Author Topic: Tony Allen will miss the beginning of the regular season...  (Read 11652 times)

Re: Tony Allen will miss the beginning of the regular season...
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:09 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Who will we complain about?

My guess is Marquis Daniels.  I think the bar has been set way too high for him, and he will be bashed when he fails to meet the expectations.

If Marquis gives us 6, 5, and 4 in any three categories i'll be siked

6pts 5ast 4reb
5pts 4ast 6reb
4pts 6ast 5reb

you get it...

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 12:53:56 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
He is not a thug . . .

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree.  A thug is as a thug does, and Tony does plenty of thuggish things.  There's no way I'm going to applaud anybody who lives their life like Tony Allen.  I mean, heck, he almost got into a fight with Marc Spears before a playoff game last year.  I don't see that as somebody who has altered his violent outlook all that much.

Call it judgmental -- it is -- but anybody who has been associated with as much violence as Tony Allen has is not somebody I'd want as a role model.

Also, of course, his off the court failings are just one reason I want Tony gone.  There's also his .282 eFG% on jumpers (horrific; I can't think of a shooting guard who shoots worse), his terrible foul rate (worst among our guards), and his negative assist-to-turnover ratio (how many guards can brag about that?)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 01:00:08 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 12:59:01 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Statement:
Tony Allen will miss the beginning of the regular season...

Response:
::meh::
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 01:05:05 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
He is not a thug . . .

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree.  A thug is as a thug does, and Tony does plenty of thuggish things.  There's no way I'm going to applaud anybody who lives their life like Tony Allen.  I mean, heck, he almost got into a fight with Marc Spears before a playoff game last year.  I don't see that as somebody who has altered his violent outlook all that much.

Call it judgmental -- it is -- but anybody who has been associated with as much violence as Tony Allen has is not somebody I'd want as a role model.

Guess I've just seen more of the good than the bad ... I've been a bit out of the "mainstream" for a while, so I'll defer to your greater knowledge of the subject. I still feel there's good in the guy, and I pray that he comes to terms with his problems, and that he receives more encouragement than disparagement. If he's truly as much of a thug as you say, then I would obviosuly not want him in green, (I'm not sure I would anyway), but I still pray he makes his life as special as the gifts he's been given ... it's always a possibility. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 01:08:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
You're a better man than me, Bahku. ;)  I absolutely admit that it's personal with me.  If he was a better player, I might be able to overlook his shortcomings, but since he's not very good, it's easy to fixate on the negative.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 01:13:06 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
At the very least, the better he's perceived, the more he'll be worth in a trade ... depending on who we'd get, I think that's a solution that would please us both. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 02:38:44 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The guy is a fighter, an amazing athlete, a really nice guy who donates much of his time and energies to the community.

I'm not sure that anybody who has been involved in a brawl in college, had another major fight in Chicago, and who received death threats during last year's playoffs can be described as a "nice guy".

Tony is criticized by Celtics fans because he's the least cerebral player on the team, and one of the very worst in the entire NBA.  He continually makes stupid decisions, which in turn hurt the team.  He's a shooting guard who is well below average in terms of both shooting and dribbling.  Despite being talented defensively, he's often found biting on pump fakes, and can rarely be counted on in end-of-game situations.

I'll be glad when Tony is gone.  I know all the talk about "supporting him because he's a Celtic", but I'll gladly root for whoever else is filling his uniform next year (or hopefully, later this season.)

This all depends on how you define "nice guy." Because, to me, Tony strikes me as a "happy go lucky" guy, who would probably take the shirt off his own back and give it to you. Whereas, Ray Allen, on the other hand, strikes me as a more conservative, less friendly personality. But no one here would dare say Ray Allen isn't a "great" guy.

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 02:44:15 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Tony canīt just stay healthy...same as he can't just keep the ball in his hands and not lose it ::)

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 06:15:18 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This is his 6th freaking year!  And the last time he was healthy was 6 years ago.  It's a pattern that probably will never change.  There is no more potential, he is what he is. It doesnt' seem worth it to keep this guy around Tim Wakefield style- let him give us what he has when he's healthy enough- because he's not even good when he's healthy.

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
TA spent an astounding 13 weeks off his feet this offseason as he recovered from ankle surgery to repair torn ligaments--ligaments most likely torn last December when he initially sprained his ankle. I can see why it's taken him a long while to get back up to speed--he's got to rebuild muscle in and around his leg, not to mention the recovery of the ankle.

Just to keep the record straight, TA was our best player off the bench at the beginning of the year last season, right up until he tore ankle ligaments in the first game of December.  His game went down hill from there, playing on one leg does that.  As always, when healthy, the dude is a good player.  Once he recovers, he'll be a very handy part of the bench, albeit in a lesser role than last season. 

As for haters in this thread--get over yourselves and get some perspective.  Considering where TA came from and the skills given him to pick himself out of that situation to get where he's gotten, he's done quite well for himself, better than probably 99% of people from similar backgrounds, and probably better than 99% of this board, relative everyone's differing starting points. 

Maybe someone can explain it to me, but I don't know how 'receiving death threats' all of a sudden became a black mark on one's character.  To me, that's called blaming the victim and it's despicable.  I mean, what exactly are these people saying...that he deserved those death threats?  There are a lot of legitimate basketball-related things to complain about, or find fault with, so I don't understand why any poster would stoop to the extent of laying blame on Tony for receiving death threats.  To me, that smacks of irrationality--and irrationality married to hatred is pretty much the definition of evil.  These people ought to check themselves.

To me, TA's got a heart of gold and he's participated in a ton of community events throughout his time with the Cs.  He's never had a single problem in the locker room with coaches or teammates, and he's always been a workout fanatic in the gym.  In short, he's done his job as a professional basketball player in terms of preparing himself for competition.  That said, his career has been soiled with a lot of bad breaks and injuries, most at no fault of his own. Even through all those bad breaks, he hasn't given up, and played almost an entire season with a torn ligament in his ankle, showing the extent to which he wants to reward Doc, Danny and the Cs for their continued belief and patience in him.  So far, it hasn't been meant to be.

If his career takes him to another team, I only hope it's somewhere where he can finally fulfill some of his unmet potential. 
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 07:57:42 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
his career has been soiled with a lot of bad breaks and injuries, most at no fault of his own.

Whether they were his fault or not......these are the things that will end his career. He is a professional athlete that is paid to perform. Nice guy or not, if he doesnt perform he is no longer needed. He is expendable. This is the nature of sports and business.

Fans like the ones on this board, are not truly hating Tony. They simply want to see him on the floor producing for the team. He is being paid a 2.5 million dollar contract and is not able to deliver the goods. No one cares anymore about how tough his life was before the NBA. That was a nice background story 5-6 years ago. He needs to produce now or be terminated.

I promise you that if Tony comes back and is the teams' 'best bench player' again he will be compensated and appreciated. Until then he will be maligned because he is an oft injured player that is no longer a desirable asset.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Try not to owe money to gangsters, and maybe you don't get so many death threats, hmm?

TA was never our *best* bench player last year.  They tried to put him into that Posey role, and it was clear pretty [dang] soon that it wasn't going to work.  Leon and Eddie were more important off the bench early last season.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:23:30 AM by the_Bird »

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i am hoping he misses all of the season

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i am hoping he misses all of the season
that's harsh and bad thing to say...I wouldn't wish that to Kobe to happen.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 11:35:51 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I have a signed 8x10 from when we drafted TA, Dwest and Big Al - one is left, and it's not the one I want =(
When you love life, life loves you right back