Poll

Would you still have pulled the trigger on a Love trade last summer knowing what you know now?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Losing out on Kevin Love last summer a blessing?  (Read 11041 times)

Re: Losing out on Kevin Love last summer a blessing?
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

and, more importantly, He doesn't approach the game with the seriousness I want from a star Celtic. I want the KG, Smart, Pierce intensity. I don't want the Lebron/Love-esq lackadaisical Im-amazing-and-I-dont-need-to-try bull****.

Really funny you put LeBron in that category with what he has now done in his career.  This man has put the team on his back to championships.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2015, 12:03:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

and, more importantly, He doesn't approach the game with the seriousness I want from a star Celtic. I want the KG, Smart, Pierce intensity. I don't want the Lebron/Love-esq lackadaisical Im-amazing-and-I-dont-need-to-try bull****.

Really funny you put LeBron in that category with what he has now done in his career.  This man has put the team on his back to championships.

Agree. Lebron made Mike Brown COY. If that isn't enough to bolster his huge resume, then I don't know what can.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2015, 12:38:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm probably in the minority, but

I didn't like Love last summer, and I hope we don't go after him this summer. He is offensively polished, but he doesn't play the defense I want. (minor critique)

I want my Celtic stars to eat, sleep, breathe, and bleed basketball and competition. I want the killer instinct. I want the anger. I want the fire.

and Love doesn't have that and never will.

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

Lebron has the ability to get down to business and focus. Think Game 6 Lebron vs the Celtics in 2012. He just got the look in his eye and he could not be stopped. As much as I hated seeing the Celtics lose that game, I was in total awe of Lebron. If that's the player who comes to play every game, I would love to have him on our team.

But it isn't. Lebron doesn't get up for normal games. He relies on superior talent, athleticism, and IQ to get it done, and he has all those in droves, but he is not a gritty effort player most of the time. Such rolling around on the floor scraping for balls is beneath him. This mentality towards the game frustrates the crap out of me.

I feel like Love is cut from the same cloth, with less talent, athleticism, and BB IQ. He is undoubtedly talented, athletic, and smart, but I'll take a pass on Love and find a superstar who likes to get his hands dirty somewhere else.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

But it isn't. Lebron doesn't get up for normal games.

Really man?  Did you watch him play us?  Do you watch Cavs games?  He's right in the MVP race and you think he isn't trying?

I'd hate to see him if he's trying I guess because he's already the best player in the league in the regular season and playoffs.

Lumping him in with Love who has done nothing in the Playoffs is pretty silly.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:28:42 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Agree. Lebron made Mike Brown COY. If that isn't enough to bolster his huge resume, then I don't know what can.

I always thought the LeBron hate was unfair before he went to MIA.  Mike Brown and the talent level of his teams outside of him.

I feel like at this point if you're still keeping it up you're just being willfully ignorant.

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel

Yeah. You're right. It's Love that I have the problem with. I would praise Danny if he somehow managed to get Lebron on the Celtics. Besides--this thread is about Love, not LbJ
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Yeah. You're right. It's Love that I have the problem with. I would praise Danny if he somehow managed to get Lebron on the Celtics. Besides--this thread is about Love, not LbJ

You're right but I just think lets be accurate with a comparison.

Love I think is not lackadasical, I think he isn't willing to sacrifice his offense.  So he doesn't play as hard when he doesn't get the ball.  And I don't like that either but if we had him he'd get the ball and I think would play harder.  Not that I love that but something to consider.  He could be putting up better numbers and be used more here than in Cleveland.

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Puns of steel

You're right but I just think lets be accurate with a comparison.

Love I think is not lackadasical, I think he isn't willing to sacrifice his offense.  So he doesn't play as hard when he doesn't get the ball.  And I don't like that either but if we had him he'd get the ball and I think would play harder.  Not that I love that but something to consider.  He could be putting up better numbers and be used more here than in Cleveland.

Yeah, but that attitude is contagious. Imagine how that might affect our young players. Imagine Brad Stevens (who wont settle for that BS) trying to sort Love out in the locker room.

I don't trust Love after his media fiasco in Minnesota. Can you imagine the crapstorm that would happen if Love made his dissatisfaction with Stevens public? If I'm Marcus Smart or James Young, how am I supposed to feel about someone who phones it in every time he doesn't have the ball and yet gets rewarded with the highest usage rate on the team.

Love is the anti-Bass. 
Pro:

Anti:

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2015, 08:47:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I feel like at this point if you're still keeping it up you're just being willfully ignorant.
  You can hate the guy and still think he is good.   I have always thought he was productive but a tad weak between the ears.   It comes out occasionally like his choke against Houston at the line recently.   He still scored but he really is not a take things over all the time never lose kind of guy.   It does not kill him to lose like it did Bird or Jordan.   He walks the locker room not even looking peeved.

I am glad we lost out of Love.  He was a big fish in a small pond at MIN, but he is a small fish in a big pond in CLE.    I think he will go to LA and Rondo will as well to play with Kobe.

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't see why losing out on a star, nay, a top 15 player in the NBA is a blessing.

Granted, we're doing pretty well without him, but it still different than having a legitimate star in his prime. I mean, what we are doing right now without a star, imagine what we can if we had Kevin Love as a legitimate offensive threat?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace