Author Topic: What's up with DC movies?  (Read 17375 times)

Re: What's up with DC movies?
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2022, 03:32:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It was a big mistake not to allow Bruce Timm to do the animation.  He gets the Universe better than anyone.

" Timm was the co-creator and producer of Batman: The Animated Series, which premiered in September 1992, and went on to co-create and produce Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, and Batman Beyond. He also served as producer on the feature-length Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker before taking the helm as creator and producer of the animated version of Justice League, this series continued in the form of Justice League Unlimited. Timm was also the executive producer of the Teen Titans animated series. "

These were some of best cartoons/animation ever made.

I think Gunn will do fine the with film division, he get's comics and can balance story with humor and drama.

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2022, 02:37:31 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I also just do not care for Nolan most of the time.

Dude is so good he almost single-handedly brought Batman back from the dead (AKA George Clooney Batman), with assists from Bale, Caine and Freeman. He’s only the finest director alive, save for perhaps Spielberg (Nolan definitely eclipses Steven on batting average - I would argue Nolan is 1.000 to Spielberg’s .750, but we’ll see if Nolan can keep it rolling for 30-40 more years to approach Spielberg’s longevity).

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2022, 07:50:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Henry Cavill just announced that he won't be returning as Superman after all.  James Gunn and DC has decided to go in a different direction, even 1) after directing Cavill to announce his return and 2) having Superman appear in the end credits scene of Black Adam.

This is on the heels of reports that Wonder Woman will be recast, as well.

I understand wanting a new direction, but I put the fault on the scripts, not the actors.  I thought Cavill and Gadot were both very good in their roles.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2022, 09:15:21 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Henry Cavill just announced that he won't be returning as Superman after all.  James Gunn and DC has decided to go in a different direction, even 1) after directing Cavill to announce his return and 2) having Superman appear in the end credits scene of Black Adam.

I understand wanting a new direction, but I put the fault on the scripts, not the actors.  I thought Cavill and Gadot were both very good in their roles.

Oh man, I'm bummed.  I enjoyed Cavill in that role a lot.  He had the physicality for sure. 

And Gadot being replaced?  She's iconic!

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2022, 09:47:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What a complete and utter fumble, in my opinion. Who the heck cares about yet another story about Superman being young and learning his craft?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2022, 10:09:01 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Ugh!! Cavill is the perfect Superman!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2022, 10:10:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What a complete and utter fumble, in my opinion. Who the heck cares about yet another story about Superman being young and learning his craft?

Agreed.  You've got an actor who is popular with fans and is eager to do more movies.  He looks the part and can act.  Same thing with Gadot.  And, despite in some cases terrible scripts and bad directing, the movies are bringing in money.

I think this is a case of misidentifying the problem.  And, I know this isn't the most popular take, but I'm not sure that James Gunn is the genius he's made out to be.  Guardians of the Galaxy was a really fun, good movie.  Guardians II was okay.  I'm pretty mixed on The Suicide Squad.  It was better than the first Suicide Squad movie, but that was an incredibly low bar.  Gunn's version was competent, and good in some parts, but I didn't think it was great.  And, I think that before a studio starts ripping everything down to the studs, they need to be sure that the new architect is capable of greatness.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2022, 10:16:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
"Peter & I have a DC slate ready to go, which we couldn't be more over-the-moon about," wrote Gunn, stating that he and Safran will be providing an update early next year.

"Among those on the slate is Superman. In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman's life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill," he said.

As gouki said...  how many times do we need to see the same story told?  I'll be open-minded about the new movies, and will probably be going to see them, but what a mess this studio is.

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2022, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
Welp, I'm done. I wanted Snyder back but wasn't going to not see the movies due to that.
Now they've axed the one dude who looked like he was made in a test tube to play the part.

Hiring Gunn is going to make the Perk trade look like a good idea.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2022, 11:36:19 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Cavill is perfect Superman..Gadot perfect Wonder Woman..Affleck was very good as Batman..Momoa perfect Aquaman but wants to do Lebo now..Miller hard work with but did good Flash..will they keep Pattinson as Batman?

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I love the DC movies, and thought the casting of actors they had was perfect. Unfortunately, the intent is to reset everything in hopes of separating this upcoming universe from the current one. If the studio keeps the same actors to play the same roles, then will the audience realize that DC is hitting the reset button?

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2022, 11:45:19 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Cavill is perfect Superman..Gadot perfect Wonder Woman..Affleck was very good as Batman..Momoa perfect Aquaman but wants to do Lebo now..Miller hard work with but did good Flash..will they keep Pattinson as Batman?

James Gunn has nothing to do with The Batman (Pattinson) or Joker (Phoenix). Those movies are meant to be their own separate thing.

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2022, 01:33:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Honestly, the DC universe is a mess.   There are good parts and some bad parts.   The problem is most of them are too wrapped up together.   

So a fresh start would work.   

Plus, DC is already known for re-starting the universe in the comics.   

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2022, 06:27:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Hopefully this frees him up for a new season of The Witcher?

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2022, 06:57:45 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders

Hopefully this frees him up for a new season of The Witcher?
He already said he is done with The Witcher series… rumor going around he may be next James Bond..