Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 456369 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #615 on: March 19, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm not going to get lured in to discussing my views of the blog so I can get punished.

Sigh...  I hope this was dry humor.  I think it's pretty clear that we don't "punish" people for voicing their opinions or giving dissenting views.  If we did, don't you think you'd know about it by now?  I mean, you were one of the first people to criticize the staff in the original thread.  Did any staff member contact you and tell you to hush up?  Did anybody threaten you with discipline?

No, they didn't.  Why?  Because we don't do that sort of thing on here.  Members are "punished" because they break rules, not because they voice their opinion.

I do take it from your comment that you're unhappy here. (The fact that you don't want to discuss your views of the blog suggests that those views are negative ones).  I think that's unfortunate, but without specific feedback, I'm not sure what we can do to make things better for you. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #616 on: March 19, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I have been here since the very beginning....longer than almost anyone.....I knew Jeff before he started this place......and before he knew Jeff

And before human race.

most worked out and some didn't)

but I tried..really. :-[

Invariably mods become friends but not exclusive friends.

:'(

http://Even if there were secret meetings going on with mods and favoritism was being overtly and purposely used to disrespect others or make them feel inferior it's really nobody's flippin business

But there were only 2 beers with redz....well 3  :P

He is instead just a mild mannered guy who has  done a really good job in putting together a good solid staff that is both fair and reasonable.

And me.

he wouldn't play favorites - not even with me (I make myself sound really so very important)

Darn ....... you were my winning card.

Well there is only really three things to do @ Celticsblog........ trade Celtic trade tag idea lines, Celtic Playoff fun time and finally keep Celtic hope alive in the summertime while sipping on green moonshine

And ask Edgar, talk about squirrels, bacon, off topic things, talk about chuck norris, elephants, play fantasy games.... ;D
And specially mess with Old ladies posts.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #617 on: March 19, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I have been here since the very beginning....longer than almost anyone.....I knew Jeff before he started this place......and before he knew Jeff

The reason this blog thing "took off" and became something highly successful was because of the tireless hours of Jeff's work, Hagrid' support and then others came along who helped as well. Jeff has devoted so many hours to this blog it's uncountable. Some people like Hobbs, G17, and so many others have carried lots of water in here for free....so many hours and lots of work.

As this site grew a mod "staff" was needed.....there was no need for stiff formality and staffing rules as Jeff picked people he thought were trustworthy and level-headed enough to help him manage this "success". (most worked out and some didn't) In turn some of the people Jeff chose in turn asked other people who seem like-minded and level headed if they wanted to help. Invariably people choose people who they think will fit nicely and do the work asked with out creating more problems than they solve. Invariably mods become friends but not exclusive friends.

This blog isn't the government!!!!!, this isn't a private corporation having to adhere with Equal Opportunity rules and state/fed statutory regulations governing every aspect of hiring people, firing people, censoring people, etc. because there isn't any MONEY or employment contracts. It's a BLOG!!!!!!!

Even if there were secret meetings going on with mods and favoritism was being overtly and purposely used to disrespect others or make them feel inferior it's really nobody's flippin business except for Jeff's!!!! If people didn't like it they could simply move on and should move on IMO (change the channel if you will). I suspect most people (>99%) won't do that because they enjoy the site in the context in which they use the site. I am guessing the people who did not find what they wanted have moved on already and those still here but still complaining do that very same thing in all aspects of their lives.....

Jeff is too nice to let any shenanigans go on (however Jeff is not a saint LOL) He is instead just a mild mannered guy who has  done a really good job in putting together a good solid staff that is both fair and reasonable.

While I no longer hold much of a position around here anymore (mainly my own choice) I can say that when I step out of line I am called out for it by forum mods. I could pull rank and go over everybody's head and go directly to Jeff....... but..... despite Jeff and I having a close relationship I would never do that....... and even if I did he would somehow find a nice but firm way to make me pay the price for whatever I did.... if it was called for - he wouldn't play favorites - not even with me (I make myself sound really so very important).

The bottom line for me is that if you feel this sight is not treating you right, or not being "fair" or playing favorites, or whatever you can't stand (and you can't seem to resolve it to your own satisfaction) then just move on please! - quickly, quietly and without anger. All people don't fit in all places.

This is site about the Boston Celtics and at the end of the day it should be fun and if it isn't fun then please just call it a day and go.

