Author Topic: Why didn't Kyrie tell Ainge he's leaving?  (Read 6832 times)

Re: Why didn't Kyrie tell Ainge he's leaving?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Considering we're favorites to land Kemba, I'm gonna say Kyrie told Danny something.

Just because no one has made an explicit proclamation doesn't mean it didn't happen privately.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Perhaps Kyrie already told Ainge and Ainge has moved on but just hasn't graced us with that info? It sure appears Ainge is deep into plan C or D and so has moved on from Kyrie. I think Ainge may have moved on from Horford as well.

Or maybe Ainge found out through other means that Kyrie is gone and then moved on. The recruiting text stuff could be how he found out, though not sure on the veracity of that.

Or perhaps, Kyrie will do what Gordon Hayward tried to do, tell his old team that he will be leaving before officially letting his new team know he will be joining them. Remember, Hayward wanted to let Utah know but the info leaked out before he could do it. Everyone had figured for weeks that Hayward to Boston was a sure thing, but Hayward still didn't let Utah know until after he had an official sit down with Boston that he was leaving.

Yes, the situations are slightly different as Gordon was still listening to Utah's proposal but it shows that players do sometimes wait until after meeting with their new team before letting the old team know they are moving on.

I don't see that Kyrie not informing Ainge he won't be returning is any type of big deal or is a reason to lob further hate his way, especially when we don't know for sure that he hasn't already done so.

There is lots of reason for people to be angry with Kyrie:

* His poor leadership
* His terrible performance against Milwaukee in the playoffs
* Fighting against the Stevens' directions and coaching
* Being a major part of the team's poor chemistry this year
* His type of game(I don't get this one as so many that claimed they hated his game and fit were the same people that loved IT)
* He replaced the beloved Isaiah Thomas
* His quirky personality

But, this....this is no reason for consternation. He may already have told Ainge he is gone and it's also very common for players to not let their former teams know they aren't moving on until the player verbally commits to their new team in person anyway.
Most of those aren't legit reasons. 

Leadership is a talent.  Some people are natural leaders.  Some people can be developed into good leaders.  Many people will never be leaders.  Kyrie doesn't appear to have the talent but maybe he just hasn't had good leaders to learn from. 
Where was the leadership from Stevens and the coaches?  Where was the leadership from older vets (Horford, Hayward ...)? 

Stevens is a big part of the problem.  Doesn't matter how good of an X's and O's coach he is.  If he can't deal with difficult players, he needs to go back to college where coaches are in control.

Kyrie was part of the team's poor chemistry but there were a lot of contributors to it. 

Kyrie and IT do have similar games.  Kyrie is just better.  The main difference is the team expectations were a lot lower when Kyrie was here.  Personally I found IT's Brinx truck talk rather annoying. 

Danny traded IT for Kyrie which was a good move.  Kyrie had nothing to do with it other than asking to be traded. 

Feels strange defending Kyrie since I've never liked him and didn't want him as a Celtic. 
However the pile everything that went wrong this season on Kyrie is nonsense and it isn't a good look for the Celtics.  The blame should start with Stevens and Danny. 

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2019, 01:21:50 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Considering we're favorites to land Kemba, I'm gonna say Kyrie told Danny something.

Just because no one has made an explicit proclamation doesn't mean it didn't happen privately.

… Or Danny and the organization have decided to move on from Kyrie Because he was a cancer, or for any other many reasons.

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Perhaps Kyrie already told Ainge and Ainge has moved on but just hasn't graced us with that info? It sure appears Ainge is deep into plan C or D and so has moved on from Kyrie. I think Ainge may have moved on from Horford as well.

Or maybe Ainge found out through other means that Kyrie is gone and then moved on. The recruiting text stuff could be how he found out, though not sure on the veracity of that.

Or perhaps, Kyrie will do what Gordon Hayward tried to do, tell his old team that he will be leaving before officially letting his new team know he will be joining them. Remember, Hayward wanted to let Utah know but the info leaked out before he could do it. Everyone had figured for weeks that Hayward to Boston was a sure thing, but Hayward still didn't let Utah know until after he had an official sit down with Boston that he was leaving.

Yes, the situations are slightly different as Gordon was still listening to Utah's proposal but it shows that players do sometimes wait until after meeting with their new team before letting the old team know they are moving on.

I don't see that Kyrie not informing Ainge he won't be returning is any type of big deal or is a reason to lob further hate his way, especially when we don't know for sure that he hasn't already done so.

* His poor leadership
* His type of game(I don't get this one as so many that claimed they hated his game and fit were the same people that loved IT)
* His quirky personality

But, this....this is no reason for consternation. He may already have told Ainge he is gone and it's also very common for players to not let their former teams know they aren't moving on until the player verbally commits to their new team in person anyway.

There is a lot of reason for people to be angry at Kyrie which you articulated in your post, but I believe that the singular reason Boston fans are taking this one angrily is because Kyrie has single-handedly derailed years of championship planning by Danny Ainge.

It is a known fact that the NBA is a star driven league, and the fortunes of a team can be turned positively by one star player signing. If this is the case then a star player leaving can likewise turn the fortunes of a team negatively. Signing Kyrie Irving was a building block in Ainge's master plan. For the plan to succeed it required Kyrie to be ALL IN and not wavering. It was all good when Kyrie followed the script and committed openly before the fans last October. Once he began his antics of publishing his apology call to James. and refused to restate his commitment even going to the extent of saying he did not own anybody anything. The rails began to come off Ainge's master plan. Any chance at AD, ANY AT ALL, required Kyrie to be on board with the Celtics, yet there he is flirting with KD and NYC, even the Lakers thought they had a chance. Dont get me wrong he has a right to be a free agent, but it is also a fact that his exercise of that right derailed YEARS of planning by Danny Ainge. This is the single most important reason why the fans turned on Kyrie. He single-handedly torpedoed the master plan.
I know you were in the game threads the last two years. Long before Kyrie derailed the Celtics long term plans there was massive hate going Kyrie's way. That was pretty easy to see across the blog the last two years and especially in the game threads.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

* His poor leadership
* His quirky personality

Leadership is a talent.  Some people are natural leaders.  Some people can be developed into good leaders.  Many people will never be leaders.  Kyrie doesn't appear to have the talent but maybe he just hasn't had good leaders to learn from. 
Where was the leadership from Stevens and the coaches?  Where was the leadership from older vets (Horford, Hayward ...)? 

Stevens is a big part of the problem.  Doesn't matter how good of an X's and O's coach he is.  If he can't deal with difficult players, he needs to go back to college where coaches are in control.

Kyrie was part of the team's poor chemistry but there were a lot of contributors to it. 

Kyrie and IT do have similar games.  Kyrie is just better.  The main difference is the team expectations were a lot lower when Kyrie was here.  Personally I found IT's Brinx truck talk rather annoying. 

Danny traded IT for Kyrie which was a good move.  Kyrie had nothing to do with it other than asking to be traded. 

Feels strange defending Kyrie since I've never liked him and didn't want him as a Celtic. 
However the pile everything that went wrong this season on Kyrie is nonsense and it isn't a good look for the Celtics.  The blame should start with Stevens and Danny.
Dude...where in my post did I say Kyrie was the only person to blame? Heck, where did I say I felt any hate or anger at Kyrie? Maybe you disagree with the reasons I listed why people didn't like Kyrie, but those were reasons given by people showing all sorts of dislike Kyrie's way for two years. It's not made up stuff. People have verbalized these things on this blog.

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2019, 02:00:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

* His poor leadership
* His quirky personality

There is a lot of reason for people to be angry at Kyrie which you articulated in your post, but I believe that the singular reason Boston fans are taking this one angrily is because Kyrie has single-handedly derailed years of championship planning by Danny Ainge.

It is a known fact that the NBA is a star driven league, and the fortunes of a team can be turned positively by one star player signing. If this is the case then a star player leaving can likewise turn the fortunes of a team negatively. Signing Kyrie Irving was a building block in Ainge's master plan. For the plan to succeed it required Kyrie to be ALL IN and not wavering. It was all good when Kyrie followed the script and committed openly before the fans last October. Once he began his antics of publishing his apology call to James. and refused to restate his commitment even going to the extent of saying he did not own anybody anything. The rails began to come off Ainge's master plan. Any chance at AD, ANY AT ALL, required Kyrie to be on board with the Celtics, yet there he is flirting with KD and NYC, even the Lakers thought they had a chance. Dont get me wrong he has a right to be a free agent, but it is also a fact that his exercise of that right derailed YEARS of planning by Danny Ainge. This is the single most important reason why the fans turned on Kyrie. He single-handedly torpedoed the master plan.
I know you were in the game threads the last two years. Long before Kyrie derailed the Celtics long term plans there was massive hate going Kyrie's way. That was pretty easy to see across the blog the last two years and especially in the game threads.

really? THERE was cheering for Kyrie in game threads I do not remember any venom against him. The first chink in his armor was his failure to attend all games during the playoff run. I actually called him out on that and there was a barrage of posters that disagreed with me. Almost everyone was excited when he made the commitment in October. I am telling you the rails came off when he would not restate his commitment. He was a key piece to the master plan, when he started getting warm and fuzzy with James and KD Celtic fans began to get nervous, and started lashing out.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2019, 02:05:55 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

* His poor leadership
* His quirky personality

Kyrie didn't single-handedly do anything.  The only master plan was in fans' minds.  Sure Danny wanted AD but he wanted PG before that.  Danny is not one to put all his eggs in one Master Plan basket.  He accumulates assets so he can take advantage of whatever opportunities present themselves. 

