Author Topic: Tony Allen will miss the beginning of the regular season...  (Read 11653 times)

Re: Tony Allen will miss the beginning of the regular season...
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Does this make room for Hudson??

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Tony is a contract to put into a deal, that is all he is worth.  We need him healthy for that (i think)
He was not the best player off bench last year.  His time on team is done, I'd rather have Giddens playing nearly the same way, at least he's a little taller and long and maybe maybe can learn ?
tony has no spot at sg, daniels is far better in swing role

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 05:05:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Tony is criticized by Celtics fans because he's the least cerebral player on the team, and one of the very worst in the entire NBA.
This is a huge overstatement. As a matter of fact, on a weaker team, or a team that doesn't have a swingman go-to guy, he could have easily been a solid starter.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Tony is criticized by Celtics fans because he's the least cerebral player on the team, and one of the very worst in the entire NBA.
This is a huge overstatement. As a matter of fact, on a weaker team, or a team that doesn't have a swingman go-to guy, he could have easily been a solid starter.

I certainly don't see Tony as a starting caliber player -- I can't think of a starting swingman in the NBA worse than him.  If other teams in the NBA saw him as a starter, he wouldn't be making $2.5 million, and he'd actually have some trade value as something other than an expiring contract.

That being said, the question is how cerebral he is, and I stand by my statement.  No player on this team is as mistake prone as Tony Allen; he's just not a very smart or instinctual player.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I certainly don't see Tony as a starting caliber player -- I can't think of a starting swingman in the NBA worse than him.  If other teams in the NBA saw him as a starter, he wouldn't be making $2.5 million, and he'd actually have some trade value as something other than an expiring contract.

That being said, the question is how cerebral he is, and I stand by my statement.  No player on this team is as mistake prone as Tony Allen; he's just not a very smart or instinctual player.

In addition, I think it is worth mentioning that Tony hasnt stayed healthy long enough in the past 3 years to be a starter regardless of what team he is on. He has zero value if he cant get on the court. That alone makes the whole 'value vs perception' argument kinda pointless doenst it?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I wish the guy good health and all, but let me be the first to give a sarcastic  :'( .

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 05:51:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

No, in terms of roster space.  Even though Tony is injured, he still have a place on the 15 man roster. 

It might free up a space for Hudson on the 12 man active roster, though.  Tony and Walker will be inactive, meaning the team will decide between Williams, Giddens, and Hudson as the last inactive player.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 05:56:12 PM »

Offline HomeRunBaker

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13

There are a few starting SG's in this league that would have Tony Allen's role on this team......and vice versa if he were in their shoes.  For example, there is a good chance that Allen starts in Minnesota.....the Knicks starting SG was 0-17 for the pre-season last i checked.....Acie Law, the 6-3 PG, is starting at SF in Golden State.  

You are ignoring some teams who are throwing Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. on the wall at the position to see if it will stick and these players aren't any better at NBA basketball than Allen when healthy.  

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 06:04:10 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

No, in terms of roster space.  Even though Tony is injured, he still have a place on the 15 man roster. 

It might free up a space for Hudson on the 12 man active roster, though.  Tony and Walker will be inactive, meaning the team will decide between Williams, Giddens, and Hudson as the last inactive player.
I know this is wishful thinking but we probably have enough bigs on the active roster and really need the guard depth more IMO. I think it will be Williams or even possibly Scalabrine unless Hudson makes a trip down to the D league.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

There are a few starting SG's in this league that would have Tony Allen's role on this team......and vice versa if he were in their shoes.  For example, there is a good chance that Allen starts in Minnesota.....the Knicks starting SG was 0-17 for the pre-season last i checked.....Acie Law, the 6-3 PG, is starting at SF in Golden State.  

You are ignoring some teams who are throwing **** on the wall at the position to see if it will stick and these players aren't any better at NBA basketball than Allen when healthy.  

I still don't think there's a team Tony would start for.  In Golden State, we'll see if Law starts; I can't imagine that he'll be playing over Maggette, Jackson, Azubuike, Curry, and Morrow.  The Twolves have left themselves very thin at the position, but I still think Wilkins, Ellington, or Pavlovic / Brewer would start over Tony.  Larry Hughes is better than Tony for the Knicks.

Here's the challenge for Tony supporters:  find a starting (or even rotation caliber) guard that 1) shot lower than Tony's .282 eFG% on jump shots; 2) averaged more than 3.1 turnovers per 36 minutes; and 3) had a negative assist-to-turnover ration (1.7 turnovers for every 1.4 assists.)

I don't care what Tony could have been six years ago.  The fact is, he hasn't improved at all in his career, and has arguably regressed.  I want no part of him on the Celts.

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 06:14:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'll tell you why I hate Tony...because I hate his game and always have. I am not enamored with shooting guards that can't shoot or properly handle the ball.

He is a poor outside shooter.
He is a turnover prone dribbler and passer.
He consistently drives to the basket head down and forces the issue with bad shots.
He consistently is prone to biting on the head fake.
Although a decent defender, he is prone to really bad, unintelligent fouls.
He plays the passing lanes defensively rather than his assignment when his man doesn't have the ball often missing switches and swings in the team defensive scheme because of this.
On a fast break, he just doesn't get positioning or who to get the ball to.
He is massively injury prone and hence, unavailable.

Those are the reasons for my Tony Allen distaste and I stand by them. If he happens to be a good guy helping the community, good for him, I think all people should be that way. I know I try to and I don't make $2.5 million per year. If he happens to be a bad guy due to the people he hangs with and associates with and because of violent legal problems, that's too bad but it doesn't change my opinion that Tony Allen is a bad NBA player who I wish Danny had never resigned because of his play.

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
I think this is a blessing in disguise. It will force Doc to give minutes to Giddens or Walker if he's back, and I'd prefer them to get comfortable in their minutes early, instead of last year when they were just playing right before the playoffs.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 10:45:06 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Sigh. He has to take off all the time he needs to recover. Looking back at the end of last season the premature returns from injuries really did a lot more harm than good.
I can't say I'm going to miss him but I do wish him a speedy recovery so we're not so thin at the wings. We need to have the end of bench guys healthy so the main rotation guys don't have to be out there in garbage time.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Geez ... I've been as patient and supportive of this kid as possible, but it's time to cut him loose ... sorry, TA, but you've now officially become a detriment to this team.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:44:47 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 12:28:03 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
By the way, I don't think Tony Allen has a role on the team anymore. HOWEVER, he can start for one team...

...because apparently Desmond Mason will have to start for the kings now after the Garcia injury.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel