Poll

Would you be willing to include Jaylen Brown in any trade for KAT?

Yes
26 (34.7%)
No
34 (45.3%)
Maybe
15 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Trade idea: Jaylen Brown for Karl-Anthony Towns  (Read 19710 times)

Re: Trade idea: Jaylen Brown for Karl-Anthony Towns
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
After watching JB the 1st 2 games - hell yes.  He is the weakest near the basket player I can ever remember.  Does this kid know how to make a layup?  He can't take a hit and make one if his life depended on it.

And yet he was arguably the best player on the Celtics during the Playoffs.
It's AL and Tatum and it's not close lol
Al sure, but Tatum and Brown were absolutely close overall last year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I don't view Brown as I do Tatum. While Brown is the better defender at this point, there is something missing in his offensive decision making. He shoots the three well, he is inconsistent taking the ball to the rim even with all that athletic ability, and his face-up game is void. Will it develop? I'm not 100% sold.

While Tatum IMO has star written all over him, I see Brown as a solid 2-way player. Honestly, I don't feel he will ever be more valuable than a healthy Gordan Hayward.

The sad part for me is, I hope I'm wrong.

Include him in a trade for Towns? I'd have to say yes.

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Towns is like the anti-Horford, so my initial thought is no thank you.

BUT, as I feel about most players with issues- if there's ever a team, coach, system that can make a player willingly produce more effort, it's in Boston.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
After watching JB the 1st 2 games - hell yes.  He is the weakest near the basket player I can ever remember.  Does this kid know how to make a layup?  He can't take a hit and make one if his life depended on it.

And yet he was arguably the best player on the Celtics during the Playoffs.
It's AL and Tatum and it's not close lol

That just isn't supported by stats or the eye test.  Jaylen Brown was a complete stud in the playoffs on both sides of the ball. 

Two so - so games into this season and people are ready to grab the pitchforks and go after Brown, why am I not surprised? lol

I am not super high on Towns as a player.  I watched a few of his playoff games last year and came away meh...I expected more from him in the playoffs.  Towns in his first playoffs didn't seem to have the extra gear that you want to see in a super-max player.

When we needed Jaylen to step up last year, he absolutely played great. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:39:03 PM by blink »

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2018, 12:06:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm seriously starting to wonder if the Wolves might commit to Butler instead of KAT long-term.

Think about it for a minute. They signed KAT to a 5 year extension, meaning they have him locked up for 6 years total including this year. After that, he is an UFA.

Who would you rather have for the next 6 years? Butler or Towns? With the way Butler takes care of his body, and the advances in modern medicine, I'm starting to think Butler could play at an all-star level through his mid-30s (ala Chris Paul, etc.).

KAT has shown little-to-no ability to help his team win games. He produces, and he has an intriguing talent, but the team has not benefited. Butler, on the other hand, definitely helps his team win games.

And even if they were close in on-court wins over the next 6 years, which player would get you back more?

Butler could get 4 late firsts (that could become seconds) spread out over 7 years, with two injured players

KAT could get much much more. I would think the Celtics would give up the Kings picks, other picks, Morris, Rozier, and Yabu at least. Probably include Brown too. Other teams might give more or less.

The Wolves would be much better with Rozier, Butler, the kings pick, and other players than KAT and late-round picks over the next 6 years.

Here's the narrative that makes sense: Tell Butler that they would like to commit long-term to him with a 5 year max. Make the offer. Get his signature on the condition that the Wolves commit to putting winning, hard-working, talented players around him, starting by trading KAT.

Trade the newly acquired assets, includ Kings pick, for another star (target Gasol, Conley?)

Be ready to compete next year after Durant leaves the Warriors.

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Towns isn't going anywhere.  The owner has made his decision.

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Who would you rather have for the next 6 years? Butler or Towns?

Towns and it's not close.

I understand the arguments that Butler is the better player and the fear that Towns is lazy is real. But what Towns brings to the table as a 23 year old is almost unique unto himself in the NBA. I think you have to stick with the talent and try different ways of making the most of it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »

• Paul Silas
Who would you rather have for the next 6 years? Butler or Towns?

Towns and it's not close.

I understand the arguments that Butler is the better player and the fear that Towns is lazy is real. But what Towns brings to the table as a 23 year old is almost unique unto himself in the NBA. I think you have to stick with the talent and try different ways of making the most of it.

I disagree that it's not close. I do agree about sticking with talent. I do agree that KAT is a unique talent. I'm just saying that you could potentially have either guy for the next 6 years. Butler might give you a better chance to win over that time, even considering their age and potential.

Also, when you consider the trade package you might get for each, it could tip the scales toward keeping Butler.

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Never mind Towns.... Jaylen will not even fetch us a first rounder the way he is playing.

Drives to the hoop and is easily blockable.
Gets to the FT line and bricks his FTs.
Stands in the corner for three but when given the ball.. He bricks it.
Im just about ready to trade him and Rozier for Butler at theis point.

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »

• Paul Silas
Never mind Towns.... Jaylen will not even fetch us a first rounder the way he is playing.

Drives to the hoop and is easily blockable.
Gets to the FT line and bricks his FTs.
Stands in the corner for three but when given the ball.. He bricks it.
Im just about ready to trade him and Rozier for Butler at theis point.

Need gloves for that one ...

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
If KAT becomes available ->

Jaylen Brown + filler or picks for Towns? Who says no?

I voted no simply because I feel like Jaylen has a killer instinct akin to Jimmy Butler, while the Butler situation has made me question KAT's toughness and will to win. KAT is undoubtedly the better player, but I need someone who will sacrifice everything for a win--a dog if you will. Jaylen definitely has pit bull in him, while Towns seems to have the personality of a labrador retriever.

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I voted no simply because I feel like Jaylen has a killer instinct akin to Jimmy Butler,

Boy, you have not watched many games this year because right now that killer instinct this year could not punch through a wet paperbag....

I hope Brown turns it around, though.

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
People are losing their minds. It's just october. Brad will find a good rotation in a few games. Mark my words. Wait at least until we are 15/20 games in the season.

Jaylen is just a little lost about his role. He needs to adapt to the return of Kyrie and Hayward.

I think Brad will eventually put Hayward in the bench, for him to come along slowly and start Baynes with Horford in the paint. This could even happen tomorrow against the Pistons.

I don't think he is gonna start with Tatum and Horford against Blake and Drummond.

With that tweak in the lineup, I think there will be more space in the perimeter. I just think he should cut more instead of stand in the corner. Take a look at some Lakers games and see what Kuzma has been doing.

Almost every time the ball handler penetrates, he makes a baseline cut to the basket. He's been getting easy layups and dunks every game just by doing that. Jaylen should start doing that. 1 or 2 dunks from the baseline would boost his confidence for sure!

Please, don't have a short memory people. Jaylen did a lot for us last year, his sophomore year.

Sorry about my english. Brazilian Celtics fan here, all the way from Rio!

Let's go Celtics!
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
small sample size

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2018, 03:27:26 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Towns is a 7 foot tall unicorn.  I love Jaylen Brown.  But Towns might give us that added dimension that we lack.  So of course I'd trade Brown plus extra for Towns.

However considering Towns just signed a 5 year 190m dollar deal, I don't see him going anywhere.

Anthony Davis would be my target at this point in time.