Author Topic: NFL Off-season 2022  (Read 69017 times)

Re: NFL Off-season 2022
« Reply #615 on: September 01, 2022, 09:03:07 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't know about this one.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m
Breaking: Broncos and Russell Wilson just reached agreement on a five-year, $245 million contract extension that includes $165 million guaranteed, sources tell ESPN.

Deal now ties Wilson to Denver for seven total years and $296 million. Another massive QB deal in the books.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #616 on: September 01, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m
Breaking: Broncos and Russell Wilson just reached agreement on a five-year, $245 million contract extension that includes $165 million guaranteed, sources tell ESPN.

Deal now ties Wilson to Denver for seven total years and $296 million. Another massive QB deal in the books.

Wait until Lamar Jackson gets his deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #617 on: September 01, 2022, 10:29:43 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m

That's just how the market is going. Watson, accused of multiple accounts of sexual assault and underwent a whole investigation, got 230M GUARANTEED. Lamar Jackson is going to get PAID as are some of the upcoming extension candidates in the near future (Herbert, Burrow, etc.)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #618 on: September 01, 2022, 10:36:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m

that might make it easier to get Lamar done since it isn't fully guaranteed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #619 on: September 01, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m

I could be wrong, but I thought Lamar doesn't have an agent. So if a deal doesn't get done before the season starts, he will just play the season out.

« Reply #620 on: September 01, 2022, 10:44:05 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m

That's just how the market is going. Watson, accused of multiple accounts of sexual assault and underwent a whole investigation, got 230M GUARANTEED. Lamar Jackson is going to get PAID as are some of the upcoming extension candidates in the near future (Herbert, Burrow, etc.)

Yeah, but look at the ages.  Wilson is nearly 34.  The guys you're mentioning are in their 20s.

« Reply #621 on: September 01, 2022, 10:51:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m

I could be wrong, but I thought Lamar doesn't have an agent. So if a deal doesn't get done before the season starts, he will just play the season out.
No that is correct, but one of the sticking points has been the contract given to Watson and the fact it was fully guaranteed.  Wilson signing with about 60% guaranteed may make it easier for the Ravens and Lamar to get a contract. 

« Reply #622 on: September 01, 2022, 10:59:00 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m

Yeah, but look at the ages.  Wilson is nearly 34.  The guys you're mentioning are in their 20s.

Fair, though Rodgers at age 38 signed a 3/150M deal with 150M all guaranteed. And I think the trend now is QBs could play into their early 40s or very close to 40.

I don't really mind it though for Denver. For one, they finally got an elite-caliber QB for at least the next 3-5 years (think Peyton Manning after 2011) and at least now they don't have to worry about any "tensions" regarding contracts and stuff going into this season.

If anything, I agree that I do think while I love him and he is really good, you wonder if Wilson is really that Top-5 caliber QB. I've always thought he benefitted big time from the Legion of Boom between 2013-2016 and since then, even though his O-Line wasn't great I thought Wilson looked a lot more human. But Denver does have more talent surrounding him and a promising coach
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #623 on: September 01, 2022, 03:13:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rough one here.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
A blow to Baltimore: The Ravens mascot, Poe, suffered a season-ending knee injury during Saturday’s preseason game vs. Washington, sources tell ESPN. Poe will be placed on injured reserve and team is expected to hold tryouts to find a new mascot while Poe rehabs. Get well, Poe.

« Reply #624 on: September 01, 2022, 04:55:42 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Rough one here.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
A blow to Baltimore: The Ravens mascot, Poe, suffered a season-ending knee injury during Saturday’s preseason game vs. Washington, sources tell ESPN. Poe will be placed on injured reserve and team is expected to hold tryouts to find a new mascot while Poe rehabs. Get well, Poe.

Ravens injury-plagued season continues

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #625 on: September 01, 2022, 08:10:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m

Banking on him ageing like Brady. And banking a lot
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #626 on: September 01, 2022, 09:59:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
14m

Banking on him ageing like Brady. And banking a lot
I think more like Rodgers or Manning and they probably expect the last year or two to be a sunk cost, but they are paying for the peace of mind for the next 5 or so. 

« Reply #627 on: September 14, 2022, 09:17:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
This was reported last week, but since we talked about it on here and I didn't see it posted, I thought it made sense to post.

The Ravens final offer to Jackson was 5 years, 250 million with 131 million guaranteed at signing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34569529/lamar-jackson-declined-baltimore-ravens-250m-extension-offer-wants-deal-fully-guaranteed-signing-sources-say

That 50 million AAV matched Rodgers for the highest paid player in the league.  The 131 guaranteed at signing was also the largest such guarantee outside of Watson, whose deal was the sticking point (other QB's like Wilson and Murray had more overall guaranteed, but not at signing).  Lamar wanted all 250 million guaranteed.   I don't think any team is going to give Lamar 250 million guaranteed so if he does hold firm to that, he may end up playing on the franchise tag the next two seasons (after this one) before becoming a free agent in 3 years.  The franchise tag right now is several million dollars less than the 50 million the Ravens offered.  Definitely be interesting to see how this turns out because the contracts are just getting more and more expensive each year and is there a team out there that is going to fully guarantee 250+ million to a running QB?