Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 33431 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2022, 05:37:43 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
So for the soccer experts here, what are our chances against the Netherlands on Saturday?
I think on our day we can beat anyone except for France or Brazil. That said I'm sure the Netherlands will be favored.

I'm trying to think of an NBA equivalent for us - maybe Cleveland last year?  There are some guys on our team who may be in line for some big time contracts from top European teams but that'll come in the summer or maybe a year or 2 down the road.

We've never had this kind of talent - though unfortnately we don't have a good striker which will be a problem vs good teams. That play were Hadji Wright kind of walked in, got off a weak shot and the keeper stopped it easily...the Harry Kane's of the world bury that like 8 times out of 10.

I feel like if USA plays like they did against England, they have a good chance. In that game they had control, were aggressive and kept England from scoring. The problem is that USA has a tough time capitalizing and actually scoring. If they were to play that way, they might play just well enough to take it to penalty kicks.

By the way, I think USA is very similar to this year's Patriots team. They are able to control the game, play good defense, but whenever they get on the red zone they don't score.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2022, 05:47:13 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
So for the soccer experts here, what are our chances against the Netherlands on Saturday?

The good and bad thing about soccer is that on a good day anyone can really beat anyone...you can park the bus Mourinho style for 89 minutes and then counterattack for 1 minute and score and win the game. The bad thing is that to win you have to score at least one goal...and our finishing isn't the greatest. At the top level of world soccer you need players who can find the back of the net. If Pulisic is injured that's a big loss, he's been involved in our two goals so far.

Holland have got a lot of creative midfielders who are technically very good - De Jong, Klaasen and Dumfries and a very solid defense with Van Dijk, Ake and Timber, and some good poachers in Depay and Gakpo. They're a top caliber team. The saving grace is they haven't looked all that impressive in this WC playing 3-5-2 with two wingbacks and a three man central midfield. They were in one of the easier groups and didn't look great, but they still came away with 2 wins.

It will be a challenge for the US, but at the knockout level there's not really any easy games.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2022, 12:05:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not sure about Holland. They seem strong defensively but pretty basic in attack. That guy Gapko has given them some real cutting edge. De Jong is the only midfielder there I really rate in terms being able to unlock compact defensive teams. Not a lot there.

The one thing they've done well is play controlled football. Van Gaal has done a good job of minimizing exposure. Not a top team but I like the way Van Gaal is maximizing them. Good team spirit.

« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2022, 03:12:17 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Not sure about Holland. They seem strong defensively but pretty basic in attack. That guy Gapko has given them some real cutting edge. De Jong is the only midfielder there I really rate in terms being able to unlock compact defensive teams. Not a lot there.

The one thing they've done well is play controlled football. Van Gaal has done a good job of minimizing exposure. Not a top team but I like the way Van Gaal is maximizing them. Good team spirit.

This is quite true, we are strong in the defense, we actually have few world class players who are just on the Bench. The midfield we are really missing Wijnaldum and De Jong is indeed the only world class player. The attack is just mediocre hence the majority of our country is not very positive.

That being said, Van Gaal, although not managing to play very attractive football has generated an excellent teamspirit. The team has a solid base and is just really hard to beat. Since he is the coach they have not lost a single international game. And that includes multiple wins vs Belgium, draw vs Germany etc. The streak is now at 18.

We need our 'attacking' left and right back to get back in to form because they have been terrible and they should add some attacking impulse which they are clearly not doing. The nation is looking at Gakpo who is at the verge of becoming an international star, if not already.

Gonna be a good game. I truly like Adams, the defensive mid-fielder from Leeds... he has been great this WC.

« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2022, 04:10:43 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351

This is quite true, we are strong in the defense, we actually have few world class players who are just on the Bench. The midfield we are really missing Wijnaldum and De Jong is indeed the only world class player. The attack is just mediocre hence the majority of our country is not very positive.

That being said, Van Gaal, although not managing to play very attractive football has generated an excellent teamspirit. The team has a solid base and is just really hard to beat. Since he is the coach they have not lost a single international game. And that includes multiple wins vs Belgium, draw vs Germany etc. The streak is now at 18.

We need our 'attacking' left and right back to get back in to form because they have been terrible and they should add some attacking impulse which they are clearly not doing. The nation is looking at Gakpo who is at the verge of becoming an international star, if not already.

Gonna be a good game. I truly like Adams, the defensive mid-fielder from Leeds... he has been great this WC.

Nederland reminds me of Brazil in 1994...they didn't really have a lot of creative players in midfield, they had Dunga, Zinho and Mazinho who were all defensive minded players, then they had a strong back line in Aldair and Marcio Santos. Their most creative midfielder in Rai was largely on the bench and their most creative wingback Leonardo was suspended after the US-Brazil game. But they had a brilliant attack in Romario and Bebeto. I kind of see this Dutch team as similar, they're not flashy but they have guys up front in Depay and Gakpo who are ruthless at taking chances and they are hard to create chances against with that back three.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2022, 12:02:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Australia beats Denmark 1-0 to take 2nd behind France.  France who was losing until the 98th minute when they tied Tunisia.  France was going to win the group even if they lost, but still was a bit surprising to see them trailing to Tunisia.  And then as I'm typing this, VAR removes the goal.  Wow.  Tunisia beats France, though it makes no difference as France wins the group and Australia takes 2nd.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2022, 12:04:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
OMG WHAT A GAME.

