Author Topic: Who better than Tatum?  (Read 6175 times)

Re: Who better than Tatum?
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think superstars who excel at creating for others as well as themselves will always have a leg up on great individual scorers like Tatum.  Next after that would be guys who are elite scorers and also change the game defensively, e.g. Embiid or Kawhi.

For young(ish) playmakers I would list Doncic, Giannis, Jokic, to name a few.

But Tatum has clearly shown he can be in that top tier or on the verge of it.  If you have the right team around him and you get a lucky playoff draw, team gets hot, etc, that could be enough for a title run.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2021, 11:13:21 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Tatum loses out to Jokić for me.

My reasoning is very simple: Does Tatum pass the eye test?

Does he have the "this man is seven feet tall and looks like he's perpetually waking up from a nap and my goodness he's passing like Jason Williams and he may force me to admit, on pain of death, that athleisure is, in fact, the most superior style of clothing for formal events" factor?

I would submit that he does not.

Jokić has this in spades.

However, in the absence of Jokić, Tatum is all right. I suppose. He's fine.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2021, 11:51:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nick Wright says 11 clearly ahead. With Butler and 2 others also

Tatum in that 15 to 24 range

I would say probably around 15 is accurate

It can be argued between Tatum, Mitchell, Bam... its pretty close

Gotta read the original post. Taking Mitchell or Bam over Tatum is insane.

How is it insane?

Bam was the 2nd best player in the Celts Heat series. Top calibre defensive player

Mitchell is one of the best clutch/4th quarter players in the league

Bam is still raw offensively and he doesn’t space the floor. Mitchell is an undersized SG at 6’1”. Tatum is a better two way player than both of those guys.

Mitchell is not 6'1. He is 6'3 

Mitchell might be smaller but he is more consistent on D end imo.  His out of nowhere blocks, rebounds are impressive. Tatum has a higher defensive ceiling. 

Bam doesn't need to be able to shoot the 3 to make him a good offensive player.  He is a topnotch passer for his position (and edge over Tatum).   His handles are good for his position. He has added a mid range step back. 

And again, is a candidate for DPOY

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2021, 12:06:30 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

How is it insane?

Bam was the 2nd best player in the Celts Heat series. Top calibre defensive player

Bam is still raw offensively and he doesn’t space the floor. Mitchell is an undersized SG at 6’1”. Tatum is a better two way player than both of those guys.

Mitchell might be smaller but he is more consistent on D end imo.  His out of nowhere blocks, rebounds are impressive. Tatum has a higher defensive ceiling. 

Bam doesn't need to be able to shoot the 3 to make him a good offensive player.  He is a topnotch passer for his position (and edge over Tatum).   His handles are good for his position. He has added a mid range step back. 

Well, ESPN has him listed at 6’1” which looks completely accurate to me. He’s not 6’3”. Bradley Beal is 6’3” and is clearly taller than Mitchell is.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3908809/donovan-mitchell
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
OP, I'd take Luke and Jokic, and probably no one else.

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2021, 12:51:18 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

How is it insane?

Mitchell is 6'1. He was listed as 6'3 before the nba required actual barefoot measurements.

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2021, 12:51:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Tatum is the best we have and top 15 maybe top 10 in the NBA.....

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2021, 12:51:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

How is it insane?

Well, ESPN has him listed at 6’1” which looks completely accurate to me. He’s not 6’3”. Bradley Beal is 6’3” and is clearly taller than Mitchell is.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3908809/donovan-mitchell

RW is listed at 6'3. Looks more like 6'3.5 but anyways....look at pic below. Mitchell is just a hair shorter