Author Topic: Let's Get the Czech Jet--Jan Vesely  (Read 1035 times)

Let's Get the Czech Jet--Jan Vesely
« on: July 01, 2019, 12:13:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This guy was drafted by the Wiz with the 6th pick a few years back.  He showed a lot of promise, but really struggled with his confidence, as reflected with a free throw shooting percentage in the 30 percentile.  After bouncing around, he went back to Europe, slowly built his game, and is now Euro League MVP.  His shooting has vastly improved -- Free throw pecentage in the 80's now!!-- and also a great rebounder and assist man. I don't know about his 3 point range, would like to find out from our European friends on CS.

I think it would be a long shot to get him, since he is probably on a great salary, but he has opened the door to come back to the NBA in the right circumstances.  Hoping Danny tries to talk him into joining us. Would be a great starting center for us now that we lost Al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8_9WBi3z5Q

Re: Let's Get the Czech Jet--Jan Vesely
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Unless he's bulked up a lot and can play C now, I don't see the point.

The Celts have no shortage of guys who can play minutes at the 3 or 4.

Also wow, he's already 29.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
He has bulked up. He is not a 3 or 4. He is a 5. 

He is considered the number 1 center in the EuroLeague.  He is very athletic.

Who cares that he is 29. So are Hayward and Walker. 

Can EuroLeague fans weigh in here about Vesely's ability to play the 5 in Brad Stevens offense. I'm going by articles and video, but haven't watched his game film.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If he can really play center against NBA caliber athletes, that's interesting.  Why hasn't he come over to the NBA yet, then?

My assumption would be that as the Euroleague MVP he can make more money than he would being a 15-20 mpg guy in the NBA.  Probably he makes more than the RME that the Celts have to offer right now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I remember wanting him to switch to the 5 towards the end of his stay in Washington. He just wasn't skilled enough to be a forward. He had the size and athleticism to be dangerous as a quick 5.

Where his length and activity as a mobile defender & rebounder could help his team. And where his passing, handles and athleticism could add offensively.

Happy to hear he has done that and succeeded in Europe.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
On 18 February 2019, Veselı signed a three-year contract extension with Fenerbahçe.[22] On 9 May 2019, Veselı was once again named to the All-EuroLeague First Team.[23] Later that month, Veselı was named the EuroLeague MVP for 2018–19 EuroLeague season.[24]

From wikipedia

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
On 18 February 2019, Veselı signed a three-year contract extension with Fenerbahçe.[22] On 9 May 2019, Veselı was once again named to the All-EuroLeague First Team.[23] Later that month, Veselı was named the EuroLeague MVP for 2018–19 EuroLeague season.[24]

From wikipedia

Yeah, I saw that. We'd have to buy out his contract.  I guess that gets messy, and would count against what we could pay him? I forgot the rules on that.