Most of that 2nd half + stoppage time were very nerve-wracking. But so glad we got the win and are advancing to the knockout round!  ;D

Our department plays all the WC games and just like for the Wales game, almost all of us sat to watch the game haha. Very fun (and nerve-wracking). The games are all playing and we watch when we have time or feel like it, but we also have some co-workers from other countries so we follow those too (Germany, Australia, Spain, etc.). Next up? Probably a "watch party" for Australia tomorrow then Germany Thursday lol

Soccerroos advance! My friend is ecstatic lol

That was a pretty disappointing WC in general for Denmark though
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2022, 12:08:28 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1219
Tunisia just beat France! The world champs actually equalized during injury time but it was disallowed by VAR. France still ended at the top of their group.

« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

The good and bad thing about soccer is that on a good day anyone can really beat anyone...you can park the bus Mourinho style for 89 minutes and then counterattack for 1 minute and score and win the game. The bad thing is that to win you have to score at least one goal...and our finishing isn't the greatest. At the top level of world soccer you need players who can find the back of the net. If Pulisic is injured that's a big loss, he's been involved in our two goals so far.

Holland have got a lot of creative midfielders who are technically very good - De Jong, Klaasen and Dumfries and a very solid defense with Van Dijk, Ake and Timber, and some good poachers in Depay and Gakpo. They're a top caliber team. The saving grace is they haven't looked all that impressive in this WC playing 3-5-2 with two wingbacks and a three man central midfield. They were in one of the easier groups and didn't look great, but they still came away with 2 wins.

It will be a challenge for the US, but at the knockout level there's not really any easy games.

TP to you and TheBigTicket23. These are great breakdowns.

Kind of like what others have mentioned, the U.S. have played great so far this tournament BUT they really need to cash in on their chances if they want to beat the Netherlands this weekend. I really don't think 1 goal is going to be enough, they'll need at least 2. I can see them winning with a 2-1 score, but I really can't see them winning 1-0. Hopefully Pulisic is ready to go, we'll need him.

Netherlands have looked a tad shaky during the tournament but Gakpo is also someone to watch out for. He has 3 of Netherland's 5 goals so far this tournament. Netherlands' defense is pretty stout, won't be easy to break through and when the U.S. do, they really need to cash in. They won't have too many opportunities otherwise

In general though, I also wish the U.S. would just play aggressive and ATTACK all game long. In both the Wales and Iran games, they played awesome in the first half, had 1-0 leads but then decided to basically "sit back" and let Wales/Iran unleash on them in the 2nd half. It cost us against Wales with the mistake leading to a penalty kick equalizer, and Iran had some great chances too late in the game to tie it.

Netherlands will rightfully be favored, but I think the U.S. do have a shot especially if they play like they did against England. It'll come down to cashing in on the chances though. I really think someone other than Pulisic has to come through (Weah? Dest?). They can't just rely on Pulisic and I'm sure Netherland's defense will prioritize limiting him
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:37:22 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2022, 03:47:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
2nd place in Group C will come down to fair play points or random draw between Mexico and Poland if the current scores hold.

« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2022, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
And Mexico gives up a goal in the 95th minute to ensure Poland advances.  I don't know if Mexico would have made it on Fair Play Points (they were 2 down entering the day), but to allow that goal at that time and end any hope is just a tough way to not advance.

« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2022, 04:17:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So four Round of 16 games have already been determined:

USA vs. Netherlands. Argentina vs. Australia. Poland vs. France. England vs. Senegal

We'll find out the other half of the bracket after the next two days with the remaining group games

« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2022, 04:20:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Ah, poor Mexico. I was rooting for them.

I was surprised how little creativity they showed going forward in the first two games. They usually have teams that play more fun football than this group showed. They were more than a bit disappointing. Still, I wanted them to do well.

« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2022, 04:26:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Not real convinced by Argentina. Very small up front. Don't offer any physical presence. It is hard to win when playing that small. You have to play very technical football. And they are good at technical football but to win the World Cup at that you have to be remarkable at it, not just good.

I reckon they'll come undone when they face some of the superior teams in the competition and I wonder if a physical hard working team like Australia despite being considerably less talented could cause them some problems in that next knockout round.

« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2022, 05:00:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Costa Rica is still in it.  Was hoping Concacaf would get at least 2 through so going to be rooting for them tomorrow (plus it would be funny if Germany didn't get a single win in the tourney).  Unless Spain beats Japan, Costa Rica is going to have to win and if Spain does win, that opens the door for Germany to advance with a win.  That group is super fascinating given the current standings and teams involved.

In the other group tomorrow, Belgium is in 3rd with 3 points, behind both Croatia (who they play) and Morocco who plays Canada (Croatia and Morocco both have 4 points). 

Denmark (ranked 10) and Mexico (13) are both already out and Belgium (2) and Germany (11) are both on the outside looking in right now and Germany has a decent uphill battle and while Belgium will advance with a win, but Croatia is ranked 12th in the world, so far from a gimme.

Pretty intriguing tournament thus far, hopefully tomorrow delivers as well.