Author Topic: What two teams are you buying and selling this season??  (Read 5229 times)

What two teams are you buying and selling this season??
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:22:51 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Just think less than 48 hours before the season begins.  :) It's been a long off season of talk about which teams are this or that. Whom are you buying or selling though?

Buying:

The Milwaukee Bucks

I'm all on the Coach Budenholzer hype train. Getting rid of Kidd was huge for that organization. Now Giannis will have some proper coaching and a system that will enhance his game. I would not be surprised to see them jump Philly this season.

Selling:

The Los Angeles Lakers

As good LeBron is I think some people are overstating how good the West is compared to what he's used to in the East. Plenty of predictions out there that think they can get as high as the 3rd seed. I just think they are overvaluing that roster somewhat and how it compares to teams with more experience/chemistry. I think they'll make the playoffs but are closer to a 6th seed than a 3rd seed.

Re: What two teams are you buying and selling this season??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Buying:

The Detroit Pistons

Before I get barked at, I’m not saying that they’re going to be a true contender or anything, but I think the coaching of Casey in combined with an acclimated Griffin, who they’ve been running the offence through a lot, an improving Drummond (specifically as a passer and FT shooter), and a guy ready to breakout in Stanley Johnson. I think they’ll be better than the Wizards.

Selling:

The Portland Trail Blazers
The Blazers had a really surprisingly strong season in ‘17-‘18, only to get swept by the Pels. They didn’t nearly improve enough to keep that spot, as I think OKC, Denver, New Orleans, LAL and San Antonio are all going to be better than them this season. I expect them to fall to the low seeds, if healthy.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:14:40 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Buy: Charlotte Hornets - makes the playoffs

Sell: New Orleans Pelicans - underachieves and misses the playoffs

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Buy: Cleveland.  I think they are going to have a much better team then most people think and am now fully expecting them to make the playoffs. 

Sell: Dallas.  I think they are going to be terrible.  Fighting for worst record bad. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Buy: Lakers. I hate to say it, but I think they will be pretty good.

Sell: Sixers. I still think Embiid is injury-prone. I also think Simmons will be essentially the same player and their offense will take a step back.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 10:57:08 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Buying:

The Milwaukee Bucks

I'm with you on the Bucks. Giannis looks terrifying. I think they went from the worst coach in the league to one of the better 10 coaches. I have nightmares about Giannis becoming a proficient off-the-dribble/spot up 3 point shooter. The only thing that keeps the Bucks beatable is that Giannis cant shoot. I'm buying up all the Bucks Stock. Ilyasova is going to be huge for this team.

Selling:

The Philidelphia 76ers

I am worried about the spacing. I am worried about how the pieces fit together. Ben Simmons cannot shoot and needs the ball to be effective on offense. His drive and kick offense also suffers when the paint is full of people. Joel Embiid is a stud and might be the best shooter on this team. Too bad that in order for him to be dominant he needs to be calling for the ball in the paint. I have 0 faith in Fultz, and they lost 2 floor-stretchers in free agency (Ilyasova + Belinelli). That's some UGLY spacing. They don't have the players they need to maximize their talent. I'm not saying they'll be bad, I'm saying that they'll be the 4th/5th seed in the East.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
tough call.

Buy:
torn between Cleveland --> will be much better than expected without Lebron
AND
San Antonio --> media has written them off with Kawhi but I think Pop will have them overachieving as a team.

Selling:
torn between Washington --> looks like a major implosion is inevitable
AND
Lakers --> Lebron's still the best player but the rest of that team is either unproven still or needs the ball to be effective (Rondo).  they'll either be much better than expected or much worse.  I'm hoping for much worse

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Buy:  Boogie with the Warriors

Sell:  Lebron's supporting cast

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Buy: Indiana as a top-4 seed in East and potential ECF team

Sell: MInnesota. They'll be a lotto team without Jimmy.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Buying:

The Milwaukee Bucks

I'm with you on the Bucks. Giannis looks terrifying. I think they went from the worst coach in the league to one of the better 10 coaches. I have nightmares about Giannis becoming a proficient off-the-dribble/spot up 3 point shooter. The only thing that keeps the Bucks beatable is that Giannis cant shoot. I'm buying up all the Bucks Stock. Ilyasova is going to be huge for this team.

Selling:

The Philidelphia 76ers

I am worried about the spacing. I am worried about how the pieces fit together. Ben Simmons cannot shoot and needs the ball to be effective on offense. His drive and kick offense also suffers when the paint is full of people. Joel Embiid is a stud and might be the best shooter on this team. Too bad that in order for him to be dominant he needs to be calling for the ball in the paint. I have 0 faith in Fultz, and they lost 2 floor-stretchers in free agency (Ilyasova + Belinelli). That's some UGLY spacing. They don't have the players they need to maximize their talent. I'm not saying they'll be bad, I'm saying that they'll be the 4th/5th seed in the East.
You think Embiid might be the best shooter on a team that has JJ Redick.  Really?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Buying:
Washington Wizards. Because I like to live life on the edge and it's crazy enough to work out with Dwight Howard.

Selling:
Houston Rockets. I think everyone's underestimating the hit their defense will take without Ariza and Mbah a Moute. They're still going to be good, but they aren't challenging GSW.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Buying:

The Milwaukee Bucks

Selling:

The Philidelphia 76ers

You think Embiid might be the best shooter on a team that has JJ Redick.  Really?

Fair. Best starter then. Maybe the 2nd best shooter total.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Buying:

The Milwaukee Bucks

Selling:

The Philidelphia 76ers

Fair. Best starter then. Maybe the 2nd best shooter total.

I keep saying watch for Landry Shamet. He was one of the best shooters in college last year. He's probably not ready to do much at an NBA level but if he turns into a guy who can shoot at that level and be competent-ish enough on D to not get run off the floor they get a lot more dangerous. I think Philly's one good shooter and some kind of real development from Fultz away from being a team that can genuinely contend in the East. Wilson Chandler's also a big wild-card for them.

As for me I'm buying Milwaukee - they're my pick for the 3 seed, maybe even the 2 - and Dallas - they won't make the playoffs but I think they'll be a really fun team and will catch some people by surprise, probably finish around 10th in the lotto.

I'm selling on Houston - they'll make the playoffs of course but will drop off a bit and lose in the 2nd round, and Portland, who I think is the most likely implosion candidate (I'm not counting Washington who's in a constant state of implosion).

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I agree with people on Houston taking a step back. They’ll probably still be the second best team in the West but it really felt like they blew their chance at beating GS last year. Chris Paul has to actually stay healthy which he almost never does.

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

Buying: Utah

Selling: Washington