Author Topic: Noah Vonleh is coming to training camp  (Read 11102 times)

Re: Noah Vonleh is coming to training camp
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2022, 07:18:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Vonleh can be the 14th man with Kornet the 15th man, as long as the 10th man is someone like Dwight Howard.
A single sentence that perfectly summarizes things. TP Moranis.

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2022, 07:33:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Looks like a good battle in camp
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2022, 02:27:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh
a good camp battle for most worthless bench player in the league?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2022, 02:39:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Vonleh can be the 14th man with Kornet the 15th man, as long as the 10th man is someone like Dwight Howard.
A single sentence that perfectly summarizes things. TP Moranis.

I think if we bring in Dwight as say the 11th man, that makes Hauser the 12th, then I don't expect that we would keep both Kornet and Vonleh.  I think at that point, it would be one or the other.  If we don't sign a vet center like Howard by the start of the season, we would likely have to start the season with Kornet and Vonleh but that would not mean it stays that way the whole season.

I am not sure that at this point, it is certain that Dwight Howard is any better than Vonleh.  I don't think it is that bad if Vonleh is our insurance center and Kornet is our emergency center.  I would like more of an established vet for the insurance role (and then maybe Vonleh becomes the emergency center) but to start the season, there is no real need for that.  There likely will be a need somewhere along the way but it is not the end of the world if we start the season with Vonleh and Kornet and then see who becomes available.

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2022, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

Lol well said

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

If we're lucky we can keep two or three of them...  Maybe all four.

Vomit.  It's the second year in a row of Brad leaving 1/3 of the roster useless.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2022, 03:10:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

Vomit.  It's the second year in a row of Brad leaving 1/3 of the roster useless.

This is honestly my only criticism of brad as a gm to be honest. And it is not even a money thing. I don’t get having kornet over howard or dmc. I know some will argue chemistry but by all accounts they have both been good teammates the their last 2-3 stops.

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2022, 03:33:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

Didn't Kabengele already win the battle for a 2-way contract?  No roster spot needed for him.  After that, we may well start the season with both Vonleh and Kornet (I am not expecting Bruno to win anything) but no need to panic.  You can pick up players along the way during the season.

Vonleh has played 339 NBA games including 171 starts.  I think he is a perfectly fine candidate for the 12th or 13th spot or whatever.  Kornet to a much lesser degree (148 games/35 starts) is also technically an NBA vet.  These are fringe NBA players for sure, battling for the one of the last couple of spots on a roster, but isn't Dwight Howard a fringe NBA player at this point also?

I am intrigued by Vonleh.  It is possible that he will play well enough to be a useful deep bench big.  We'll see.  Kornet is what he is, still may not make it on the opening night roster, but he is fine to keep a seat warm for now.

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2022, 03:38:31 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

This is honestly my only criticism of brad as a gm to be honest. And it is not even a money thing. I don’t get having kornet over howard or dmc. I know some will argue chemistry but by all accounts they have both been good teammates the their last 2-3 stops.

But who says either of them want to come here if they've been told they might get a lot of DNPs?  You think they haven't called?  And if they haven't, has any team?  I think a number of teams, Celtics included, have checked with those guys, and have found players looking for more playing time than is available, which is why they remain unsigned right now, hoping that a Durant or Mitchell trade opens up minutes somewhere.

As for Vonleh, he's not great.  But it's not like he's inexperienced (171 career stats, 339 career games, over 5600 career minutes.  He even has a couple of playoff starts.)  He only turns 27 later this month.  He also has the best career defensive rebounding percentage of anyone on the Celtics roster.  Better than Al or TimeLord.  It's not like he's completely without any NBA skills.  I'm not sure he makes the roster, but if he's beat out, presumably that means the Celtics found someone better.  If not, you could do worse than him for a 5th big.

Getting a guy who's bounced around and out of the league for his 20s didn't bother Golden State last year with Gary Payton Jr.  It's never bothered Miami.  Sometimes it just clicks later for people, and I think it's fine for the Celtics to see if they find a diamond in the rough for the back 4 or 5 (depending how you count, as the team already thinks they found one in Hauser).  What's critical is being willing to use one of the mid-sized TPEs at the deadline, or before, if the first months of the season indicates there is a real need.

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2022, 03:41:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

Didn't Kabengele already win the battle for a 2-way contract?  No roster spot needed for him.  After that, we may well start the season with both Vonleh and Kornet (I am not expecting Bruno to win anything) but no need to panic.  You can pick up players along the way during the season.

