Author Topic: Windhorst: Ainge was "really upset" about tampering in regards to Horford  (Read 9531 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/12426375

The Boston Celtics have concerns about potential tampering on Al Horford ahead of free agency. The Celtics expected to negotiate a new deal with Horford when he opted out of his contract for the 19-20 season, but talks quickly broke down. Horford eventually signed with the Philadelphia 76ers.

"I don't know if you heard this, but the Celtics were, from what I am told, one of the teams that kind of stomped their feet about what they felt was tampering," said Brian Windhorst on The Hoop Collective Podcast. "Not with Kyrie, although that looked like it was lined up pretty far in advance, but with Horford.

"What happened with Horford, again from what I'm told, really upset the Celtics. They were thinking they were going to be able to negotiate with him. Talk to him about a new contract and all of a sudden it was like he already knew what his market was and he was out of there."

Jackie MacMullan countered that the Celtics had plenty of time to work on a new deal with Horford if they wanted to keep him.

"They were as surprised as we were that the money was available to Horford for the four-year deal they got," said MacMullan. "As you know, subsequent reporting revealed that the fourth year is not completely guaranteed because at the time, Elton Brand was getting killed for that deal. He was getting killed because the fourth year was being reported as guaranteed, but it isn't."

The Celtics similarly had a deal basically done with Kemba Walker before the start of free agency.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I was "Really Upset" that Irving played like trash when it matters

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

The Boston Celtics have concerns about potential tampering on Al Horford ahead of free agency. The Celtics expected to negotiate a new deal with Horford when he opted out of his contract for the 19-20 season, but talks quickly broke down. Horford eventually signed with the Philadelphia 76ers.

"I don't know if you heard this, but the Celtics were, from what I am told, one of the teams that kind of stomped their feet about what they felt was tampering," said Brian Windhorst on The Hoop Collective Podcast. "Not with Kyrie, although that looked like it was lined up pretty far in advance, but with Horford.

"What happened with Horford, again from what I'm told, really upset the Celtics. They were thinking they were going to be able to negotiate with him. Talk to him about a new contract and all of a sudden it was like he already knew what his market was and he was out of there."

Jackie MacMullan countered that the Celtics had plenty of time to work on a new deal with Horford if they wanted to keep him.

"They were as surprised as we were that the money was available to Horford for the four-year deal they got," said MacMullan. "As you know, subsequent reporting revealed that the fourth year is not completely guaranteed because at the time, Elton Brand was getting killed for that deal. He was getting killed because the fourth year was being reported as guaranteed, but it isn't."

The Celtics similarly had a deal basically done with Kemba Walker before the start of free agency.

Isn't the 4th year partially guaranteed?

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Wasn't it also tampering when they went into negotiations with Kemba Walker before even June 30th

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Wasn't it also tampering when they went into negotiations with Kemba Walker before even June 30th

if you aint tempering you aint trying, and it aint tampering till you get caught.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Yes.  That's what she said. 

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I don’t think there is any way we were giving him 86 for 3 anyways so it doesn’t really matter. Plus we probably did tamper with walker as others said

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Thanks, I must have misread. The partial guarantee is 14 million,yes?

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It’ll be pretty easy to fully guarantee that last year, though. The Sixers just need to make the Finals one of the years Horford is there.

As for the Kemba tampering, I agree that some communication must have slipped through, but he was always getting the max. The team that signed Horford always needed to ‘negotiate.’ It seems mor egregious to me.

Either way, thanks for helping us out, Al. Now let’s hope for your steep decline.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It does seem like the Celtics were caught napping on this one. It's not tampering to talk to your own player before the process officially starts. Didn't they technically tamper with Kemba? I don't know if it would have made a difference, because he appeared to have his mind made up. I think the reports he didn't want to play C were accurate. He knows he's getting older and playing alongside more talent would lessen the load on his body. If he stayed in Boston, even with all our talent he'd still have the same high level of responsibility as our primary frontcourt player. Now he doesn't have to guard Embiid anymore and he'll have help inside when defending Giannis.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Thanks, I must have misread. The partial guarantee is 14 million,yes?
yes

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
It’ll be pretty easy to fully guarantee that last year, though. The Sixers just need to make the Finals one of the years Horford is there.

As for the Kemba tampering, I agree that some communication must have slipped through, but he was always getting the max. The team that signed Horford always needed to ‘negotiate.’ It seems mor egregious to me.

Either way, thanks for helping us out, Al. Now let’s hope for your steep decline.
That's not accurate.  Making the finals one of the 3 years increases the guarantee from 4yr/97M to 4yr/102M.  To be fully guaranteed (4yr/109M) the team he's on has to win a championship. 

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Another reason to dislike Al Horford.

He blew the Celtics off instead at least giving them a chance to match the offer or come close.

Not that I'm an Ainge defender, but something with Horford signing with the Sixers really doesn't sit well with me (not like Horford cares.)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Kemba wanted the 5 year max from Charlotte and they weren't prepared to offer it to him. This was common knowledge 3 days before free agency started.
https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/hornets-offered-kemba-walker-less-than-max/501957

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

if you aint tempering you aint trying, and it aint tampering till you get caught.

Well, there's ways to get caught. It's obvious tampering was involved with Horford and Philly.

Horford opted out back on June 18th and immediately after there were rumors that he was already gone with a "mystery" team willing to offer him a max. Pretty easy to figure out tampering was going on.