Author Topic: We really should fire Danny Ainge  (Read 17763 times)

We really should fire Danny Ainge
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
I know I sound crazy. Ainge won a championship in 08, he fleeced Brooklyn and makes good trades. The problem is he gets these pieces that don't fit together. Ainge can't pick a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. direction to go. Are we competing or rebuilding? I know we're supposed to be competing but the team is filled with inconsistent players. Our bench has one consistent player in Wanamaker. No one has been consistently knocking down threes. We have no rim protection. I'm tired of the inconsistency.  When he got the picks Ainge walked the line between building young talent and trying to win. In the NBA you cannot do both. This thinking has stunted the growth of Brown and Tatum. A GM needs have a direction. Ainge seems passive and just waiting for an uneven deal no matter if it supports a direction.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: We really should fire Danny Ainge
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:49:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Danny's misstep was going against his own plan and trading that last Brooklyn pick to Cleveland. The player he got ended up in Brooklyn for nothing but a missed season which means that Brooklyn by hook or crook got one of their picks back. Bummer!!

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I think DA is the best GM we had since Red

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
And replace him who? Which GM do you see is viable for this team?

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 05:56:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I agree somewhat..guy cant draft for sure..only hits has been Tatum, Perk, Brown, Rondo, Bradley, might miss someone else..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 05:59:15 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Firing ainge is a little overreacting and premature.

I’m a huge proponent of holding Danny responsible For his drafting after mid lottery spots however according to this article:
https://hoopshype.com/2019/11/22/boston-celtics-best-general-managers-nba-trade-grades/
He is the best in making trades and I can not disagree with that.

The good he does by making trades he negates by making draft choices.
So if we make the analogy that drafting is like long distance shooting and trading is like going to the rim and shooting free trows he should really try to only attack the rim and don’t shoot the ball. His drafting is horrible and his reluctance to trade his draft picks is partly to blame for the hodgepodge of roster we have had the last 3-4 years.
I think he should be forced by ownership to trade his picks in exchange for future picks or players that can help now and only make draft choices in the top half of the lottery if there is an obvious pick.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 06:01:16 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The fire Ainge threads make me want to puke.  He's done a fantastic job for our team.  Once Hayward returns, most of our current problems will be behind us.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 06:04:36 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I agree somewhat..guy cant draft for sure..only hits has been Tatum, Perk, Brown, Rondo, Bradley, might miss someone else..

You missed a lot ****.

When it comes to analyzing drafting, context is important. Also if you say a GM is a poor drafter, you need to have basis of comparison. And he needs to rank near the bottom for you to say they are poor drafters. Mentioning hits and misses is not enough.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 06:06:12 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
And replace him who? Which GM do you see is viable for this team?

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 06:07:41 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

You missed a lot ****.

When it comes to analyzing drafting, context is important. Also if you say a GM is a poor drafter, you need to have basis of comparison. And he needs to rank near the bottom for you to say they are poor drafters. Mentioning hits and misses is not enough.

Perhaps, he should have drafted Jackson and Fultz.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 06:09:06 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

You missed a lot ****.

I have started treads on his poor drafting after mid lottery and have backed them with numbers and charts I can dig them up for you when I have time

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

You missed a lot ****.

I know we discussed Ainges drafting a lot, but to me he's just sort of unremarkable in that regard. Like he has his fair share of misses, but Tatum was far from an obvious choice. Jaylen was far from an obvious choice, and he's picked some guys who have gone on to have decent to very good careers like Bradley, Rondo, E' Twuan Moore, Rozier, Glen Davis, Dwight Powell, ect.

Like overall not amazing (although depending on tatum/brown could improve a lot), but not terrible either. But that combined with winning almost every trade, attracting 3 max free agents to Boston, and finding guys like Theis, Wanamaker, Green oversees makes him a pretty good package. Like a pitcher with a PLUS fastball and changeup and an average curveball.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Ryan Gomes, Marcus Smart, E’twaun Moore, Kelly Olynyk, and Terry Rozier. And arguably Jared Sullinger.

All were solid players, even if Danny didn’t always hit on the best available player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 06:19:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Ainge turned a potential disaster, by not getting Anthony Davis last summer, into a golden opportunity.

Celts lost their two best players, Kyrie and Horford, to free-agency.
But look at the Celts now, they're looking like contenders.

If only Anthony Davis wanted to come to Boston, there would threads about how Ainge is a genius.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 06:20:11 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

You missed a lot ****.

I have started treads on his poor drafting after mid lottery and have backed them with numbers and charts I can dig them up for you when I have time

I bet you can, but it's not difficult to play with numbers to get desired results.  I have seen a lot draft analysis over the years that  shows Ainge is well above average and consistently so over two decades.