Vonleh has played 339 NBA games including 171 starts.  I think he is a perfectly fine candidate for the 12th or 13th spot or whatever.  Kornet to a much lesser degree (148 games/35 starts) is also technically an NBA vet.  These are fringe NBA players for sure, battling for the one of the last couple of spots on a roster, but isn't Dwight Howard a fringe NBA player at this point also?

I am intrigued by Vonleh.  It is possible that he will play well enough to be a useful deep bench big.  We'll see.  Kornet is what he is, still may not make it on the opening night roster, but he is fine to keep a seat warm for now.
No, Dwight is most certainly not a fringe NBA player at this point.  He is a bench guy, but still puts up quality numbers in a consistent role with consistent playing time.  The last 3 seasons, he has averaged basically 7 and 7 in 17.5 mpg (slightly lower last year).  Has started 35 games in a pinch those seasons and has played at least 60 games in all 3 of those years.  He has generally been regarded as a good teammate and played well during the Lakers title run and for the Sixers in their ECS appearance 2 seasons ago. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2022, 03:42:54 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

Why are you sure that Dwight or Cousins are even willing to sign in Boston?  I don't think it is a given.  I could see Howard only wanting LA or MIA or something like that.  Cousins, I have no idea what might be in his head but he really isn't the kind of Center that we need.  They have both (along with Whiteside) been out there for the entire off season and have not signed.  There could be a lot of reasons for that other than just that the Celtics have not made an offer.

If it were me, I don't think Howard or Cousins are going to help us anyway.  I am just as happy with Vonleh who is probably a little hungrier.  Whiteside is more intriguing to me but he may be holding out for something more than the min (there are a few exceptions still out there) or he may have a narrow list of teams.  I don't know but I find it hard to believe that no team has made an offer to any of these 3 and I would be surprised if the Celtics have made no offer to any of the 3.

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I can see why the team doesn’t want DMC, Howard, Whiteside. They’re preaching the importance of chemistry and team. Will any of those guys fit into the role the team needs them to fill, and embrace that role? We have had recent experience with Tristan Thomas (who told the young guys the regular season doesn’t matter) and Kyrie (where to begin). I have my doubts about these aging players, and my guess is that the front office does as well. I am an especially hard no on Whiteside. had an eye on him when the Cs played the Jazz - I don’t think I have ever seen an NBA player take so many plays off on defense. It was blatant, and it was disgusting. Don’t want that attitude anywhere near the team.

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2022, 04:20:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

Brad inviting guys who he feels can fit into Ime’s defensive switching schemes. 6’8” to 6’10” athletes with long arms. Similar to what Raptors are doing.

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2022, 08:51:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If we're giving camp invites to bigs who didn't pan out from the early-mid 2010s, can we send one to my binkie Thomas Robinson?

I'll never give up on him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2022, 09:19:04 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Kabengele
Kornet
Bruno
Vonleh

But who says either of them want to come here if they've been told they might get a lot of DNPs?  You think they haven't called?  And if they haven't, has any team?  I think a number of teams, Celtics included, have checked with those guys, and have found players looking for more playing time than is available, which is why they remain unsigned right now, hoping that a Durant or Mitchell trade opens up minutes somewhere.

As for Vonleh, he's not great.  But it's not like he's inexperienced (171 career stats, 339 career games, over 5600 career minutes.  He even has a couple of playoff starts.)  He only turns 27 later this month.  He also has the best career defensive rebounding percentage of anyone on the Celtics roster.  Better than Al or TimeLord.  It's not like he's completely without any NBA skills.  I'm not sure he makes the roster, but if he's beat out, presumably that means the Celtics found someone better.  If not, you could do worse than him for a 5th big.

Getting a guy who's bounced around and out of the league for his 20s didn't bother Golden State last year with Gary Payton Jr.  It's never bothered Miami.  Sometimes it just clicks later for people, and I think it's fine for the Celtics to see if they find a diamond in the rough for the back 4 or 5 (depending how you count, as the team already thinks they found one in Hauser).  What's critical is being willing to use one of the mid-sized TPEs at the deadline, or before, if the first months of the season indicates there is a real need.
I here what you are saying,but it's not a 5th big, its a 3rd "whatever we call the 5 now" and our second starts at another position.
When one of Al or Rob is out we have a problem.
One of Al or Rob missed 9 of the first 20 games last year. It started game 1. We went 3-6 in those games. 8-10 in games that at least 1one of Al or Rob were out until we got Theis. 3-4 more wins during this stretch and we aren't talking about tanking to avoid BKN we're talking about how much rest to give Tatum and still be #1 in the east.

I agree to re-evaluate at the beginning of the season, after camp, but I'm not at all for waiting until the break to address the issue.