A line from an old movie I like......."There are only three things around here to do: coal mine, moonshine or move it on down the line"

Well there is only really three things to do @ Celticsblog........ trade Celtic trade tag idea lines, Celtic Playoff fun time and finally keep Celtic hope alive in the summertime while sipping on green moonshine

Peace

Po, you'll always be in my personal "in crowd".  I wish I could entice you to post more in the forums. ;)  Next time we have a top secret meeting, you can come as an invited guest.  Until then, we'll just keep your retired jersey hanging from the rafters of IP's garage.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #618 on: March 19, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I believe there is a silent majority who believes there is an in crowd and there is a big time segregation happening on this blog.
What sort of segregation do you mean?

I don't really understand, posters post in a lot of different areas and have different friendships. That is unavoidable, what would you have us change?

Unless you had a mod staff that just stayed out of the blog and just enforced rules I don't see how you can avoid the fact that we have friendships in the blog and make jokes. I wouldn't want to spend as much time here as modhood requires if I couldn't keep participating like I always have.

« Reply #619 on: March 19, 2010, 08:13:39 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
pssst: please don't tell PO that he can pretty much get away with anything in here - he's got enough leash to hang all of you
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #620 on: March 19, 2010, 08:16:31 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
this thread would be more fun to read if it was done like twitter and everyone was limited to 120 characters

wait for it

but PO is enough of a character for everyone

thank you, I'll be here all week - tip Marcus Landry

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #621 on: March 19, 2010, 08:28:20 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
You guys are ganging up on me to chew me out just as I said you would... so now I'm done with this thread too. Sorry.

« Reply #622 on: March 19, 2010, 08:35:01 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
ok, in all seriousness, here's my general response to all this

- the mods are doing a great job and have my wholehearted support
- that said, we can't please everyone, but we try (sometimes too hard)
- if anyone has a specific concern or complaint, I have an open door (feel free to PM me) - of course, as has been pointed out, I'm not perfect either, but oh well

so be good to each other, respect everyone, and ask not what the blog can do for you, but ask what you can do for the blog

and all that :)

« Reply #623 on: March 19, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
You guys are ganging up on me to chew me out just as I said you would... so now I'm done with this thread too. Sorry.

By "chew you out", you mean respond to your comments?  I don't see anything even remotely inappropriate anybody on the staff did.  In my mind, it's 100% permissible for people to disagree with you, so long as it's done respectfully.

However, if this is the type of commentary you take for persecution, I guess I understand why you're less comfortable here than you'd like to be.  You've accused the staff of some pretty poor behavior, with no evidence.  It seems that what you're seeing is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy; you want to notice staff misconduct, and that's exactly what you're seeing.  It's disappointing and, in my mind, imaginary and unsupported, but you're entitled to your opinion.

As far as an "in crowd", wouldn't a poster with over 1000 TPs (many of which were given by the staff) and a 2.6 post to TP ratio be perceived by others as being in the "in crowd"?  Would that be a fair characterization?  I'm assuming that you don't think you're in that group.  Why, then, criticize the staff for a perception that they can't do anything about?

I don't really know what else to say, other than I hope things improve for you here. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:05:00 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #624 on: March 19, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate post.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:10:35 PM by barefacedmonk »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #625 on: March 19, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Should we elect a delegate to respond as one voice? You are asking questions as one person, to a bunch of people.  If you get several responses it's because there are several of us.
Yup

« Reply #626 on: March 19, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

This blog isn't the government!!!!!, this isn't a private corporation having to adhere with Equal Opportunity rules and state/fed statutory regulations governing every aspect of hiring people, firing people, censoring people, etc. because there isn't any MONEY or employment contracts. It's a BLOG!!!!!!!

Even if there were secret meetings going on with mods and favoritism was being overtly and purposely used to disrespect others or make them feel inferior it's really nobody's flippin business except for Jeff's!!!! If people didn't like it they could simply move on and should move on...

Master Po, I love your posts and respect your point of views/ideas/opinions...but I don't agree with some parts of your last post(in quotes). I mean, one of the reasons for this blog's success, other than the ones you mentioned, is the number of members it has....is asking everyone who is disgruntled, for any reason, to move on the best way to keep it successful? A blog's or any website's success is measured by the amount of traffic it generates (there are other factors too). I agree its a blog and not a government or private corporation...but if the blog has rules and there are punishments handed out for breaking the rules...then don't you think members are allowed to question some decisions of the staff if they feel something has been overlooked/ treated differently? Is "my way or the highway" approach the best way to deal with any problem?

