Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47096 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2020, 01:45:54 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Lol.  Brad’s fault Tatum took a half off, Smart showed the offensive IQ of a rock, Tyler Herro played like Steph Curry, and the team had 18 turnovers.

Trade Smart and Tatum! Fire Danny and Brad! Let's get someone with who can actually draft! ;)

« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2020, 01:48:15 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Lol.  Brad’s fault Tatum took a half off, Smart showed the offensive IQ of a rock, Tyler Herro played like Steph Curry, and the team had 18 turnovers.

Brad needs to shore up his coaching and his coaching bench.

his team having 18+ turnovers is his fault yes - because he lets them do what they want- thats his mantra.

What should he do?  Play Semi more?

Instill some offensive discipline for starters. But hard to do that when you're a complete pushover softy. They simply don't respect him.
Lol. Guess you'd love us hiring Jim Boylen then?

Eh, anything and everything is looking good right now after Brad being significantly outcoached the past two series. His deficiencies - particularly his soft nature and demeanor - are in full display this postseason, and I've had my fill. Just don't think you can coach grown men/professionals with that soft of a nature and demeanor, as it bleeds into everything he does and leaks into the team's identity.

Yup! Boylen is actually willing to take risks unlike soft Brad! He'll bench Smart if he stinks on offense!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2gv3zSmMc4

« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2020, 02:37:51 AM »

Offline Linwood

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 9
The truth is the Celtics just aren’t very good. The system is great, Stevens has overachieve with some teams throughout his career in college and the professionals. But he has never made it over the hump

« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2020, 03:26:07 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
The truth is the Celtics just aren’t very good. The system is great, Stevens has overachieve with some teams throughout his career in college and the professionals. But he has never made it over the hump

If the Celtics aren't very good then the Raptors and 76ers are really awful teams.

« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2020, 04:32:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If the Celtics aren't very good then the Raptors and 76ers are really awful teams.
Yeah, what a hilarious way to phrase it. We're currently in the ECF for the 3rd time in 4 years and we're apparently a "meh" team. Some of the entitlement on display sometimes is crazy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2020, 07:35:43 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

Yeah, what a hilarious way to phrase it. We're currently in the ECF for the 3rd time in 4 years and we're apparently a "meh" team. Some of the entitlement on display sometimes is crazy

exactly....this is just Miamis year. I mean they did beat the Bucks lets not forget. We will be back.

« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2020, 07:52:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
No he’s still one of the better coaches in the league. He basically had an epic coaching battle with Nick Nurse (who is also a terrific coach). He’s just getting outworked by Spo right now.

- LilRip

« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2020, 07:52:44 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Interesting to pop back into this thread every once in a while, especially after losses.

I do feel that Brad is not the right coach to bring the C's their next championship, but firing him now is a bit more complicated.

To me, the bigger issue is that there was a window for the C's to go all the way this year and now it seems the window is closing with the improvement in the EC and really the NBA overall.  Miami appears to be the real thing with their excellent young talent (Herro, Robinson, Adebayo), Milwaukee has the reigning MVP/DPOY,  Ben Simmons comes back next year, Irving/Durant will be formidable...then look at the West: I see Dallas as breaking through next year as Luka is a generational talent, Lakers will likely be defending champs...

The pressure will be on Danny Ainge to make a significant move, but that will be very difficult with the Tatum pay-day coming up and lots of money already invested in very good but not super-elite players -- Hayward, Brown, Walker, Smart.  I'm not optimistic about what DA can pull off.

« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2020, 08:59:56 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Celtics are good, very good, Stevens is also good, but they are not contenders. Full stop.
But, what bothers me is that they have better players then Miami and in this series Brad just showed he's not up to this level. He had a contening team last year - ok, it was Kyrie's fault. This year he has great chemistry with Kemba and the rest of the crew. Yet, again, he can't overcome these obstacles that Spoelstra set for him. There is just huge difference between great basketball knowledge and great coach. And Brad always loses his weapons when it comes to a real fight. Honestly I don't believe we would have won Game 3 if Smart didn't do what he did in locker room.

I'm not said that much for losing the ECF, but for losing hopes we will ever reach the finals with coach Brad.

« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:09 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I don't see how last nights game had anything to do with Brad. He did everything this board wanted him to do. He took the correct timeouts to eliminate big runs, he played timelord. What else do we want?

3 reasons the celtics lost last night:

1. Marcus Smart. He was horrible. He shoots way too much.
2. Tyler Herro - Kid had the game of his life.
3. Turnovers.

I don't think this game is on Brad one bit.

« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2020, 09:14:01 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Celtics needs to add 2 more vets on the bench, not D-leaguers..also find a decent big man..if they do, we be a top 3 team in NBA..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #251 on: September 24, 2020, 09:15:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Celtics are good, very good, Stevens is also good, but they are not contenders. Full stop.
But, what bothers me is that they have better players then Miami and in this series Brad just showed he's not up to this level. He had a contening team last year - ok, it was Kyrie's fault. This year he has great chemistry with Kemba and the rest of the crew. Yet, again, he can't overcome these obstacles that Spoelstra set for him. There is just huge difference between great basketball knowledge and great coach. And Brad always loses his weapons when it comes to a real fight. Honestly I don't believe we would have won Game 3 if Smart didn't do what he did in locker room.

I'm not said that much for losing the ECF, but for losing hopes we will ever reach the finals with coach Brad.

Do we have better players, at least in terms of how they're playing right now?  Especially when you take into account that Hayward missed Games 1 and 2?

Bam has probably been the most dominant player in the series, Herro is scoring neck and neck with Jaylen, Kemba and Dragic are at best a wash, etc.  Our only real advantage is in the battle of "stars", Tatum vs. Butler.  Even there, Tatum gave us 0 points in the first half last night.

The Heat are just playing better.  Barely better, but better.  It's not the coach who commits turnovers, or misses open shots.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think there are OTHER things to worry about IN ADDITION of Brad Stevens and whether or not we think he should be fired.

For ME personally I don't think he should.

I think he could did things a bit better but I don't think his few mistakes are the overall problem.

Besides - outside of our OUTLIER performance against LAL this season where we beat them like 139 - 100 or something does anyone here REALLY think we could've beaten them in a 7-game series?

I do not.

Look - if Theis was having problems with Bam then what in the world was he going to do against Dwight, AD AND LeBron?

LeBron James is BIGGER than Theis, lol.

We're fooling ourselves if we think we had a chance against LAL.

Let us ALL take off the Green-tinted glasses for a min.....

If Lebron James has had HIS WAY with us in Big Games what makes us think that THIS YEAR would've been different?

Seriously?

And THEN you have THIS DUDE

Who is having YET ANOTHER playoff resurgence.

Make no mistake about it we may as well LIE DOWN against MIA next game.

It will be a MERCY KILLING.

Signed - Diehard Boston Celtics Fan - always and forevermore.

« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Just trying to keep some perspective, but I think we can chalk up the late game failures on the need for Tatum and Brown to be the best players on the team.  For this group to be a true title contender, they need/ed either Kemba or Hayward to be consistently one of the 2 best players for the majority of a playoff run.  I was hopeful that Kemba could assume this role as a clutch scorer. 

Many of us were hoping this team would take on the mold of the 2004 Pistons.  It's obviously not an apples to apples comparison, although there are similarties in terms of having 3 or 4 borderline all-stars instead of a top 5 player. 

Unfortunately, there's a reason why teams like that are the exception and not the rule.  Regardless of what happens the rest of the series, I'm very comfortable with the trajectory of Tatum and Brown. 

Danny made the necessary purge to fix the culture last off-season.  His next big task is finding complementary scoring depth off the bench.  This team is in dire need to a sharpshooter.

As for Brad, I'm far more patient than most.  He will continue to grow as a coach while Tatum and Brown enter their primes.  Now it's up to Danny to supplement the roster with some veteran depth.   

« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2020, 09:19:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really have trouble seeing how last night was much of Brad's fault. 

They came out flat.  They were sloppy.  They turned the ball over too much.  They took ill advised shots. Tatum no showed the first half.  Herro got in the zone. 

A lot, and I mean a LOT, of that is on the players.  Not the coach.

Brad's certainly not perfect by any means but the players are making a lot of mistakes right now. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team