points.   That came after a reverse alley oop by none other than Tony Allen.  The most important 2:14 for the Celtics in the last 23 years came in Game 4 in Los Angeles when the Celtics went on a 10-0 run late in the 3rd.   The only 2:14 that a certain player played all game.  That player:Tony Allen.

That is why I like Tony Allen. Tony Allen was on the court as time expired for a 17th and counting title.  He has a championships ring and is in uniform for the picture on the back of my 2007-08 Champs DVD, along with all the greats, Doc, KG, Paul & Ray, Havlicek and right next to the legend himself Bill Russell. 

Nobody can say that Tony Allen cost us a championship or two.  I can understand if you want a better player to take his place, that makes sense.  Going out of your way to dislike the guy? Out of all the championship teams I've rooted for and see win there isn't one guy on those teams that I dislike. 

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 02:02:42 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
The biggest lead the Celtics ever had on the Lakers was 43 points.   That came after a reverse alley oop by none other than Tony Allen.  The most important 2:14 for the Celtics in the last 23 years came in Game 4 in Los Angeles when the Celtics went on a 10-0 run late in the 3rd.   The only 2:14 that a certain player played all game.  That player:Tony Allen.

That is why I like Tony Allen. Tony Allen was on the court as time expired for a 17th and counting title.  He has a championships ring and is in uniform for the picture on the back of my 2007-08 Champs DVD, along with all the greats, Doc, KG, Paul & Ray, Havlicek and right next to the legend himself Bill Russell. 

Nobody can say that Tony Allen cost us a championship or two.  I can understand if you want a better player to take his place, that makes sense.  Going out of your way to dislike the guy? Out of all the championship teams I've rooted for and see win there isn't one guy on those teams that I dislike. 

I don't think anyone hates Tony Allen to the point where we wish he was never a Celtic. The main problem simply is that he never became the backup wing / new-Posey / pre-injury TA that we all assumed, and holding him on for this much longer is tough.

Not to mention his showing in the Chicago series was less than inspiring.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I don't think anyone hates Tony Allen to the point where we wish he was never a Celtic. The main problem simply is that he never became the backup wing / new-Posey / pre-injury TA that we all assumed, and holding him on for this much longer is tough.

Yeah ... well said, GKC (TP) ... I have been very supportive of Tony over the last couple of years, (to the point of taking some major crap for it), as I feel, regardless of the problems in his private life, that he's basically a well-meaning kid with an amazing amount of talent and physical ability. But it's just gotten to the point of enough being enough, and the prospects of what he can contribute to this team are poor at best. I still want the best for him and wish him well, but he has become a detriment to this team, and it's time for him to move on.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 03:29:08 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I was all in favor of resigning TA, I thought that reverse dunk against the Lakers would really spark something in his head to get him to where he could have been in 2006-2007.

Needless to say, I've been let down by the guy hardcore.. I know I talk a lot of crap about him now but I don't ever root against him. I'd love nothing more than to see Tony succeed and become a good player, I just don't think it's happening in Boston. Thus, I hope we're all able to move on soon enough.

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I don't think the player should be held accountable if the fan's expectations were too high.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I don't think the player should be held accountable if the fan's expectations were too high.

Isn't it possible we just don't want him on the team because he isn't useful?

I don't hate tony allen, i hope he somehow turns it around and has a great career, but he is worthless to a contending team as currently constituted.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

I don't hate tony allen, i hope he somehow turns it around and has a great career, but he is worthless to a contending team as currently constituted.
There's still a chance he might become useful.  I'd say he has as much of a chance as Giddens does.  They're on the end of the roster anyways, so it's not like it matters anyway.  I just don't see why Tony, as a 15th man, receives so much more hate than Giddens, just because he's been in the league longer.  If we end up trading him for someone useful then great.  But until then there's no reason to talk about this guy like he's a joke.

Probably 10% of guys in the NBA are exactly as useless as Tony Allen, yet he manages to receive the most trash talk on this site.  Even though this is CelticsBlog and he's a Celtic.
Philly:

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%

There's still a chance he might become useful.  I'd say he has as much of a chance as Giddens does.  They're on the end of the roster anyways, so it's not like it matters anyway.  I just don't see why Tony, as a 15th man, receives so much more hate than Giddens, just because he's been in the league longer.  If we end up trading him for someone useful then great.  But until then there's no reason to talk about this guy like he's a joke.

Probably 10% of guys in the NBA are exactly as useless as Tony Allen, yet he manages to receive the most trash talk on this site.  Even though this is CelticsBlog and he's a Celtic.

Isn't that the point? Our complaints stem especially due to the fact that he's a Celtic. If there's a really bad player being paid above the LLE who had high expectations but is now an end of the rotation player on ANOTHER team, they'd be the one complaining.

I also don't think our expectations were too high. Tony had a great half a season, ruined by a needless showboat attempt. He hasn't been the same.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2009, 04:01:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Isn't that the point? Our complaints stem especially due to the fact that he's a Celtic. If there's a really bad player being paid above the LLE who had high expectations but is now an end of the rotation player on ANOTHER team, they'd be the one complaining.

I also don't think our expectations were too high. Tony had a great half a season, ruined by a needless showboat attempt. He hasn't been the same.
Wishing he was better than he is is one thing.

A lot of people take it a step further and put him down every chance they get.
Philly:

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Wishing he was better than he is is one thing.

A lot of people take it a step further and put him down every chance they get.

That's your opinion, and i don't think it's on point.

He's a bad player right now. people joke and kid about bad players. It doesn't mean they spend all day hating them and wishing bad things will happen to them. It just means they dont like what he brings to the team.

I am not contractually obligated to pretend players are better than they are because they have CELTICS across their chest.

I root for them, hope they do better, and wish them all the best. But when one is consistently bad, then yes, I am going to make fun of them. IT's not done in a mean spirited way.

I made light of Patty O'blount, sam I am, pruitt, mikki, blout, GG and countless other players that didn't pan out.

Why does the fact that i choose to rib tony allen make me a bad person? He's a bad basketball player, and i don't think he's useful.

So yes, i will joke about him, call him the human turnover machine, and hope he gets replaced by someone better. But that doesn't mean i don't want him to do well when he's on the floor.

Nothing would make me happier than tony allen suddenly "getting it" at the age of 27 and becoming a light's out bench player.

But as long as one of the top defenders to play against him is his own right foot in traffic, then yes, i will joke about him.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:03:47 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
TA is not a bad player right now, he's a non-player.

The real question is whether or not he will miss the end of the regular season.  I expect the Celtics to hold him out, then to showcase him, and finally to deal him to a team in the WC, probably for a 2nd rounder (to a team with a trade exception).

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
YAY!
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
good....TA's game is :

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
No it isn't.  No one knows where Tony's game is, and we won't know until he is healthy.

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

To be fair in retrospect it appears he was playing on a wounded ankle in that Chicago series since he had surgery right after the season ended.   Also we don't know for sure how much he was over the thumb injury (I believe he had thumb surgery the second half of the year).

I'm not trying to defend TA too much as I understand his deficiences but jeez look at the timeline of events for him since the major knee surgery.   Most people said and agreed that it takes at least a full year to a 1 and 1/2 to recover so the championship year was basically a wash for him especially for a guy that relies so much on athleticism. Then maybe having 1 healthy month last season which he was somewhat effective and useful in some spots.  

So basically for the last 2 and 1/2 seasons he has been healthy for maybe 1 month.  I understand he is a poor shooter and turnover prone but pointing to stats over this time isn't entirely fair since if you take away some of his athletic ability it takes away much of his game.

So I while I am pessimistic he can now stay healthy for an entire year I'm really hesitant to bash him for it.  Injuries can happen to anyone and it's just a real unfortunate situation for him.  

His teammates seem to like him and he roots for his teammates as much as anyone on the bench.  While I hope for an upgrade by midseason while he is here I'll continue to root for him just like any other Celtic.