I'm sorry if I offended you with anything I posted here.

Peace.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #627 on: March 19, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

I'm not going to get lured in to discussing my views of the blog so I can get punished.

Sigh...  I hope this was dry humor.  I think it's pretty clear that we don't "punish" people for voicing their opinions or giving dissenting views.  If we did, don't you think you'd know about it by now?  I mean, you were one of the first people to criticize the staff in the original thread.  Did any staff member contact you and tell you to hush up?  Did anybody threaten you with discipline?

No, they didn't.  Why?  Because we don't do that sort of thing on here.  Members are "punished" because they break rules, not because they voice their opinion.

I do take it from your comment that you're unhappy here. (The fact that you don't want to discuss your views of the blog suggests that those views are negative ones).  I think that's unfortunate, but without specific feedback, I'm not sure what we can do to make things better for you. 

That is untrue, Roy.

- I did not criticize the staff... I asked why the rules were being bent, considering Nick was allowed to use two accounts. I thought Nick was using both accounts simultaneously. For the most part I was wrong and I rescinded my comment. Therefore, I made the mistake and was no longer being critical of the mods.

I enjoy it here and don't know why you think I am unhappy here. I have people on this blog who I consider my friends. With that being said I am not a moderator and have no control over things like punishment of others and multiple TP awards. I think it is weird that a bunch of people had their TP totals jump, I believe while Nick had mod abilities. Shortly after this Nick left the blog... and then as it turns out he never left at all. What really happened there? If he really wanted a fresh start, why did he decide to leave the PLamb account and go back to nickagneta.

By the way you guys are right, you didn't chew me out I was letting my anger towards this issue get the best of me.

- I don't see why you guys can't admit that the joking behavior between you guys can be seen by other blog members as being in a mocking fashion.

I have said time and time again that I'm done posting in these threads, but I take it back. I'll continue to post here as long as you guys allow me to.

I think a good fix, something I have seen on other blogs, would be a rotation of mods. People vote on who they want to be mods and we switch them up every once in a while. I know you guys will likely dismiss this recommendation like you do to everything else that has been recommended thus far in this argument... but at least I'm trying to help improve this place.

« Reply #628 on: March 19, 2010, 09:18:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I enjoy it here and don't know why you think I am unhappy here. I have people on this blog who I consider my friends.

My assumption came from your statement that if you gave your opinion about the blog, you'd be disciplined.  If your opinion was positive, my thinking was that you wouldn't be concerned about getting punished.

With that being said I am not a moderator and have no control over things like punishment of others and multiple TP awards. I think it is weird that a bunch of people had their TP totals jump, I believe while Nick had mod abilities. Shortly after this Nick left the blog... and then as it turns out he never left at all. What really happened there? If he really wanted a fresh start, why did he decide to leave the PLamb account and go back to nickagneta.

To be clear, nick *never* had mod powers.  He was given a title, and the ability to make edits to the Hall of Fame forum.  That's it.  He never had the ability to discipline, to edit posts in the non-HOF forums, to give multiple TPs, etc.

I don't see why you guys can't admit that the joking behavior between you guys can be seen by other blog members as being in a mocking fashion.

I guess I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think IP meant anything by it.  To a lot of us, the suggestions of mod collusion / an "in crowd" are silly, so the national reaction is to joke.  However, it's meant in good fun, rather than as mocking.

I have said time and time again that I'm done posting in these threads, but I take it back. I'll continue to post here as long as you guys allow me to.

Personally, I'm glad you give your opinion.  As we've all said, it's feedback that helps us improve.

I think a good fix, something I have seen on other blogs, would be a rotation of mods. People vote on who they want to be mods and we switch them up every once in a while. I know you guys will likely dismiss this recommendation like you do to everything else that has been recommended thus far in this argument... but at least I'm trying to help improve this place.

Question:  how would mods who are elected make the blog run better?  Much like politicians, isn't there a concern that mods who are elected would pander to those voting for them, rather than enforcing the rules?

« Reply #629 on: March 19, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

- I don't see why you guys can't admit that the joking behavior between you guys can be seen by other blog members as being in a mocking fashion.

I'm not saying it couldn't be seen that way. I'm just kind of surprised and disappointed some would take it like that. I was basically just trying to bring some levity to things, while at the same time making it clear that the idea that we (the mods) play favorites is so far from the truth that it is kind of ridiculous.

Obviously we would never meet at Roy's house. He just moved, it's all boxes. We meet at Edgar's.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner