Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 456183 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #705 on: March 22, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
actually, this is an interesting thread for me since it involves defining community, and i am a member.

someone asked earlier if many folks get banned from cb. but i did not see a reply from the mods. (and if you dont hear from me soon, we can assume asking that question is considered a problem to the mods. :) )

i would think that any community that is a community has limits and the point is that not everyone is allowed. the real rub comes when decisions must be made on who draws the lines, why, and how. tough stuff to do.

final note....

let me  say here that i think the mods do a very very good job of letting folks talk, discuss, quarrel, moan, and enjoy the celtics....while at the same time not monopolizing threads or bullying posters.

thank you all very much....and please dont ban me for my earlier question.

no one is perfect....well, except for me of course.   ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #706 on: March 22, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
actually, this is an interesting thread for me since it involves defining community, and i am a member.

someone asked earlier if many folks get banned from cb. but i did not see a reply from the mods. (and if you dont hear from me soon, we can assume asking that question is considered a problem to the mods. :) )

Chris answered the question, and I actually cited my estimate earlier in the thread.  We both came up with "a handful or less", excluding spammers and trolls.  I'd say five is probably a bit on the high side, but it's right around that number.  Of the members we've permanently banned, all of them involved heavy discussion by the mod staff, and in almost all cases, involved multiple second-chances.  Fundamentally, we hate banning somebody for a first offense, although in some circumstances, it might be warranted for a severe violation of our rules (i.e., posting p0rnography, severe personal attacks, etc.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #707 on: March 22, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

I'm always happy to get PMs from members, and I do my best to respond back to them in a timely manner.  However, I've been a bit swamped in my personal life, so if I take longer than folks would like, please try to be understanding.

You mean Jeff doesn't have you strapped to a chair in front of your laptop with your eyelids taped up so that you can be a moderator here 24/7?

« Reply #708 on: March 22, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I think a large contingency of people just got owned.

Not helping.   

:(

Sorry. But I don't think there's anything to be helped. If you believe Dons post (which I do) then the reality is that no amount of negotiation and explication will remedy this situation. Its drama. Drama over the fact that certain people like to be privy to information, especially information that they are explicitly denied... not to mention all the other stuff Dons outlined.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #709 on: March 22, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

I'm always happy to get PMs from members, and I do my best to respond back to them in a timely manner.  However, I've been a bit swamped in my personal life, so if I take longer than folks would like, please try to be understanding.

You mean Jeff doesn't have you strapped to a chair in front of your laptop with your eyelids taped up so that you can be a moderator here 24/7?

I hope it's okay to give a TP for the Kubrick reference in this thread.   ;)

« Reply #710 on: March 22, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
It's a Blog!!!

« Reply #711 on: March 22, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It's a Blog!!!

It's a blog and a window cleaner too
Yup

« Reply #712 on: March 22, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #713 on: August 01, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I apologize for the celeb death pool thread. Especially to anyone who lost someone close to them recently. Had I had a crystal ball and known people would dislike it so much I wouldn't have done that.

« Reply #714 on: January 02, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Just an observation, but in my memory we were previously able to discuss Brandon Spikes' adult internet video till it ran its course, but the Rex Ryan thread was locked after two posts.  Not that I wanted to talk about Rex cause I definitely don't.  So um. Thanks for locking that thread Roy

« Reply #715 on: January 02, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just an observation, but in my memory we were previously able to discuss Brandon Spikes' adult internet video till it ran its course, but the Rex Ryan thread was locked after two posts.  Not that I wanted to talk about Rex cause I definitely don't.  So um. Thanks for locking that thread Roy

A couple things:

1) With the Spikes thread, the original poster went out of his way *not* to mention details, and didn't link to anything provocative.  The thread was along the lines of "something happened with Spikes, should the Pats do anything about it?"  In a situation like that, where all of the salacious details are left out and it directly relates to a local player, I think it's good practice to monitor the thread;

2) The thread, as mild as it was phrased, still elicited a lot of responses that conflict with our rules, including some innuendo, etc.  It's likely that if it lasted longer, it would have been locked (the thread made it about 11 hours before dying).

We don't like gossip on here, especially when it's of a sexual nature.  That's why the Ryan thread, as well as the multitude of Delonte threads, were all locked.  If people like unsavory details of celebrities' lives, there is always TMZ.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #716 on: January 30, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I wish we could have a history section where we could be like "Who's your favorite founding father" and "Who's the best US general" and what was the best invention prior to sliced bread

Oh wait, This was a stupid place to post this.

« Reply #717 on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Rule #1 on the list

Respect each other at all times.  This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.

Clearly not followed in the recent locking.

« Reply #718 on: March 13, 2011, 09:06:27 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Bahku, I'm glad you learned a lesson, but this post seems more appropriate for a "check in here if you've seen the light" thread.  I'm past the point in my life of getting drunk and feeling like it's a badge of honor to do so too. But if someone's enjoying a good buzz and wants to let us know about it, they probably aren't going to be too receptive to hearing about the evils of alcohol.  I don't think we're looking "room spinning" drunks in this thread.  They're clearly coherent enough to express themselves and find the "post" button etc....

If you're intent was not to come across as "holier than thou" I'm not sure you succeeded. 

I don't want to make a big stink about it. I just think sometimes things are best left unsaid (or said in a different place perhaps).
Yup

« Reply #719 on: March 13, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bahku, I'm glad you learned a lesson, but this post seems more appropriate for a "check in here if you've seen the light" thread.  I'm past the point in my life of getting drunk and feeling like it's a badge of honor to do so too. But if someone's enjoying a good buzz and wants to let us know about it, they probably aren't going to be too receptive to hearing about the evils of alcohol.  I don't think we're looking "room spinning" drunks in this thread.  They're clearly coherent enough to express themselves and find the "post" button etc....

If you're intent was not to come across as "holier than thou" I'm not sure you succeeded.  

I don't want to make a big stink about it. I just think sometimes things are best left unsaid (or said in a different place perhaps).

It was meant as a funny story about an experience I had in my youth, and a lesson learned, and done tongue-in-cheek and with humor. I never EVER express myself in a way that's meant as "holier than thou", (in fact, I'm probably one of the most self-deprecating people on this blog), as I made it very clear that I have my own demons, (which are much worse, by the way).

I shared a unpleasant experience in order to give others a chuckle or maybe a little insight into the struggles of youth, and you somehow found offense in it. You took something I meant as a humorous story, and turned it into me making some sort of social statement that I've "seen the light", yet I know you're intelligent enough to know what my real intent was.

Whatever ... I'll remove my post, as I obviously am not capable of expressing myself in the way I intend to, but it stinks when people can't accept a story for what it is, and have to take it apart for the sake of knocking the author down a peg. I honestly don't see any positive purpose for your reply here, other than trying to make what I was sharing into something to criticize me with.

I guess you feel that I don't qualify for posting in this thread, so I'll refrain from doing so from now on. Lesson learned ... but I'm surprised this came from you. Funny, but when someone claims they "don't want to make a big stink" about something, is usually the best indication that they really do.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:18:07 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *