Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 456066 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #690 on: March 22, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Alright, I was otherwise disposed from things CB-related when this discussion initially broke out last week but I’m going to toss in my two cents on this whole matter and I’m going to be rather blunt about it.

This thread is created for constructive criticism and open discussion among posters concerning this blog.  I’m glad we have this and I encourage its use.   People shouldn’t feel threatened to post in here out of fear of staff retribution.  Please, point out one instance where a poster has gotten tossed from Celticsblog for expressing their opinion in here.  So this fear that some are supposedly living in is rather unfounded.

I’m reading about a perception problem that we’re facing but I’m having trouble locking down where exactly its coming from and what it exactly is.  Let’s see some good old-fashioned concrete examples rather than this vagueness that I seem to be seeing.   Also, I don’t think perception is a big problem if one does exact.  Speaking for myself, I try and do google searches every once & awhile to see what discussion is going on out there concerning Celticsblog and specifically staff members.  I’m not reading or seeing a whole lot of discourse out there.   What I often find are individuals who have been banned here for one reason or another venting or attacking our site.  I can tell you that these individuals were dismissed for genuine rules violations one way or another.  We know who a lot of these people are.   Their banishments were discussed by multiple staff members before being instituted.  We don’t just “flash-ban” people unless they’re obvious trolls or spammers.  Matters are discussed between staff before any judgment is rendered.  This prevents one staff member from going on a “power-trip”. 

I get the sense that people are more eager to “glance behind the curtain” or involve themselves in some unmitigated drama than to really “uphold the blog to its core values”.    Some love to just stir the pot and will use any instance (in this case Nick’s screen-name situation) to jump in and harp on things.  This usually leads others to follow and, hence,  the multiple pages of dialogue.  I think this ombudsman idea stems from this more than anything.  People want to “glance behind the curtain”.  People seem to think there is this huge inner-working going on between staff members and there are conspiracy theories and such; we’re ganging up on people or suppressing certain individual rights.   I’m reading  about PMs going around expressing that so & so is going on and the items there are so utterly false.  To be clear to everyone, Nick was never a moderator.  He never had moderator powers.   He was simply given the title of HOF editor and was granted some room to work with.  He has never been able to moderate threads or significantly boost TP counts.   We all know that isn’t the only conspiracy theory going around but seems to be at the core of what created this storm.

In relation to that last paragraph, we don’t discuss specific user matters with the general public both as a service to the individual and the idea that airing things in public just creates a lot of unnecessary drama.  People want to see drama?  Go to the ESPN or CBS Sportsline message boards and see how well things going when every little thing is being aired in public.

I don’t know how much of this current drama stems from it but I know in the past that there have been those who have felt overlooked when new staff members are chosen and have taken this “slight” as a grounds to carry a chip on their shoulder.    I don’t know what to tell you besides swallow your pride and live with it.  It’s a moderator post on an internet website messageboard.  There’s not a lot of glory there.  If its substantial enough to really boost your ego, I advise you to step back and really take a look at it more closely.  There’s not a whole lot of honor there.    We take on staff when we feel there is a need and we look at several candidates and try to make a decision that we feel is the best one.  Posters get slighted.  Sorry, but it happens.   I can tell you that a lot of discussion goes into it but not everyone is going to be a moderator. 

To wrap things up,  I think this whole ombudsman idea is more of a cover for the real issue which is either the fascination with drama on an internet message board or the fact that some people really want to know everything that is going on and are frustrated that they don’t know everything that goes on here aka the whole “glance behind the curtain thing”.   If there is truly a perception problem and it’s a big problem, please present the examples or make concrete criticisms here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #691 on: March 22, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Wow Don, next time can you break that into chapters?  ;D ;)

« Reply #692 on: March 22, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow Don, next time can you break that into chapters?  ;D ;)

Yeah, my apologies on length.  Just had to put it out there.

I'm never that long with posts, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #693 on: March 22, 2010, 03:13:15 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Alright, I was otherwise disposed from things CB-related when this discussion initially broke out last week but I’m going to toss in my two cents on this whole matter and I’m going to be rather blunt about it.

This thread is created for constructive criticism and open discussion among posters concerning this blog.  I’m glad we have this and I encourage its use.   People shouldn’t feel threatened to post in here out of fear of staff retribution.  Please, point out one instance where a poster has gotten tossed from Celticsblog for expressing their opinion in here.  So this fear that some are supposedly living in is rather unfounded.

I’m reading about a perception problem that we’re facing but I’m having trouble locking down where exactly its coming from and what it exactly is.  Let’s see some good old-fashioned concrete examples rather than this vagueness that I seem to be seeing.   Also, I don’t think perception is a big problem if one does exact.  Speaking for myself, I try and do google searches every once & awhile to see what discussion is going on out there concerning Celticsblog and specifically staff members.  I’m not reading or seeing a whole lot of discourse out there.   What I often find are individuals who have been banned here for one reason or another venting or attacking our site.  I can tell you that these individuals were dismissed for genuine rules violations one way or another.  We know who a lot of these people are.   Their banishments were discussed by multiple staff members before being instituted.  We don’t just “flash-ban” people unless they’re obvious trolls or spammers.  Matters are discussed between staff before any judgment is rendered.  This prevents one staff member from going on a “power-trip”. 

I get the sense that people are more eager to “glance behind the curtain” or involve themselves in some unmitigated drama than to really “uphold the blog to its core values”.    Some love to just stir the pot and will use any instance (in this case Nick’s screen-name situation) to jump in and harp on things.  This usually leads others to follow and, hence,  the multiple pages of dialogue.  I think this ombudsman idea stems from this more than anything.  People want to “glance behind the curtain”.  People seem to think there is this huge inner-working going on between staff members and there are conspiracy theories and such; we’re ganging up on people or suppressing certain individual rights.   I’m reading  about PMs going around expressing that so & so is going on and the items there are so utterly false.  To be clear to everyone, Nick was never a moderator.  He never had moderator powers.   He was simply given the title of HOF editor and was granted some room to work with.  He has never been able to moderate threads or significantly boost TP counts.   We all know that isn’t the only conspiracy theory going around but seems to be at the core of what created this storm.

In relation to that last paragraph, we don’t discuss specific user matters with the general public both as a service to the individual and the idea that airing things in public just creates a lot of unnecessary drama.  People want to see drama?  Go to the ESPN or CBS Sportsline message boards and see how well things going when every little thing is being aired in public.

I don’t know how much of this current drama stems from it but I know in the past that there have been those who have felt overlooked when new staff members are chosen and have taken this “slight” as a grounds to carry a chip on their shoulder.    I don’t know what to tell you besides swallow your pride and live with it.  It’s a moderator post on an internet website messageboard.  There’s not a lot of glory there.  If its substantial enough to really boost your ego, I advise you to step back and really take a look at it more closely.  There’s not a whole lot of honor there.    We take on staff when we feel there is a need and we look at several candidates and try to make a decision that we feel is the best one.  Posters get slighted.  Sorry, but it happens.   I can tell you that a lot of discussion goes into it but not everyone is going to be a moderator. 

To wrap things up,  I think this whole ombudsman idea is more of a cover for the real issue which is either the fascination with drama on an internet message board or the fact that some people really want to know everything that is going on and are frustrated that they don’t know everything that goes on here aka the whole “glance behind the curtain thing”.   If there is truly a perception problem and it’s a big problem, please present the examples or make concrete criticisms here.

I think a large contingency of people just got owned.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #694 on: March 22, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im not really going to get into this discussion/debate, but feel the need to say one thing......

if you have any dealings on the blog that ur unhappy, displeased, or any other negative feeling/experience.....you can reach out to hobbsy.  i have nothing but good things to say about him.  he is able to look at things objectively and fairly. he will take into account your thoughts/feelings, yet will remain fair and maintain the blog's integrity.  he will tell you the truth, with no underlying messages or misconstrued information, but will do so respectfully. you will always be respected and know exactly where u stand.....for me personally, thats all i want.

ive been a member for yeras here and he is someone i can personally vouch for and will continue to do so.  he's a great mod, and an even better man.

edit--->  im not saying other mods dont do their job, im just letting people know if they have any issues, i can recommend hobbsy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:21:33 PM by dark_lord »

« Reply #695 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:57 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

My eyes got owned... is there a maximum number of characters allowed for a post? I would have though this would exceed it.

TP to you Dons just for the effort... I'll read that later.

« Reply #696 on: March 22, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I would have to say that if an ombudsman were to be elected, it would have to be a unanimous choice.  

The way I understand this, among some members of the community, there is a distrust of the staff in general.  There is a perception by some people that we are not always being fair.  Is that correct?

So, if we are going to correct this by making a non-staff-member privy to private discussions, then that non-staff-member needs to be more respected by every member of the site, or else that person's assurances will be taken with the same grain of salt that is afforded the staff, and we are right back where we started, except, we have compromised the privacy of the posters by allowing a non-staff-member to be privy to the private discussions of the staff, regarding these posters.

Just out of curiosity, how many people get banned or suspended from this blog? Is this a rampant issue?

Absolutely not.  I hesitate to put a number on it off the top of my head, but other than spammers, I would guess you could count the number of posters who have been banned in the last year on one hand...and for suspensions, you probably would not need to take off your shoes.

Then I'd call this much ado about nothing.

By the way, this is an interesting topic. Not only an I not an "insider", but it turns out that I'm not even an "outsider", where people would send me PMs to warn me about admins run amok and other such things. What's the next level? Outlier? Deep-space satellite?

Find Waldo, I highlighted him.

Great, now it looks like I'm using red in my posts. I'm sure one of the mods has claimed that color to be his own, and he's sure to see my post in a thread like this. Is there a suspension in my future? If so, exactly when is this ombudman proposal going to be a reality? Are there Celticsblog defense attorneys (cue Roy and others quickly looking away, like when Eddie Murphy asks of anyone here's a lawyer in Trading Places)?

« Reply #697 on: March 22, 2010, 03:18:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Not helping.   

:(

« Reply #698 on: March 22, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
im not really going to get into this discussion/debate, but feel the need to say one thing......

if you have any dealings on the blog that ur unhappy, displeased, or any other negative feeling/experience.....you can reach out to hobbsy.  i have nothing but good things to say about him.  he is able to look at things objectively and fairly. he will take into account your thoughts/feelings, yet will remain fair and maintain the blog's integrity.  he will tell you the truth, with no underlying messages or misconstrued information, but will do so respectfully. you will always be respected and know exactly where u stand.....for me personally, thats all i want.

ive been a member for yeras here and he is someone i can personally vouch for and will continue to do so.  he's a great mod, and an even better man.

Hobbs, did you hack into DL's account?

lol jk!  ;)

I completely agree, with everything that has been going on lately, Roy has been great.

TP to both of you!

« Reply #699 on: March 22, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
I am taking bets that by page 55 I am nominated as the ombudsman .....and by tomorrow PM I have whittled down membership levels to the point my title is quickly removed and I am once again banished to one of the outer planets....Uranus perhaps...do to do battle with Kirk....

« Reply #700 on: March 22, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

edit--->  im not saying other mods dont do their job, im just letting people know if they have any issues, i can recommend hobbsy.

Thanks, d_l.  I'm definitely flattered.  I'm glad you added the edit, though, because the staff is filled with great folks who take concerns seriously.

I'm always happy to get PMs from members, and I do my best to respond back to them in a timely manner.  However, I've been a bit swamped in my personal life, so if I take longer than folks would like, please try to be understanding.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #701 on: March 22, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I am taking bets that by page 55 I am nominated as the ombudsman .....and by tomorrow PM I have whittled down membership levels to the point my title is quickly removed and I am once again banished to one of the outer planets....Uranus perhaps...do to do battle with Kirk....

KHAN!!!

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #702 on: March 22, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Thanks, d_l.  I'm definitely flattered.  I'm glad you added the edit, though, because the staff is filled with great folks who take concerns seriously.

I'm always happy to get PMs from members, and I do my best to respond back to them in a timely manner.  However, I've been a bit swamped in my personal life, so if I take longer than folks would like, please try to be understanding.

You mean Jeff doesn't have you strapped to a chair in front of your laptop with your eyelids taped up so that you can be a moderator here 24/7?

« Reply #703 on: March 22, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

You mean Jeff doesn't have you strapped to a chair in front of your laptop with your eyelids taped up so that you can be a moderator here 24/7?

I believe Jeff reserves that for staff that abandon their posts and go into witness protection and assume a new name.   ;)

« Reply #704 on: March 22, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

lol... that's how I always thought it worked.