Author Topic: What did we get for the Rozier Sign and Trade?  (Read 4339 times)

Re: What did we get for the Rozier Sign and Trade?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 11:30:29 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Jared Weiss says a S&T here could still give us the 9.6M MLE and Bi-Annual one too. He apparently wrote this on The Athletic (paywall)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 11:31:55 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
how does a sign and trade work involving Walker and Rozier?

what does Hornets get out of it? What would the Celts?

can a cap expert lay it down .....

I'd like to know this too. I'm not too familiar with base level compensation and all that stuff as it applies here.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 11:34:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The Hornets might actually give the Cs something for Rozier.

https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1145525328149979136?s=21

I’d be happy with Willy Hernangomez

Doubt we could get Willy, but that would be pretty sweet. He's an underrated big that is great on the boards and has a pretty good post game. May even be worth throwing in a second rounder or late first round pick to get him if we don't land anything else of significance for the center spot in free agency.

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 11:43:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
But a league source refuted that the trade will enable the Celtics to use the full $9.3 million mid-level exception on another free agent. The Celtics remain in the market for a replacement big man, but according to the source are still limited to offering a $4.7 “room” exception to prospective candidates.

??? ....  9.3 million but limited to 4.7?

or does this mean, team can spend 4.7 x 2 (approx) just not all 9.3 on one player

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 11:44:31 PM »

Offline Cousy14

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
But a league source refuted that the trade will enable the Celtics to use the full $9.3 million mid-level exception on another free agent. The Celtics remain in the market for a replacement big man, but according to the source are still limited to offering a $4.7 “room” exception to prospective candidates.

or does this mean, team can spend 4.7 x 2 just not all 9.3 on one player

Then why did we do it?

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 11:44:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

???

Correct, unless Brooklyn or Philly joins the trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 11:45:12 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I'd like to know this too. I'm not too familiar with base level compensation and all that stuff as it applies here.

As a BYC player, Rozier's starting year salary (around $18M) will only count as half for outgoing trade salary - so roughly $9M. We'd then just renounce the rights to the rest of our free agents sans Theis and take the rest of Kemba's salary into the remaining cap room that we have.

The problem with this route is it only gives us access to the Room Exception as a team using cap space to sign players, which is only $4.7M or so. If we include a third team do a S&T with either Horford or Kyrie and then use that TPE in the trade for Kemba, that allows us access to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception of around $9.3M as a team over the cap. This is why we are trying to get Kyrie or Horford to do a S&T with us.

EDIT: But hey, if we could get Wily out of this that might not be too bad. He's a solid young center prospect.

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 11:45:28 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

or does this mean, team can spend 4.7 x 2 (approx) just not all 9.3 on one player

As I read it, that quote is saying the Celtics can only spend the 4.7 room exception

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2019, 11:48:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

As a BYC player, Rozier's starting year salary (around $18M) will only count as half for outgoing trade salary - so roughly $9M. We'd then just renounce the rights to the rest of our free agents sans Theis and take the rest of Kemba's salary into the remaining cap room that we have.

The problem with this route is it only gives us access to the Room Exception as a team using cap space to sign players, which is only $4.7M or so. If we include a third team do a S&T with either Horford or Kyrie and then use that TPE in the trade for Kemba, that allows us access to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception of around $9.3M as a team over the cap. This is why we are trying to get Kyrie or Horford to do a S&T with us.

EDIT: But hey, if we could get Wily out of this that might not be too bad. He's a solid young center prospect.

thanks for some details...

so like the other user asked

what was the point of this trade?

Celts would have the mid level exception regardless of sign and trade...

why would the Celts be better off doing a S&T and why would Hornets be better off?

Why would the Hornets likely need to include some kind of compensation?

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

why would the Celts be better off doing a S&T and why would Hornets be better off?

The Hornets needed to do a S&T to get Rozier. They’re giving us a presumably small asset to facilitate that deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2019, 11:53:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The Hornets needed to do a S&T to get Rozier. They’re giving us a presumably small asset to facilitate that deal.

Thanks Roy

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/charlotte_hornets/

I can't believe even without Walker,  they have a pretty big payroll

I mean....wow

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2019, 11:54:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Thanks Roy

I mean....wow
Batum's agent is a genius!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 11:55:40 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

This.

Specifically, there are two reasons to do this:

First, this allows the possibility of adding a third team to the deal with a S&T of Horford or Kyrie, which as stated above gives us access to a higher exception to use on a player.

Second, if not a three-team deal, this is a bit of goodwill to Charlotte, who couldn't have signed Rozier otherwise. So not only will we be able to get some compensation for helping them out if it's just a two-team deal (come on Willy!), it also shows goodwill around the league and builds rapport with Charlotte for future potential trades, along with facilitating Rozier getting a big contract. Good optics and relationship-building at the very least.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2019, 11:56:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Thanks Roy

I mean....wow
Batum's agent is a genius!

seriously

and Biyombo, Cody Zeller, Marvin Williams, MKG

avg 15 million per season

I mean... lollll!

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2019, 11:59:02 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

thanks for some details...

I would guess a 2nd round draft pick.