Author Topic: Kanter pulling a Lopez  (Read 12174 times)

Re: Kanter pulling a Lopez
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 12:36:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't think Kanter will be an issue.

It's a given Kanter will not disappoint us.

The problem is the Celts still need another star player.

If the Celts add a guy like Kevin Love or acquire a player like Bradley Beal, Kanter will prosper even more.

Just don't expect Kanter to be like Horford when it comes to pick and roll defense.

Disagree

Celts have the talent

Kevin Love?

Cmon now

Like I said, it's the Celtics that don't believe they have enough talent to match the elite teams like the Bucks and Sixers.

According to Bulpett of the Herald, Celts are not done dealing.
That means the Celts are still looking to upgrade.

If not Love then it will be another star player.

Star power wins in the NBA.
love has not played more than 60 games in any of the past 3 years.  he is now on the wrong side of 30 years old.  his scoring, rebounding, and shooting percentages last year were down from his career averages.

i am not convinced he is a good investment for the celtics.

Back in 2016, Celts gave Horford 28m per year even when Horford was already 30 years old and he was averaging career lows in rebounding the last 2 seasons with the Hawks and his scoring was down to 15.2 ppg.

If Kevin Love didn't have a down year last season, I don't think he would be available right now.

Only reason why Love is available is because of the bad season he had last year.

Kevin Love could thrive under Brad Stevens.

What about his god awful contract?

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 12:37:23 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
If Kevin Love didn't have a down year last season, I don't think he would be available right now.

Only reason why Love is available is because of the bad season he had last year.
If he had a good year last year he'd be just as available, the Cavs would be a high lottery team even if he wasn't injured.

The Cavs would just be asking for a lot more. By all media reports teams have made offers to the Cavs, but the league is valuing his contract as a negative to neutral value. The Cavs want to get draft picks or players back, not just offload the salary.

I partly agree.

That means it would not be practical for the Celts to go after him because the price is too high.

Right now the Cavs don't have leverage because of Love's down year last season.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

If the Celts add a guy like Kevin Love or acquire a player like Bradley Beal, Kanter will prosper even more.

Just don't expect Kanter to be like Horford when it comes to pick and roll defense.

Disagree

Celts have the talent

Kevin Love?

Cmon now

Like I said, it's the Celtics that don't believe they have enough talent to match the elite teams like the Bucks and Sixers.

love has not played more than 60 games in any of the past 3 years.  he is now on the wrong side of 30 years old.  his scoring, rebounding, and shooting percentages last year were down from his career averages.

Back in 2016, Celts gave Horford 28m per year even when Horford was already 30 years old and he was averaging career lows in rebounding the last 2 seasons with the Hawks and his scoring was down to 15.2 ppg.

What about his god awful contract?

It's not that bad, but it's something the Celts might not want.

If the Celts think the contract is too risky then I think the Celts would pass on Love.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 01:23:16 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I've posted this a couple times before but it bears repeating. The Celtics are very likely DONE with "deals" heading into the season, and will not change the roster. Some posters are saying that Bulpett hinted at more moves coming. However, the day after the Kemba press conference he wrote this:

While Danny Ainge stopped short of going full Norman Dale and saying, “This is your team,” he admitted to the Herald that, barring any unforeseen stars becoming available in the late summer, what you see now is what you’re going to get.

“I mean, obviously the answer’s yes,” he said. “We brought in a lot of new guys. But you never know what opportunities come.

“But, I mean, I’m not looking to move players. I like every guy that we’ve signed, every guy that we have. Now it’s just a matter of, are we the right fit? And that’s going to be up to Brad (Stevens) and I to try to figure out the best thing. But, yeah, I’m very satisfied with where we stand right now.”

It seems much more likely that if a trade happens, it will be near the deadline.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Agree with the OP on the fundamental premise: Celtics are probably encouraging Kanter to extend his range, ala Lopez, or for that matter, Horford.

Strongly disagree on Kevin Love. That would be one heck of a defensive frontcourt pairing (not in a good way).

I like the Lopez comparison, assuming Kanter can become reliable out to 3. That's because you can pop him all the way out in the pick and roll, or try and punish defenders down low if that's what the matchup dictates.

Keep in mind that Lopez also had a reputation as a horrible defender before he got to Milwaukee. Budenholzer essentially gave up on him chasing guys out on the perimeter in the pick and roll. That turned out to be a weakness of the team's defense, but hey, they still won 60+ games and schemed around the problem in the playoffs. It would be great if Kanter turned into the same type of deal.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

Disagree

Celts have the talent

Kevin Love?

Cmon now

even if we accept this, the injuries are a concern. plus the defense by al is way better than love's. i think the celtics are better off going in a different direction. but i understand your points.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
How about pulling a Baynes wrt shooting 3s

Lopez's efficiency and range too much to expect

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2019, 12:51:46 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Count me as one of the skeptical ones. I'm pulling for him to succeed but I have to see this to believe it.  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 01:38:44 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Jokingly, under every big's shadow is a guard trying to get out.-When my son was playing anybody with size was pigeonholed into playing center and was benched for taking 3 point shots.Now its all changed, Kanter likes offensive production and being freed to shoot threes and some mid range might do the guy a world of good.In his highlights, he shoots from top of key and nails it with that exaggerated follow through  and that trot like its Curryesque automatic.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:59:38 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQo6RF3jA0

new workout video featuring Kanter. Shots looking good.

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 09:40:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The more 3 point shots he takes, the fewer offensive rebounds he will get.

Be careful what you wish for.

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The more 3 point shots he takes, the fewer offensive rebounds he will get.

Be careful what you wish for.
Agreed. i just hope that he manages to balance out spacing the floor and banging inside.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 09:45:20 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQo6RF3jA0

new workout video featuring Kanter. Shots looking good.

Wooooo!!  Love it!  Keep June clear on your calendars, peeps!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Turkish Sullinger?
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Nice to see the lateral movement drill that should be another priority .A necessity but he can breakout this year  with effort on defense.There are times, i think that picking up centers as free agents makes sense as teams give uo or they were drafted by teams with poor development  programs.