Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47528 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #300 on: September 24, 2020, 11:13:16 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
Mike D'Antoni says Brad Stevens is legit.
I don't want D'Antoni as the coach here because he has some serious flaws but boy would it be fun to see what he could do with this Celtics team playing uptempo run and gun basketball. Kemba Walker would have the season of his life. Tatum and Jaylen would excel. Hayward would love it. Theis. So many guys on this team would suit D'Antoni.
Our wings and Kemba would put up some insane numbers
If some people here think we take too many 3's already, I'd love to see their reaction to how we'd play with D'Antoni lol.
I would be going nuts, a D'Antoni offence with our personnel is perfect imo.
It would be kemba/tatum iso, 3s, 3s and 3s. Boring and predictable offense that gets exposed on post season. No, thanks.

« Reply #301 on: September 24, 2020, 11:40:01 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't want D'Antoni as the coach here because he has some serious flaws but boy would it be fun to see what he could do with this Celtics team playing uptempo run and gun basketball. Kemba Walker would have the season of his life. Tatum and Jaylen would excel. Hayward would love it. Theis. So many guys on this team would suit D'Antoni.
If some people here think we take too many 3's already, I'd love to see their reaction to how we'd play with D'Antoni lol.
It would be kemba/tatum iso, 3s, 3s and 3s. Boring and predictable offense that gets exposed on post season. No, thanks.
Tatum/Kemba iso sounds very familiar but I think D'Antoni is a PnR heavy coach :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #302 on: September 24, 2020, 11:40:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Eh, I'm not advocating for D'Antoni but he's got way more than just 1 trick up his sleeve when it comes to designing an offense.

He's actually a quite brilliant offensive mind and truly understands how to maximize the offensive talent he has.  Of course, he also completely ignores defense and thinks of it as a nuisance.

« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2020, 11:43:03 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Eh, I'm not advocating for D'Antoni but he's got way more than just 1 trick up his sleeve when it comes to designing an offense.

He's actually a quite brilliant offensive mind and truly understands how to maximize the offensive talent he has.  Of course, he also completely ignores defense and thinks of it as a nuisance.
Obviously not seriously thinking of firing Brad and replacing him with D'Antoni, but what if a team surrounds him with assistant coaches who're great at organising a defence (eg. Thibs, Nurse) so he can focus on coaching the team on offence while leaving the other end of the court to those assistants?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2020, 11:53:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Obviously not seriously thinking of firing Brad and replacing him with D'Antoni, but what if a team surrounds him with assistant coaches who're great at organising a defence (eg. Thibs, Nurse) so he can focus on coaching the team on offence while leaving the other end of the court to those assistants?

I'm trying to buy Doc out from the Clippers and have him come back with both Brad and D'Antoni as his assistants  8)

« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2020, 12:16:14 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Somewhat off topic but I have a feeling D'Antoni will end up in Philly. He strikes me as the type of guy who likes challenges and trying to make something of a team with Simmons - a current non-shooter who is a great ballhandler and passer - as its centerpiece might be intriguing. If he can get Simmons to learn how to shoot he could be a monster as a ball handling stretch 5 who can defend positions 1 - 5.

Course given Philly's salary cap position he would probably have to ship out Embiid to get some shooters and take some salary to get rid of Harris and/or Horford, but I have no doubt that Brand would give him the keys to the team if he was able to convince D'Antoni to take the helm.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2020, 03:13:08 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Brad works with what he has - top 5 team in terms of talent and gets them to be a top 3 team in the league....
It’s hard to say he is failing at his job
I don't think he's failing. But his weaknesses as a coach have been exposed. While I don't think this team is ready to win the title yet - I think it's a valid question to ask whether Brad has taken this team as far as he can?

The guy who builds and develops a team isn't necessarily the best guy to get it over the final hurdle.

Mark Jackson agrees

« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2020, 03:15:55 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

He’s been a coach most his life and 7 years in the nba.  He should be figuring it out by now.

« Reply #308 on: September 25, 2020, 05:15:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm trying to buy Doc out from the Clippers and have him come back with both Brad and D'Antoni as his assistants  8)
Nah, Doc is being majorly exposed. One of the biggest perennial chokers as a coach
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #309 on: September 25, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brad is going to be second guessed by most fans (including me) until he wins it all. Even if he can get to the finals, that will buy him some equity for a few seasons. 

This season is frustrating primarily because the opportunity is there to get to the finals that is not at all unrealistic, especially given that the Heat took care of our biggest nemesis, the Bucks.  The Sixers were very undermanned, so that was a first round gift.  The Raptors sans Kawhi were very beatable, and credit to Brad for getting that done, without Gordon no less.

This Heat series is where I feel Brad has lacked a certain level of creativeness.  When things aren't working, he tends to say that it is failure of execution, staying in the moment, etc.  But sometimes you just need to shake things up.  Maybe he did not feel the pressure to do so until now. Does he now?  I don't know, we will see.

He has that capability. See what he did when we were down 2-0 vs Bulls a few years back. Gerald Green inserted as a starter, and it really energized us.

« Reply #310 on: September 25, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
  As usual injuries defused the Celtics once again.  Hayward complete game and good defense was sorely missed . 

Bucks had no chance wthout the freak against the Heat.

We should have played better this series,  Kemba disappeared too much and Haywards lenght and passing and easy buckets when Kemba gets cold were too all apparent .

A coach with alot of fire in his gut , might have pushed the team more .  Heat seemed to want it more.

I ll give CBS a pass mostly based on Hayward injury . A chess master has to have all,his pieces to play the best game.

Better luck next year.

« Reply #311 on: September 25, 2020, 04:47:18 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
If Brad can make Finals - he can stay - if he cant then idk...time to look around - I'd like someone who of the likes of McHale - wish he could even come as an assistant to Brad.. idk
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #312 on: September 25, 2020, 06:07:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
When I think about how they can't get Jaylen the ball, I just get angrier and angrier. If Brad doesn't solve that I'd bring in someone who can.

If they go out in 5 he, to me, gets a huge share of the blame.

« Reply #313 on: September 25, 2020, 06:29:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Brad can make Finals - he can stay - if he cant then idk...time to look around - I'd like someone who of the likes of McHale - wish he could even come as an assistant to Brad.. idk
I would genuinely love McHale around. He is simply such a great dude. He also got that Rockets team to the WCF
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #314 on: September 25, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
I LOVE..I really Do...

I think our BEST fit after

But....!!

is what we need!

*sippin*