Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47522 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Brad works with what he has - top 5 team in terms of talent and gets them to be a top 3 team in the league....
It’s hard to say he is failing at his job
I don't think he's failing. But his weaknesses as a coach have been exposed. While I don't think this team is ready to win the title yet - I think it's a valid question to ask whether Brad has taken this team as far as he can?

The guy who builds and develops a team isn't necessarily the best guy to get it over the final hurdle. 

« Reply #286 on: September 24, 2020, 12:23:48 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Brad works with what he has - top 5 team in terms of talent and gets them to be a top 3 team in the league....
I don't think he's failing. But his weaknesses as a coach have been exposed. While I don't think this team is ready to win the title yet - I think it's a valid question to ask whether Brad has taken this team as far as he can?

The guy who builds and develops a team isn't necessarily the best guy to get it over the final hurdle.

Brad has taken 3 entirely different teams to the ECF. Would love to seen him have the chance to actually build and develop this squad instead of the constant turnover - and I think he will.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #287 on: September 24, 2020, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
It may have originally been a "bridge season" but a golden opportunity is there right now and the Celtics aren't capitalizing.  That's the frustrating part & I'm assuming the reason for so much consternation.   A path was parted via MIL's elimination and the defeat of Toronto and a BKN lost cause season to have the Celtics reach the Finals and potentially win the whole [dang] thing. 

And the players are currently blowing it.  It may have been a bridge season but that turned into a win now season via a variety of events.

Those opportunities don't come along very often and the promise of the future is just that, only a promise.
Every year has been a bridge year. That’s how Danny and most fans like it

« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2020, 12:27:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
It may have originally been a "bridge season" but a golden opportunity is there right now and the Celtics aren't capitalizing.  That's the frustrating part & I'm assuming the reason for so much consternation.   A path was parted via MIL's elimination and the defeat of Toronto and a BKN lost cause season to have the Celtics reach the Finals and potentially win the whole [dang] thing. 

And the players are currently blowing it.  It may have been a bridge season but that turned into a win now season via a variety of events.

Those opportunities don't come along very often and the promise of the future is just that, only a promise.

I seriously doubt that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2020, 12:47:36 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Mike D'Antoni says Brad Stevens is legit.

« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And?

D'Antoni is overrated

« Reply #291 on: September 24, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
I don't want D'Antoni as the coach here because he has some serious flaws but boy would it be fun to see what he could do with this Celtics team playing uptempo run and gun basketball. Kemba Walker would have the season of his life. Tatum and Jaylen would excel. Hayward would love it. Theis. So many guys on this team would suit D'Antoni.

« Reply #292 on: September 24, 2020, 05:20:37 PM »

Online G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97

I don’t think most fans nor Danny are happy with every year being a bridge year.  Danny is collecting chips to go all in when the time is right.  The waiting can get frustrating, but I believe we are trying to head in the right direction.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:35:53 PM by G-Bones »

« Reply #293 on: September 24, 2020, 08:01:32 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

I don’t think most fans nor Danny are happy with every year being a bridge year.  Danny is collecting chips to go all in when the time is right.  The waiting can get frustrating, but I believe we are trying to head in the right direction.

There's never a time is right in professional sports, you either capitalize when the window appears open or it slams shut, the boat has sailed and you're left wondering why you didn't act more aggressively when the chance presented.

There's no guarantee the Celtics potential will materialize.

« Reply #294 on: September 24, 2020, 08:02:13 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
You would think eventually the coach would be held responsible for his failures. This team has the same issues every season, regardless of who is on the roster.

There's nothing any of us can do about it, though, so.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Celts had Spoelstra, would anyone argue this series would not at least be 2-2 heading into game 5?

I would. The game was decided by turnovers by our absolute best players, not our schemes.

Exactly. Game was decided by 3 points. We had 19 turnovers to their 8. We actually shot better than them despite our atrocious first half. Other than Herro they shot like 30% from the floor and 25% overall. Anytime you have that many turnovers you're always going to struggle to win any game.

Reading through this 20 page thread, it's becoming clear to me that a big part of the Brad hate is his personality. People want a coach that gets fired up, shows passion, shows that he cares, and shows he cares by yelling at players, yelling at the refs, just like we yell at our TV sets when we're watching the game. Brad just isn't that kind of coach, at least not from the public side he chooses to show us. People want someone who micromanages the game, someone how is more autocratic. Brad is more of a democratic coach, he wants the players to feel like they have a stake in the game and aren't just being told what to do, so that they take more responsibility for their performance.

But ultimately I'm sure Danny and Wyc are smart enough people to have the right measurement criteria in place to determine if Brad is doing a good job or not. I don't think they go in with a mentality of "championship or bust" every year. If anything I think they were probably more all in on the team we had last year than this year, so if he was going to be fired last year would have been a more likely time. I hold him much more responsible for what happened with the team last year than this year, because a coach's job, in addition to the xs and os and the in game coaching, is to make sure the team is humming smoothly and running on all cylinders, and to act as a liaison to the front office if it is not. He made a hash of Hayward's return to the starting lineup, then created more discord with too many players wanting playing time, then failed to tamp down all the discontent as the team started to go off the rails. Then his democratic style got him in trouble in games when he failed to act to stop runs until it was too late as he waited for the players to dig themselves out of the holes they had put themselves in.

Instead...he got extended and brought a 3rd Celtics team to the ECF. Now we can say we're Celtics fans, we have higher standards, ECF isn't good enough for us...but if anyone had told us at the start of the year that we would still have a chance to go to the Finals for the 3rd time in 4 years after losing the players we did I think we would have all taken it. Of course being outplayed by another team that we consider to be not as good as ours hurts. That's not all on Brad though.

Also not thinking someone should be fired for incompetence is not the same as not wanting there to be accountability for mistakes. All depends on what the expectations are going into the year and how those get adjusted as the year goes. There's 2 ways of looking at the last 4 years where made the ECF for the 3rd time in the last 4 years and didn't get further. Is the focus on the first part of the sentence, or the last part? What's the expectation?

Brad has been far from perfect this year and I'm sure he will hear about his failings from Danny and Wyc at the end of the year. But I doubt those failings will be enough to get him fired. Anyone who has gone and attended a performance review with their boss knows there's plenty of ways your boss can make you feel accountable for your failings without necessarily firing you
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2020, 08:08:20 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

This is certainly a valid point, TP for bringing it up. You can be successful at your job, but still not be the right person. E.g. Brett Brown was probably the right guy to guide Philly through those Process years, but probably not the person to take them over the hump.

As for Brad, I think the jury is still out on that.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2020, 08:58:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Celtics needs to add 2 more vets on the bench, not D-leaguers..also find a decent big man..if they do, we be a top 3 team in NBA..
I found this quite funny because we are currently a top 4 team in the NBA
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2020, 08:59:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't want D'Antoni as the coach here because he has some serious flaws but boy would it be fun to see what he could do with this Celtics team playing uptempo run and gun basketball. Kemba Walker would have the season of his life. Tatum and Jaylen would excel. Hayward would love it. Theis. So many guys on this team would suit D'Antoni.
Our wings and Kemba would put up some insane numbers
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2020, 09:11:54 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
If some people here think we take too many 3's already, I'd love to see their reaction to how we'd play with D'Antoni lol.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2020, 10:58:20 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If some people here think we take too many 3's already, I'd love to see their reaction to how we'd play with D'Antoni lol.
I would be going nuts, a D'Antoni offence with our personnel is perfect imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA