Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 59020 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #405 on: May 26, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Here’s to redemption in G7!

« Reply #406 on: May 26, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Weird how you started a Terry is a keeper thread after one good game, but didn't start/bump one about how he's a bum after game 5.

You understand the difference between game 5 and 6 right?  Terry is also making 2 million dollars this season

« Reply #407 on: May 26, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
These double teams by Cleveland have been interesting. Horford is such a good passer, the Celtics should be destroying the Cavaliers on this but Horford isn't reacting fast enough. He's not used ot be doubled this way. He has to make quicker decisions when he sees the double coming and everyone else has to be making better cuts (Jaylen is the only one really taking advantage and moving off the ball).
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #408 on: May 26, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
These double teams by Cleveland have been interesting. Horford is such a good passer, the Celtics should be destroying the Cavaliers on this but Horford isn't reacting fast enough. He's not used ot be doubled this way. He has to make quicker decisions when he sees the double coming and everyone else has to be making better cuts (Jaylen is the only one really taking advantage and moving off the ball).

Totally agree. Brad and Al have to figure out how to attack that double. With the shooters and cutters we have that should be doable! So frustrating to see Al get Jeff Green on the block and nothing comes of it.

« Reply #409 on: May 26, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Hes an all star on a $100+ million contract, so he better figure it out quickly. 

That was a horrible game by Al.  I'm a big fan, but that simply cant happen.  And it became so much worse with Rozier and Brown teeing off
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #410 on: May 26, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Hes an all star on a $100+ million contract, so he better figure it out quickly. 

That was a horrible game by Al.  I'm a big fan, but that simply cant happen.  And it became so much worse with Rozier and Brown teeing off

Yeah. Al had his worst game in a long while, at a bad time. But that’s on the whole team. Has to be someone cutting or spotting up. He has to keep composure, and they have to give him an opportunity.

« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Hasn't this thread become everything we are not supposed to have on the forum? Horford has a good game game any someone bumps this to rub it in people's faces that doubted his worth. He has a bad game and someone bumps it to tell the people that think he deserves his salary they were wrong/stupid. It's been going on for months? Is this what people want on the board? Probably should be locked at this point but I'm no mod

« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2018, 02:56:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hasn't this thread become everything we are not supposed to have on the forum? Horford has a good game game any someone bumps this to rub it in people's faces that doubted his worth. He has a bad game and someone bumps it to tell the people that think he deserves his salary they were wrong/stupid. It's been going on for months? Is this what people want on the board? Probably should be locked at this point but I'm no mod

The mod is the one bringing this thread back to life ... lol

after good home games... this thread pops up

after no show road playoff games (which has been many so far) ...  the "Average Al my butt folks" are nowhere to be found

The reality is, the Celts even getting this far....he has earned his salary.  But when you see players who make around the same Giannis, Lebron etc play well on either home/road games.... you want more from Big Al

I hope he has an excellent game 7 .... then have Donghus, Fafnir etc rub it in my face.  Just win, I don't care about anything else

« Reply #413 on: May 26, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm not understanding why the double teams are causing so many problems, especially for a guy who's such a good passer. He must've seen double teams before during his long career, right? You see a double team coming, you find the open man—because there's almost always an open man. Maybe his teammates weren't cutting to open spots like they should've been? I just don't think this should be the total brain scrambler it obviously was to Al.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I love Al and he brings a unique skill set to the Celtics, and he also gave us the credibility to sign GH and trade for KI.

But if he'd played anywhere near worth his salary, this series would already be over. He's shooting 38% since game 1.

« Reply #415 on: May 27, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Al has been very good in these playoffs. Even in games where the scoring is not there his defense and passing have been key. He does need to do better with the double teams, however. The Celts know that the Cavs are going to double Al, it should not be a surprise and they should look to exploit it. With Tatum, Brown, Rozier, and Morris around him, they should get good looks from the 3 point line when Al gets doubled.

« Reply #416 on: May 27, 2018, 09:30:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
At least if Horford tanks game 7 team can trade him and not catch heat.

« Reply #417 on: May 27, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I love Al and he brings a unique skill set to the Celtics, and he also gave us the credibility to sign GH and trade for KI.

But if he'd played anywhere near worth his salary, this series would already be over. He's shooting 38% since game 1.
You conveniently didn't mention his great defense, including stints on LeBron, his great passing skills and his leadership.

« Reply #418 on: May 27, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At least if Horford tanks game 7 team can trade him and not catch heat.

Why would we want to trade him?

He’s elite at defense, passing and floor spacing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #419 on: May 27, 2018, 09:55:16 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think the Celts have approached Al's offense poorly in the last few games. They don't need him to be a big time scorer. They need him to pass, defend, and stretch the floor. They shouldn't ask him to post up one on one vs TT. That's a bad match up for the Celts. When TT is on the floor, Al should go out to the three point line to pull him out of the paint and open up driving lanes for Brown and Tatum.

The Celtic's offense is at its best when they search out mismatches. Get Al in the post against a smaller player, and when the double team comes, as it will, pass out to the shooters. Get Brown and Tatum on slower guys and attack the rim, if TT collapses to protect the paint, kick it out to Al for an open 3. They have been trying too hard to get Al going offensively, that plays right into the Cavs defensive strategy. Don't force feed Al in the post, attack the mismatches and I think the Cavs defense will fold.