Author Topic: Why didn't Kyrie tell Ainge he's leaving?  (Read 6831 times)

Re: Why didn't Kyrie tell Ainge he's leaving?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2019, 03:35:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Perhaps Kyrie already told Ainge and Ainge has moved on but just hasn't graced us with that info? It sure appears Ainge is deep into plan C or D and so has moved on from Kyrie. I think Ainge may have moved on from Horford as well.

Or maybe Ainge found out through other means that Kyrie is gone and then moved on. The recruiting text stuff could be how he found out, though not sure on the veracity of that.

Or perhaps, Kyrie will do what Gordon Hayward tried to do, tell his old team that he will be leaving before officially letting his new team know he will be joining them. Remember, Hayward wanted to let Utah know but the info leaked out before he could do it. Everyone had figured for weeks that Hayward to Boston was a sure thing, but Hayward still didn't let Utah know until after he had an official sit down with Boston that he was leaving.

Yes, the situations are slightly different as Gordon was still listening to Utah's proposal but it shows that players do sometimes wait until after meeting with their new team before letting the old team know they are moving on.

I don't see that Kyrie not informing Ainge he won't be returning is any type of big deal or is a reason to lob further hate his way, especially when we don't know for sure that he hasn't already done so.

There is lots of reason for people to be angry with Kyrie:

* His poor leadership
* His terrible performance against Milwaukee in the playoffs
* Fighting against the Stevens' directions and coaching
* Being a major part of the team's poor chemistry this year
* His type of game(I don't get this one as so many that claimed they hated his game and fit were the same people that loved IT)
* He replaced the beloved Isaiah Thomas
* His quirky personality

But, this....this is no reason for consternation. He may already have told Ainge he is gone and it's also very common for players to not let their former teams know they aren't moving on until the player verbally commits to their new team in person anyway.
Most of those aren't legit reasons. 

Leadership is a talent.  Some people are natural leaders.  Some people can be developed into good leaders.  Many people will never be leaders.  Kyrie doesn't appear to have the talent but maybe he just hasn't had good leaders to learn from. 
Where was the leadership from Stevens and the coaches?  Where was the leadership from older vets (Horford, Hayward ...)? 

Stevens is a big part of the problem.  Doesn't matter how good of an X's and O's coach he is.  If he can't deal with difficult players, he needs to go back to college where coaches are in control.

Kyrie was part of the team's poor chemistry but there were a lot of contributors to it. 

Kyrie and IT do have similar games.  Kyrie is just better.  The main difference is the team expectations were a lot lower when Kyrie was here.  Personally I found IT's Brinx truck talk rather annoying. 

Danny traded IT for Kyrie which was a good move.  Kyrie had nothing to do with it other than asking to be traded. 

Feels strange defending Kyrie since I've never liked him and didn't want him as a Celtic. 
However the pile everything that went wrong this season on Kyrie is nonsense and it isn't a good look for the Celtics.  The blame should start with Stevens and Danny.
Dude...where in my post did I say Kyrie was the only person to blame? Heck, where did I say I felt any hate or anger at Kyrie? Maybe you disagree with the reasons I listed why people didn't like Kyrie, but those were reasons given by people showing all sorts of dislike Kyrie's way for two years. It's not made up stuff. People have verbalized these things on this blog.
I didn't say anything as to whether you believed any or all of those reasons.  I didn't say you made anything up.  You're correct that many Celtics fans have been making those complaints about Kyrie especially now that he is leaving.  I'm saying those reasons to be angry with Kyrie are nonsense to varying degrees.  The whiny, entitled Celtics fans need to grow a pair and accept the NBA is a players league and specifically a star driven league.   

Kyrie's obligation was to play out his contract which he did.  He wasn't obligated to re-sign with us.  He wasn't obligated to buy into Stevens system.  Kyrie chaffed at being limited by having to fit in with Lebron.  Don't know why any would have thought he'd be happy having to fit into Steven's system.
My bad. In reading your response it just sure seemed you were incinuating that I was angry at Kyrie for those reasons and that I was putting all the blame on Kyrie.

I think we both agree that there was plenty of blame to go around and that includes Ainge, Stevens, the rest of the coaches and every player up and down that lineup, yes, that includes Kyrie, Al, Smart, everyone.

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I also had a thought...if Kyrie was on 04 Sox as a baseball player, bet we lose to Yankees in 4.... ok, that was my one jab at him out the door.

In the end, Boston did not fully embrace him like an Ortiz or a Martinez or a Pierce or Brady or KG and from this past season, probably rightfully so.

I will soon forget he ever wore Green. To me, he will always be Lebron’s robin. I wish it worked out differently and he backed up his words but those words were tied to feeling wanted and loving his time here which is obvious now that he did not. He could have turned this town around in his favor by becoming the leader he aspires to be but in the end, he wants to “try” and do that somewhere closer to his heart.

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2019, 09:19:10 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Considering we're favorites to land Kemba, I'm gonna say Kyrie told Danny something.

Just because no one has made an explicit proclamation doesn't mean it didn't happen privately.

… Or Danny and the organization have decided to move on from Kyrie Because he was a cancer, or for any other many reasons.

It looks like that’s exactly what happened… Amazing

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Well Kyrie has possted an Instagram video to tell everyone why he decided to sign with the Nets. It's kind of like a music video really.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-kyrie-irving-20190701-3px3dig5dbgsvcisf6irwnwdza-story.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 06:59:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Well Kyrie has possted an Instagram video to tell everyone why he decided to sign with the Nets. It's kind of like a music video really.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-kyrie-irving-20190701-3px3dig5dbgsvcisf6irwnwdza-story.html

well I guess we aren't going to see any players tribune letter from Kyrie to Boston huh?

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2019, 07:01:51 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Pretty sure his biggest games against us are in front of us. He is going to have huge chip when facing us.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Pretty sure his biggest games against us are in front of us. He is going to have huge chip when facing us.
I don't see why he would have a huge chip seeing as how he left voluntarily. If anything, our guys will have a huge chip facing him.

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2019, 07:42:58 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

well I guess we aren't going to see any players tribune letter from Kyrie to Boston huh?

Don't hold your breath  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
So much for all Kyrie supporters guy had checked out before the season. Think about that. The inly reason he was mad is because the media snuffed him out. My thread on this issue probably should not have been merged with any thread.

What do you think about your leader checking out before the season...no wonder he did not pass the ball or relish his team mates successes.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:05:17 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I don't see why he would have a huge chip seeing as how he left voluntarily. If anything, our guys will have a huge chip facing him.

TP.

If you don’t think that Marcus and Jaylen especially won’t relish punishing the little diva by slamming him constantly, then I don’t know what to tell you. Things are going to get very physical… In a clean yet pounding sort of way.