But lets says there was this Ainge Master Plan and Kyrie was the key to it.  Kyrie was under no obligation to buy into that Master Plan.  It would have been on Danny to get Kyrie 100% on board with that Master Plan and Danny should have done whatever it took to do so.  Whether that meant trading players (Rozier, Brown ...), replacing Stevens with a coach more to Kyrie's liking or having the Celtics promote whatever weird theories Kyrie became infatuated with.  If someone is that important to your Master Plan, you do what it takes to keep them happy. 

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

* His poor leadership
* His quirky personality

Kyrie didn't single-handedly do anything.  The only master plan was in fans' minds.  Sure Danny wanted AD but he wanted PG before that.  Danny is not one to put all his eggs in one Master Plan basket.  He accumulates assets so he can take advantage of whatever opportunities present themselves. 

But lets says there was this Ainge Master Plan and Kyrie was the key to it.  Kyrie was under no obligation to buy into that Master Plan.  It would have been on Danny to get Kyrie 100% on board with that Master Plan and Danny should have done whatever it took to do so.  Whether that meant trading players (Rozier, Brown ...), replacing Stevens with a coach more to Kyrie's liking or having the Celtics promote whatever weird theories Kyrie became infatuated with.  If someone is that important to your Master Plan, you do what it takes to keep them happy. 

Stop using logic, raw emotion doesn't leave room for logic.

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

* His poor leadership
* His quirky personality

Dude...where in my post did I say Kyrie was the only person to blame? Heck, where did I say I felt any hate or anger at Kyrie? Maybe you disagree with the reasons I listed why people didn't like Kyrie, but those were reasons given by people showing all sorts of dislike Kyrie's way for two years. It's not made up stuff. People have verbalized these things on this blog.
I didn't say anything as to whether you believed any or all of those reasons.  I didn't say you made anything up.  You're correct that many Celtics fans have been making those complaints about Kyrie especially now that he is leaving.  I'm saying those reasons to be angry with Kyrie are nonsense to varying degrees.  The whiny, entitled Celtics fans need to grow a pair and accept the NBA is a players league and specifically a star driven league.   

Kyrie's obligation was to play out his contract which he did.  He wasn't obligated to re-sign with us.  He wasn't obligated to buy into Stevens system.  Kyrie chaffed at being limited by having to fit in with Lebron.  Don't know why any would have thought he'd be happy having to fit into Steven's system. 

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2019, 02:42:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

* His poor leadership
* His quirky personality

I guess you missed the part that I agreed that Kyrie has a right to be a free agent. You also continually miss the part that the fans that pay his way have a right to criticize him as much we want.

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2019, 02:47:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I dont get it. Were 24 hours from the free agency. Kyrie knows where he is going. The classy thing to do is let the team know do they can move on. I get that at this point its an obvious he's leaving, but he could h w told ainge a while ago and he could have operated accordingly..

This whole "maybe I am, maybe I won't" thing was a scam basically middle finger to ainge

First thing is that Kyrie hates the NBA media and does not want them to know anything he plans on doing.

Second is he told everyone "wait until July 1st" which is when we basically all knew that he was out the door.

And then there is the fact that he probably is just a jerk.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2019, 03:12:06 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

* His poor leadership
* His quirky personality

I didn't say anything as to whether you believed any or all of those reasons.  I didn't say you made anything up.  You're correct that many Celtics fans have been making those complaints about Kyrie especially now that he is leaving.  I'm saying those reasons to be angry with Kyrie are nonsense to varying degrees.  The whiny, entitled Celtics fans need to grow a pair and accept the NBA is a players league and specifically a star driven league.   

Kyrie's obligation was to play out his contract which he did.  He wasn't obligated to re-sign with us.  He wasn't obligated to buy into Stevens system.  Kyrie chaffed at being limited by having to fit in with Lebron.  Don't know why any would have thought he'd be happy having to fit into Steven's system.
I'm warning you, that you are putting too much logic into your article and it's not allowed here

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
You know when I tell the company I am working for that I am leaving, when I have the new offer in hand.

He owes us nothing. His contract ran out and he can take as much time or speak to anyone he wants to while deciding his next team. Danny sure does not warn most players before they get traded. It is a two way street.

I bet him and Danny spoke anyways. If not, oh well.

Danny was already making his next few moves. Time for us to move onto Kemba time!

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think he did told Danny at the moment we start chasing Kemba.

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

* His poor leadership
* His quirky personality

Come on, now. If you're getting paid $20M you should "buy in" and you should play hard.

And you should follow up on your commitments. Don't tell the team and fans you're staying if you're going to bolt after some adversity. Whatever problems he had with what was going on on the court should have been fixable - we have the assets and flexibility to do so.

Bottom line is he is a quitter with his own agendas. Which I suppose is his right. But I hope Brooklyn knows what they're in for.

You have to question whether winning is his top priority after watching him bail on both us and the Cavs.